Stop and sharpen or swithout chain?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I am leasurely cutting wood, I will sharpen one. If I am doing a production job, or cutting I grab another saw, and get at it fast. I am real good about keeping them sharp, and not hitting stuff, and have a good eye. But it happens, I bring all 5 of my good cutting saw's. Every time I cut. It takes time to change, or sharpen one. Takes about 30 seconds to pull the trigger on another saw.

Depends.

It only takes 5-6Min. to give each cutter a couple licks, but if I hit wire, or buggered up a couple teeth bad, I'll swap.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I'll just bet Dinger meant seconds, since we have the luxury of having several work saws, when one starts getting a little dull, we'll switch saws with the user and I'll touch the one up hea was using. I have a vice mounted on the trailer, it makes it really easy to do in the field. While I've got the saw, I'll go ahead and fill it up and top it off with bar oil and it'll be ready to go.
\\

switching saws is also the fastest way to refuel/oil.

sharpen in the field or in the shop, same amount of time for same amount of sharpening-but i'd hate to think i had to swap chains _every_ time i needed a sharp one. it's a matter of burning daylight this time of year.

i sharpen on the vise every morning, then touch up in the woods, rarely taking the chain off. but i'm just a woodchuck in the hardwoods.

Sharpen. Since my BIL, ole "lazer eye", taught me to file it doesn't take much longer than swapping, not that I get them quite as sharp as he does, but I do ok.

Never mind that I don't have a spare chain for "the BIG boss" anyway.

I'll just bet Dinger meant seconds, since we have the luxury of having several work saws, when one starts getting a little dull, we'll switch saws with the user and I'll touch the one up hea was using. I have a vice mounted on the trailer, it makes it really easy to do in the field. While I've got the saw, I'll go ahead and fill it up and top it off with bar oil and it'll be ready to go.
\\

Nah. I meant the whole loop takes 5-6 Min. or so.
5-6 seconds and I'm hanging a shingle to compete against the grinders!:hmm3grin2orange:

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I always carry at least two spare chains for each bar in case I rock one. I'm cutting a lot of dirty storm damaged tops right now so I am doing touch ups with each tank of mix. With all these touch ups I'm starting to get a better feel for filing. The Stihl file guide is a big help to me and really speeds up the process.

usually swap out. i can swap a chain out faster than you can touch one up. if i'm not in a big rush i'll sit down have a smoke take a quick pass with the d-bevel.

I have extra chains and extra saws (can only use one at a time!). If needed I'll just grab another saw. If they all get jacked up, then I'll swap chains. I like to sharpen chains once I get back home. I tend to do a better job filing when not in the field.

Sharpen.

I didn't think that many switched out. Sometimes I'm by the truck, sometimes I'm not. I enjoy filing, it gives me a breather and it makes me slow down enough to look everything over.

When out in the field do you stop and sharpen or take extra chains with you and swith them out?

Anything over a 20" bar and I will swap chains, I will probably/typically swap the shorter ones as well. I carry files with me and will use them if needed but would typically prefer to swap chains.

I do neither.

I am just a leisurely firewood cutter, and only cut one pickup load at a time.

I gas up two saws at home and throw them in the truck with my tool bag. I leave the gas and oil containers home. If I dull the first saw, I grab the other.

When I get home, I split the rounds with a maul and pile the split pieces.

If I want to go back for another load, I will file the chain in the shop vise if necessary.

It works for me, and I never have to clean up a gallon of spilled oil out of the pickup box!

I learned all about leaving the oil and gas in the box when tossing in heavy rounds! Haha!

Bob

When out in the field do you stop and sharpen or take extra chains with you and swith them out?

I usually have spare chain with me, but don't use them unless I rock one outn (or hit something hard in the trees, like old wire or spikes) - and just touch the chain on the saw up with a file every other tank or so, or when I feel it is needed.

a quick lick with a file every tank works for me, i didn't get good at file'en by hand changing out chains :cheers::cheers:
a little file'en often is better than a lot of file'en not so often

Last edited:
Neither! I bring extra saws and switch those out. I have more time to sharpen and clean during the week so I spend as much time as I can cutting on the weekends.

Since I bought my chain grinder, I just swap them out. I sharpen a few at a time and always bring a spare or two if i'm going to be out cutting for the day.

Back