Stihl's version of a Husky 359?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greenlantern412

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I recently found a Stihl dealer not too far away. What would Stihl's version of a Husky 359 be? Dollar for dollar, weight to power, who makes a better mid-class saw. 18-20" bar, cutting up firewood. Thanks

I researched the crap out of this very topic the past three weeks and found that Stihl does not offer anything that will compare to the 359 in price and quality (for that size of saw). I went with the 359 and bought it from a fantastic local dealer, he even knocked $75 off of the MSRP because of the economy he said.

Try to find a new Stihl 59cc saw that is pro quality, easily rebuildable, easy to do mods on and runs like a raped ape - and for $500. Won't happen!

359 is a step up from the 390 stihl. closest to Stihl 361 esp in engine design. However the 361 stock is faster. That Cat muffler is the 359s downfall.

The Stihl MS310 is a 59cc saw as is the Husky 359. Both are classified as "home owner" saws. Prices are comparible too. There is the Stihl MS361 but that is a pro saw and about $200 more than the other 2 mentioned. For firewood cutting, either the 359 or 310 should work fine for you.

310 is a clam shell consumer model, 359 is built on exactly the same case as 357XP. So it's basically a pro saw at consumer saw price.

Also the 290, 310 and 390 are built on the same case so if you want one then the 390 does best power to weight.

The Stihl MS310 is a 59cc saw as is the Husky 359. Both are classified as "home owner" saws. Prices are comparible too. There is the Stihl MS361 but that is a pro saw and about $200 more than the other 2 mentioned. For firewood cutting, either the 359 or 310 should work fine for you.

True, both are classified as a homeowner saw but the 359 is far from one, it's basically the same as the Husky 357xp which is a pro saw. The 359 has a magnesium case (same as pro saws) easily rebuidable (same as a pro saw), and the parts to rebuild one are priced right.

The Stihl MS310 is a clam shell design (like most homeowner saws are) is not easily rebuildable (like most home owner saws are), and the parts to rebuild the saw cost nearly as much as the saw itself does. (like most home owners saws do).

So, while the 359 and the Stihl 310 might both be labeled as a home owner saw, you will clearly see that the 359 is far from your typical home owner saw. It has all the same features as any pro saw does and should be compared to the Stihl MS361 instead of the MS310. And with a little modding the 359 will keep up with a MS 361 with no problem.

I will be replacing my cat muffler with a non cat muffler (and then modding it) in the next week so I should notice a huge gain.

The $200 you would pay for the MS361 over the 359 would be a terrible waste of money....

True, both are classified as a homeowner saw but the 359 is far from one, it's basically the same as the Husky 357xp which is a pro saw. The 359 has a magnesium case (same as pro saws) easily rebuidable (same as a pro saw), and the parts to rebuild one are priced right.

The Stihl MS310 is a clam shell design (like most homeowner saws are) is not easily rebuildable (like most home owner saws are), and the parts to rebuild the saw cost nearly as much as the saw itself does. (like most home owners saws do).

So, while the 359 and the Stihl 310 might both be labeled as a home owner saw, you will clearly see that the 359 is far from your typical home owner saw. It has all the same features as any pro saw does and should be compared to the Stihl MS361 instead of the MS310. And with a little modding the 359 will keep up with a MS 361 with no problem.

I will be replacing my cat muffler with a non cat muffler (and then modding it) in the next week so I should notice a huge gain.

The $200 you would pay for the MS361 over the 359 would be a terrible waste of money....

I would choose the Husky over the Stihl also but I was giving him the dollar-to-dollar comparison and comparible cc's, thats all.

Husky 460 is likely a closer one to compare to the Stihl 310 and the 55 likely is closer to the 290.

I really like my 359 but when doing the $$ calculations don't forget the $ 50 muffler tax on the 359.

As soon as you run the CAT 359, you will want to ditch that muffler!

The 357 muffler really helped mine but brought me another $50 closer to the price of the 357 or MS 361.

Jeff in PA

size and cost-wise= tie

performance (stock)= tie

construction= winner 359-definitely better on the 359.

weight= winner 359- about 1.5lbs lighter.

muffler modding potential= 310s responds VERY well (close to a 361)
not sure about 359, i haven't done mine, yet.

cylinder porting= winner 359- responds VERY well to porting, if you are
looking to go that route.
ported.
vibration= winner 359, but not bad on the 310

the 359 is the better saw and if the dealer situation is equal, i would go 359. if not, the 310 is a good saw, just not quiet as nice as a 359.

How do you figure $200 more for a MS361 ?? He said he paid $500 for the 359, I paid about $580 for my MS361. It sounds like the 359 is a good saw, but for $80 more, I would take the 361.

Latest posts

Back