Stilh 039 worth it or not ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well its been 2 weeks in the makes but I finally got the 039 . It took a while to finish the deal but heres how it played out. The guy I got it from did not want to be without a saw so I bought the lumbard from him for 75.00 I told him I would get the lumbard going and bring it back after I got it running. So
after a carb kit,fuel lines and starter rope I took it back to him and we finally made a deal I gave the lumbard back plus 50.00 more so now I have 125.00 plus the carb kit and my time invested. I think I did ok . The compression is 130 psi when its warm. The piston looks great and there is no broken or melted plastic and it runs good. I have the muffler off to look at the piston so I'm going to go ahead and do a muffler mod . It also came with a 18" and
a 20" bar and chain. I think the guy knows the stihl is the better of the two saws but he said the lumbard belonged to his father and he passed away last year so there is some personal value there. And I just like to bring old saws back to life. I will post some pictures of the 039 later

Dan

Well done, sir. The man got a saw that meant something to him and you got a nice 039. I think the 029 (same saw, smaller displacement) is not as well liked because of the power/weight ratio. No such prob with the 039! There is no question that they last and are strong runners.

Here are the pictures of the saw . It needs a good cleaning but it runs great .
It is really quiet but I will take care of that real soon.

0391.jpg

0392.jpg

0393.jpg

0394.jpg

Here are the pictures of the saw . It needs a good cleaning but it runs great .
It is really quiet but I will take care of that real soon.

You did real well, dude. Thanks for sharing.

I paid $275 for mine last year with a 25" bar and extra chain. Original owner bought it in '95 and barely used it. I hardly needed it, but it looked lonely sitting by the road on my way to the beer store -- hehe.

Pulls the 25" chain in smaller wood (stock), but needs a MM to effectively use anything bigger than a 20" setup in the real world. Screams with a 20" b/c.

Yours will grow on you fer sure - especially with the MM to open it up a bit more.:cheers:

Poge

You did real well, dude. Thanks for sharing.

I paid $275 for mine last year with a 25" bar and extra chain. Original owner bought it in '95 and barely used it. I hardly needed it, but it looked lonely sitting by the road on my way to the beer store -- hehe.

Pulls the 25" chain in smaller wood (stock), but needs a MM to effectively use anything bigger than a 20" setup in the real world. Screams with a 20" b/c.

Yours will grow on you fer sure - especially with the MM to open it up a bit more.:cheers:

Poge

:agree2: I did the same with mine with a minor MM. I run a Stihl 20" bar and full chisel chain.

Pogo

Did you do the muffler mod on yours or was it already done? If you did it which way did you go seperate it and remove the internals or just open it up without splitting it? I was thinking about splitting mine and adding the extra scoop like on one I have seen on here. What part of ohio are you from? I am around wilmington near cowan lake.

Dan Kleinman

Pogo

Did you do the muffler mod on yours or was it already done? If you did it which way did you go seperate it and remove the internals or just open it up without splitting it? I was thinking about splitting mine and adding the extra scoop like on one I have seen on here. What part of ohio are you from? I am around wilmington near cowan lake.

Dan Kleinman

Hey, Dan.

I sorta followed the Neal Murphy "nmurph" example, but not quite as aggressively yet. Should be able to find that in a search for MS310 muffler mod, but it's basically the same for an 039 muffler -- at least in my case between my 310 and 039. Didn't want to do too much too soon since the saw ran great anyway and I'm still feeling it out with the 20" setup. If you can't find Neal's thread, PM me your email address and I'll send you a .doc file he sent me detailing his approach since I was unable to see his embedded stuff in the thread itself.

I'm up in north central Ohio just south of the lake in Erie County -- bout 10 miles due south of Vermilion on the East Fork of the Vermilion River.

Poge

Last edited:
I see from doing a search on here the Stihl 039 is not to well liked. I have a friend who has one for sale . It's in pretty good shape runs good and has good compression. It has a 20" bar on it. he is asking 100.00 for it. Is it worth it? I would think any good running stihl should be worth 100 bucks. But like I said they dont seem to well liked on here.

Thanks

Dan

If the 039 is in good condition it is definitely worth $100.00. I had 2 of them with 20" bars. A real work horse, lots of power. I put hundreds of hours on them. I stopped using them when I bought an 046 when it first came out. The 046 had a little bit more power and was lighter. As I was in my late 40's then, a lighter saw appealed to me. You might want to look at the piston to make sure it is not scored. If it has any scoring don't buy it.

Back