StockBridge Climbing Preparation

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't scream the backyard deal too hard.

Moss is an excellent tactician. If I were you I would contact him directly though PM or whatever and beg on hands and knees for him to give you some tree time...

The feds can fly over my house and yard all they want I don't have anything to hide, my friends do.

I'll give Moss a few days and I'll start hitting him up PM.

The feds can fly over my house and yard all they want I don't have anything to hide, my friends do.

I'll give Moss a few days and I'll start hitting him up PM.

Good deal. I bet Moss can help you out.

And on the weed deal, we are talking Colombian Gold days for me... Hopefully you will outgrow it too. Remember, no funny stuff up in the trees. There's a time to work and a time to play. You need your wits about you when you're learning and working.

pinkfloydeffect are you going to be going to stockbridge in the fall?

I need to complete my basic Math and English 101 classes at my local community collage before I can be transferred to Umass so I'm looking at a year from nowish. And my SAT's

Good deal. I bet Moss can help you out.

And on the weed deal, we are talking Colombian Gold days for me... Hopefully you will outgrow it too. Remember, no funny stuff up in the trees. There's a time to work and a time to play. You need your wits about you when you're learning and working.

Anything that was high grade then is now high mid grade these days. Thi stick is now considered junk compared to what is available. Absolutely, I'm huge on safety I fear death at the highest levels. Clear minded is always more productive :)

Last edited:
oh ok that's smart im at stcc getting some of my gen eds out of the way and taking landscaping. Just got my letter on Saturday and ill be up there in the fall.

When i started climbing i went out an got a saddle, rope, prussic, throwline and all the hard where about a year ago. After that i got my spikes and started doing a few removals with an arborist. Start small and dong push yourself to hard at first because you will get discouraged. i know i did for a while but these things take time. I talked to Dennis up at umass and he said that the guys who come in knowing the basics of how to climb are way better off than the other guys who think they can just show up. Start climbing and ill see you up there some time when you get there.

oh ok that's smart im at stcc getting some of my gen eds out of the way and taking landscaping. Just got my letter on Saturday and ill be up there in the fall.

When i started climbing i went out an got a saddle, rope, prussic, throwline and all the hard where about a year ago. After that i got my spikes and started doing a few removals with an arborist. Start small and dong push yourself to hard at first because you will get discouraged. i know i did for a while but these things take time. I talked to Dennis up at umass and he said that the guys who come in knowing the basics of how to climb are way better off than the other guys who think they can just show up. Start climbing and ill see you up there some time when you get there.

Most definitely man Ill let you know when I'm there, stay in touch

I need to complete my basic Math and English 101 classes at my local community collage before I can be transferred to Umass so I'm looking at a year from nowish. And my SAT's

Anything that was high grade then is now high mid grade these days. Thi stick is now considered junk compared to what is available. Absolutely, I'm huge on safety I fear death at the highest levels. Clear minded is always more productive :)

Don't even get me started on Umass back in the day dude. I could write a book about that... We used to spider walk along the ceiling in the narrow halls when I was a kid... :D

Most definitely man Ill let you know when I'm there, stay in touch

oh ya man ill let you know whats going on while im up there. ive heard that Tuesdays is a 4 hour climbing lab and Thursday is a logging lab or something like that. Are you planning on going all the way or just get the associates degree?

Don't even get me started on Umass back in the day dude. I could write a book about that... We used to spider walk along the ceiling in the narrow halls when I was a kid... :D

ya and the 10 TWIGS a week for id class and then 2 from the weeks before. my boss is an alum and he tells me stories of how he just squeaked by in allot of his classes. when did you graduate?

Last edited:
I'll be sure to raise hell when I get there haha

I don't know about how long I am goign for they did not really explain it to me like that. It was explained as a basic 2 years course that could be stretched to a 3 or 4. Can anyone explain this?

I'll be sure to raise hell when I get there haha

I don't know about how long I am goign for they did not really explain it to me like that. It was explained as a basic 2 years course that could be stretched to a 3 or 4. Can anyone explain this?

Well from what i heard is that you get into the stockbridge program and then after you "graduate" then you apply for your bachelors or masters degree. I am still a little fuzzy on it but thats what the dean told me.

Oh and ive already started to raise hell up there. its a great time.

ya and the 10 TWIGS a week for id class and then 2 from the weeks before. my boss is an alum and he tells me stories of how he just squeaked by in allot of his classes. when did you graduate?

LOL, I'm a treeman, I didn't gadgiate from there, I just visited the dorms while my best friend was an Engineering major up there.... LOL!

I was community college all the way... Till I got to Georgia State. :D

Last edited:
LOL, I'm a treeman, I didn't gadgiate from there, I just visited the dorms while my best friend was an Engineering major up there.... LOL!

