Stilh 260 vs. Husky 346xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rick_reno

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
How do these saws compare in real world use? I've used Stihl for 30 years, and currently have a 056 and a 018. I'm looking for someting in between these two and was looking at the Stihl 290 until I read some posts here that suggested that saw was terrible. That got me back to the 260. Cost difference for me is the 260 is a little over $80 more than the 346xp. I just stopped and talked with a fellow cutting wood down the road, and he said he owned 12 Husky saws and was a very satisfied customer. I've never owned anything but Stihl and am nervous about changing saws. Do the Husky saws hold up as well as the Stihl?

Here we go again......... :rolleyes:

Kinda like 'Ford vs. Chevy'. Both are good brands, and both have good pro saws and mediocre homeowner saws. Both have small features as well as irritants, and both will last for many years with proper maintenance. Buy the one that fits you. The couple dollars saved or spent will be forgotten long before the saw wears out, so buy the one that feels best for YOU.
Good dealer support is important, too. If you have to order a replacement air filter or something and wait two weeks, it can be a pain. A good local dealer can make a ton of difference.

Stihls fit me better than Huskys, and I have excellent dealer support here. Husky dealers are virtually nonexistant here, so I probably wouldn't buy a Husky any time soon.

Hi Rick, treeclimber165 put it pretty well. It really is a Ford vs Chevy thing between most of the pro saws. I`ve got a Walkerized 346 that I`m incredibly happy with, but I stumbled into a super deal on a couple of MS260 Pros and realized what nice saws they are as well, they`ve had a couple of subtle improvements, now I`m gonna have a Greffardized MS260 Pro, it`s a sickness:D . The 260 is a great saw with a proven record, the 346, I believe, is on track for the same sort of following. I noticed that our local power utility switched from using 026s to 346s for their light saws, strictly a dollars and cents thing no doubt, but I made a point of talking to all the utility trimmers I see, and they all like the 346 so far, and no failures yet. I`d say go with your best dealer. Russ

Russ you truly are getting sick aren't you:D how many tuned saws does will that make for you? It will be really interesting to see how the 026 tunes up. Take care.

PS. hows that 385?

That`ll Be Five...

truly tuned saws, MS260, 346, 357, 372, and 385, and then of course I have the infamous 345 with the B@stardized muffler which is a surprisingly good cutting saw. I usually have it in the box on my fourwheeler and beside all the nasty old stuff that needs cutting, it has dumped and bucked some pretty good sized trees( for a 45cc saw) but I would only recommend that fools like myself use it for felling anything bigger than about 12" dbh. My only hesitation in recommending the 345 with a muffler job for the average Harry Homeowner is that I don`t know how long it`s going to last, but so far so good. I am pretty sure that it`s a throwaway when it starts to run down though, not too sure about rebuildability. As for the 385, any 385 is good, I`ve got a Greffardized 385:eek: Oh yeah, I`m filling Mason jars for my full race KD3120, or that custom jugged job some of you guys were talking about awhile back. I`d like to see it happen! Russ

Russ if those saw havent satisfied you nothing will. I forgot about the bastardized 345, you never talk about it anymore:(
There is always a special place in your heart for the saw with the first muffler you butchered isnt there:D
Mine was a 33cc Poulan that I sold to some Russian guy on Ebay

Russ, was there a noticable difference (in power)) when you did the 345? My son has a 345 and ever since I did the mufflers on my 346 and 372 he has been after me to do his. What do you think?

Jeff

rick,

get the 346!! I've had 026's, and dont like the master control, the soft antivib, or the power- as much as the 346. But, having never run a stock 346, i'm not the best judge. many have compared them, and found the 346 to have a bit more cutting speed.

Mine has been modified by Dennis Greffard into the most amazing little saw imaginable- highly recommended. power gains are huge!! I've seen them as low as $332 on the net!!

Some mention the high rpm and single ring of the 346 as possible durability issues. May be a problem, but time will tell. The saw is fairly new to the lineup, but I've a 154 Husky (single ring) for 17 years, it is a high rpm powerhouse.

All my other Huskys have been great. I've also had many Stihl's over the years; great saws, but now I feel Husky is a bit better product.

Last edited:
I vote 346

I love my 346, but it's modified, and I haven't used a stock version. I have used a 026 some, but it had the "green link" chain, and was un-modified, so an unfair comparison. I do like Husky's air filtration and anti-vibe better than Stihl's. I also prefer the Husky's feel and balance over the 026.

The 346 needs to be sharp and well-maintained to realize its peak performance (which I find astounding for its size and weight), whereas the Stihl seems less high-strung and may be a bit more forgiving if you tend to push your maint. intervals.

Certainly both are good tools, and I doubt you'd be disappointed in either. Try 'em and decide which you like better.

oh well got say it. was in the barber shop and run into the only guy i know around here thats involved in a big operation. he said they switched out to husquevarnas,2 yr ago. to quote him. good saws but the repair cost are up some. said they run over 100 saws.
didnt say anything bout switching back tho. kinda a ford ,chevy thing was his opinion too. only thing interested him was bottum line.i like my stihl ,but truth is,thats the way i am.i aint on none o their payrolls.just appreciate a well made tool.

is the company production up? I guess what I mean if its not - why did he switch?

I'm partial too but only because Husqvarna makes a better saw.:blob2:

I've Had both

I have owned both saws 260 and the 346xp.The 346 is stihl at my house while the stihl is long gone, after getting my last stihl in an attempt to prove they suck I'm having it power tuned and in the end will mostlikely sell it because it's a mind thing.Ups Lost the saw for the time being and hopefully it never comes back.

But I will give them one last try since the person going tompower tune that saw said I would be happy with it. I can only PRAY.

To me anything that is white and orange has to GO. I feel the Stihl saw has seen it's day and they are not the saw daddy owned.

The 346xp I have is tuned and runs a 16" bar.I grab that saw more and more and it's always a toss up between the 346 and my 357.

Re: I've Had both

Originally posted by Marky Mark
I feel the Stihl saw has seen it's day and they are not the saw daddy owned.

boy you nailed that on the head - i like the old stihls, the new ones dont hold a candle to the huskies of today. :blob2:

Whats teh saw going to be used for and what dealer support can you get ??

OK I have both saws (well one 346xp and 2-026 Stihls)... I would say since I have my 346xp w/ muffler mod set-up with .325 .050 Narrow Kurf chain with the rakers at about .040 running an 8 tooth rim its a great "high speed limbing saw" It loves wood around 8"-10" in diameter... Above that it can't maintain the RPM it needs to "SCREAM" (kinda like a 125cc MX bike- super power at high RPM but it has no torque). It can top out a tree better than any other saw I have. But if you are looking for an all around firewood cutting saw I would lean towards the Stihl 026. The MS260 might be a better all round saw in this category.

You guys are "extremists" (as am I) and need to consider average "Joe" kinda guy...
Other factors are dealer support and local availability for parts, chain and service. I really dislike the Husqvarna side tensioner in the side cover (never in the right position when changing bars and chain) the out board mounted clutch is also a nuisance...

The MS260 "Pro" is an answer to an non-existent problem... A decomp valve is not needed on a 50cc saw (and in fact can leak off compression) and an adjustable oiler is not needed for the bar lengths that anyone would use on this saw.

Jeff

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back