stolen plants

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

treeman82

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My father came home yesterday from the chiropractor's place and informed me that somebody went over there the other night and stole a bunch of plants. Apparently the guy had the cops over there and they told him it was probably some landscaper. These plants were of varying sizes from good size perennials to small conifers. Several nice planters were also stolen. These items were all installed last spring as part of a landscape job which totalled over $40K I saw the chiropractor tonight and he is planning on putting out an ad offering a $10K reward for any information leading to a conviction.

What kind of POS contractor goes and steals plants from other people? I mean I could kind of see if the guy was ripping them out and had em piled up where it was obvious that they were garbage... but even then you gotta ask. I know the guy who got ripped off, and he truly is a good person, not the kind of person who deserves to be put through this kind of BS. He did say though that he doesn't care about getting the plants back... he just wants to catch whoever did this.

I've heard of that before with expensive specimens, but never an entire job. Just a sign of our times. So little moral fiber to spread around. It's unfortunate that the chiropractor is a nice guy, but the kind of person that does this doesn't care who they steal from, nice or otherwise. Does property insurance cover theft of this nature?

So when are you going to reinstall his landscape?:D Only kidding!

If you think about how expensive med sized bushes and trees are, and also how easy they are to just pull out of the ground and toss in the back of a truck (if they were just installed). I am really suprised that this does not occur more frequently.

My homeowners policy gave me $500 for a large oak I took out a few years ago due to a lightning strike. I put in for $2000.00 on the removal (not a high ball price) but the most they will cover for lightning/landscape damage was $500. They did not even send out an adjuster or require any verification at all, just sent me a check. I bet if it was more than your deductable they would treat it as a theft and cover the loss.
Greg

Wow 500$, mighty nice of them.I hate dealing with ins. people,just one more racket taking advantage of the good ole american working folk.????,this country is going to pot.Why are trucks so ???? exspensive?Rich ins. guy wanting to be a outdoorsman so he can put a Ducks Unlimited sticker on the back,wow what a great guy he is. Bet he still shoots lead shot,at the private duck hole.And,I bet he will stop and kill a snake crossing the road,and what the hell is he hauling in that truck,golf clubs!!????,why am so pissed?

More stolen plants

A couple of years ago here in my very middle class neighbourhood, at Christmas, someone cut off and stole a specimen 8 feet Colorado Blue Spruce, tree lights and even the extension cord to plug them in!!!!:confused:

Wow Thats too much trouble to dig up Plants. Here at our County Landfill they Give away Mulch Its full of Garbage Stinks theres grass clippings ect in it. every time i go to dump Brush Hedge clippings ect I see quite a few local landscapers lined up to get loaded i think Thats very poor judgement on there part to put that trash in a customers yard for pay. I bet some of them would stoop to pulling up plants.

HAd a buddy who was working in a treee in the inner city.

Guy accross the strees is installing a lawn in an area undergoing "gentrification". Tilled, sodded. Real nice job.

As this guy is picking up a bunch of thugs roll up and start putting all this fresh laid sod in their truck.

Don't even say hello.

When I 1st met my ex. bro. in law. He told me he use to cut trees also. He said when he was in high school he was paid $20.00 per sego palm removed in peoples front yards. by the local nursery.

40 grand worth of landscape material??????????????
how is that possible???? we're lucky to sell 40 grand a
week in landscape plants during season at the depot and
we unload 7-8 trucks a week (2,400-3,500 pieces ranging from
1 gal's to 30 gal's and that's not even including all of the 4 1/2"
annuals). any more details of what was stolen???????
let me know.
budroe:cool:

A $40,000 landscape job doesn't even have to have plants included in the price. When we do landscape jobs in that price range, it usually means a couple weeks of working on and off with lots of employees and equipment. That's the primary cost.

Plants certainly are a major component of the price, depending on what was present on the site at the beginning and what grading work had to be done. In a gut & re-hab job we've been at lately, the overall price included some tree removals, brush cutting, mulching, grading, stumping, and more before we even bought plants.

Essentially, a $___k can include many factors other than plants.

Nickrosis

This job was like Nick is talking about, there was a machine parked there for a couple months, plus a chipper, and lots of stone work and other stuff. The guy told me what was stolen, maybe 3 trees, some perennials, and a couple planters.

Latest posts

Back