I was community college all the way... Till I got to Georgia State. :D

ahhhhh ok well they sure are alot of fun if i do say so myself. ive been up a few times just to visit over the weekend and well get out for the night. Southwest is a rocking place to been on the weekends.

Thanks for the favorable comments Bermie and everyone else. Been buried under day job work lately, coming up for air.

Pink Floyd, I climb at least every weekend, possible days are Friday thru Sunday. I'm out of state last weekend of April. Possibly in May we can line up a climb. I get out to western Mass. frequently to climb so we should be able to work something out.

I've been climbing rope and harness 5 years, when I was a kid I climbed all over everything, up high etc. no ropes, probably true of many of the pro climbers here. I started climbing ropes in my late 40's, taught myself at first. Got over 20 feet the first time I climbed and was pumping adrenaline, couldn't believe it! As a geezer I'd become afraid of heights, also didn't trust gear. Ok the good news is that you can get over the heights, gradual process. If you love trees and working with them you can become a good climber if you work at it. Also... welcome to the human race, everyone's afraid of death, that's what keeps us alive :) Seriously though the climbing will help put that in perspective, putting yourself in proximity to the threat helps you overcome it.

When I'm back beginning of May we'll work some thing out.
-moss

Thanks for the favorable comments Bermie and everyone else. Been buried under day job work lately, coming up for air.

Pink Floyd, I climb at least every weekend, possible days are Friday thru Sunday. I'm out of state last weekend of April. Possibly in May we can line up a climb. I get out to western Mass. frequently to climb so we should be able to work something out.

I've been climbing rope and harness 5 years, when I was a kid I climbed all over everything, up high etc. no ropes, probably true of many of the pro climbers here. I started climbing ropes in my late 40's, taught myself at first. Got over 20 feet the first time I climbed and was pumping adrenaline, couldn't believe it! As a geezer I'd become afraid of heights, also didn't trust gear. Ok the good news is that you can get over the heights, gradual process. If you love trees and working with them you can become a good climber if you work at it. Also... welcome to the human race, everyone's afraid of death, that's what keeps us alive :) Seriously though the climbing will help put that in perspective, putting yourself in proximity to the threat helps you overcome it.

When I'm back beginning of May we'll work some thing out.
-moss

That's excellent news! I'm pumped, I know what you mean my whole childhood I was nicknamed the monkey I used to free climb trees (mostly pines) I was always swinging branch to branch, no idea how I never got seriously hurt.

I definitely believe I can get over this height thing there's way too much on the other aside of the wall to give up over heights. Also if your confident on your rigging that helps I would assume.

If you can open my eyes to heights and true climbing I just might sell all my DJ and sound reinforcement equipment for climbing gear, got a few thousand into it. No need for it if I'm climbing trees daily instead.

Let me know! :)

Last edited:
That's excellent news! I'm pumped, I know what you mean my whole childhood I was nicknamed the monkey I used to free climb trees (mostly pines) I was always swinging branch to branch, no idea how I never got seriously hurt.

I definitely believe I can get over this height thing there's way too much on the other aside of the wall to give up over heights. Also if your confident on your rigging that helps I would assume.

If you can open my eyes to heights and true climbing I just might sell all my DJ and sound reinforcement equipment for climbing gear, got a few thousand into it. No need for it if I'm climbing trees daily instead.

Let me know! :)

Sounds like you'll do fine. Yep, confidence in your tie-in point and gear helps. Don't sell your DJ gear yet, I've been wanting to rig a band up into a tree, but a DJ would work as well for an arboreal tree party.
-moss

Sounds like you'll do fine. Yep, confidence in your tie-in point and gear helps. Don't sell your DJ gear yet, I've been wanting to rig a band up into a tree, but a DJ would work as well for an arboreal tree party.
-moss

Exactly. And no problem haha I can have that trees leaves bumping off, but one thing... how are we getting the keg up there?

im liking that idea.

I second lol

I also noticed that at least free climbing wise, I feel much safer in pine trees EXP hemlocks. Relating back to my monkey skills I have very quick reaction times as far as grabbing onto things when I fall, I always have anchors in the back of my head before I do anything (I could grab there, here, and over there) number one priority is to drop equipment like saws and worry about grabbing a hold, I've done it false alarm and had to go all the way down and get my #### and bring it back up but it's better safe than sorry (within a limit if your on the clock $)

I also noticed that at least free climbing wise, I feel much safer in pine trees EXP hemlocks.

Yep, that's how it works, if you've done a lot of free climbing it's a little tough to get used putting your weight on the rope not the tree. I had trouble with the transition at first because my instincts said keep close to the trunk. Once you learn to trust the gear more you can get your weight off the tree, then you discover you have much greater mobility than you ever had free climbing.
-moss

Latest posts

Back