Still 011AV Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotzskillz

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey all,

I recently picked up an 011av and I am currently having a issue where its trying to fire about halfway through the starting pull. This causes the cord to almost be ripped out of my hand. I know this is kinda common for older, larger saws but I know (from previous experience) this shouldn't be happening with this saw.

Some background. When I first received the saw I threw some gas in it and after a few pulls it started no problem. It seemed to run fine though I only ran it for a minute. This was without the bar.

I then proceeded to replace the air filter and vent line. I also pulled the clutch (used the stop tool) and cleaned out all the built up sawdust/oil. The throttle movement was a little rough and I found that the cable casing was cracked but it didn't seem to effect function(new one on the way). I then reassembled the saw (with bar and chain) and adjusted the plug gap (it was a little wide).

When I tried to start the saw again it took a few pulls to get it to start and it would quickly die. Try to start it again and it would run but would die when given throttle. After a few times of doing this I got it to run and accept throttle. I lightly revved it a few times and let it idle a bit to see if it would die and all seemed fine.

I tried to start it again the following morning to do some test cuts and this is when it started firing during the pull and yank the cord out of my hand.

I plan to check the flywheel key to make sure its not sheered and also replace the spark plug with a known new one, but that have to wait till Tuesday. In the mean time I wanted to see what everyones thoughts were on what could be causing this?

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Chris

Update,

So I had some time to work on the saw today. I pulled the recoil cover and found that the cover and around the flywheel was packed with saw dust. I clean as much out as I could with picks and air. I also made sure the starter paw was working smoothly and not hanging up. I replaced the spark plug and the throttle cable as well.

I decide before digging any further into it that I would try starting it a see if/how it runs. To my surprise it started and ran without a problem. It may still need a little tuning but ill have to do some research on that as I haven't don't much tuning with chainsaws. Oh and it looks like the oil pump isn't working either... oh goody.

If the problem returns you'll be hearing from me again.

Thanks for y'alls help!

As you said check the flywheel key. Whenever a starter snaps back hard on me that’s the first thing I check. I had an 066 almost break my fingers it snapped back so hard, as soon as I pulled flywheel the key was sheared off as expected.

As you said check the flywheel key. Whenever a starter snaps back hard on me that’s the first thing I check. I had an 066 almost break my fingers it snapped back so hard, as soon as I pulled flywheel the key was sheared off as expected.

Thanks Dean-O. Yeah, as I keep thinking about it I probably should still check the key just in case. That'll also allow me to clean the rest of the crud around it.

You'll find a rather unique oil pump on that one

Professor, Im just hoping all the parts are in good shape and its just clogged up or stuck. Looks like the diaphragm is almost unobtainium these days.

The oiler on those I've been lucky enough to run some diesel or kerosene through them and they usually start pumping on there own pretty quick.

Update #2,

So I pulled the fly wheel and thankfully, for me, the key was intact and undamaged. I also cleaned everything I could before reinstalling it and adjusted the coil gap.

Once I get the oil pump working I'll work on making sure the tuning is correct.

The oiler on those I've been lucky enough to run some diesel or kerosene through them and they usually start pumping on there own pretty quick.

Thanks for the tip smokey7. I'll be picking up some kerosene this weekend, need it for the garage heater anyways, and will give it shot. Better than risking trying to take it apart without ruining anything.

It's pretty easy it's right under the bar studs. It's got 3 or 4 screws. Very simple system.

Back