Stop/slowdown rot in maple stump

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davewick

Reaction score
We lost the top of a 4' diameter maple a few weeks back in a windstorm. I cut the trunk down to about 8' high and there's some rot inside, there's at least 15" of good wood around the perimeter.

My question is how to stop/slowdown the rot while I perch a treehouse atop it for a few years?

THanks

David

There is no way to make a snag safer for children to play on for the long term. I would make the tree house on stilts that are structural, and have the log as an decorative accent.

The rot in the log it'self is not the issue, but root rot that will cause it to become unstable.

Continual staring at the rot will slow it down. Build the tree house at six feet with proper structural footings that are not attached to the tree and you will be left with a two foot tall table that can be capped.

I am currently working on a deal where I am gonna help a crane company remove a tree house from a 25ft Oak. The tree house is awesome, air and electricity, real nice stair case, the whole nine yards! More for adults than kids. Guy put about 10g's into it, Only to have his insurance company demand he take it down, or they will cancel his insurance! So be careful, hate to see you do the work only to get told to take it down!

Latest posts

Back