Storing saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OM617YOTA

OM617YOTA

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Went to start my pressure washer for the first time this season. It only gets non ethanol fuel with a double dose of Stabil, and was stored by turning off the gas and running the carb dry. Turned on the gas this season, started on the second pull, ran like normal.

Love the non ethanol stuff.

auskip07

auskip07

ArboristSite Member
Went to start my pressure washer for the first time this season. It only gets non ethanol fuel with a double dose of Stabil, and was stored by turning off the gas and running the carb dry. Turned on the gas this season, started on the second pull, ran like normal.

Love the non ethanol stuff.
Started my pressure washer last week and had all types of grit in the bowl. We dont have access to non ethanol free gas but i do use the tru fuel in my chainsaws

Philbert

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
. AS Supporting Member.
I used to love my 3 hp, two-cycle, Toro snowthrower with the Tecumseh engine. I would drain it in the spring, and in the fall, it would always start on the first or second pull. Used good gas, and a little bit of Stabil added to it. That’s it.

Spark plug never fouled, and it took me a while to realize that it did not even have an air filter!

I don’t like the four stroke model that I replaced it with anywhere near as much.

Philbert

Okie

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I try to store my saws in a building that does not get excessively hot in the summertime.
I use non-ethanol fuel and have several saws. Over the years I've tried dumping the fuel and then starting and letting the saw run out of fuel and also leaving the later type fuel mixes in the saw with a almost full tank of fuel. Cannot really tell any difference in the storage due to no issues with either method.
My saws were stored in a small building that got excessively hot in summer time, probably 140F and I built storage racks shelves and moved them to a building that stays at outside air temp, not the excess heat.
No carb issues since I moved the saws into the cooler building.
Couple of my saws do not re-start easily after being stored with no fuel, lots of choking and maybe priming and lot of cranking, so I just started leaving the hard to re-start saws fueled and they start easier when coming out of approx 6 months storage.

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
No one here will like what I do . But I do nothing just use star tron . I drained a few engines of fuel all I got was gas leaks were gasket dried out and a lot pitting inside the carb. I got a 272 Husqvarna that has been not started for about 10 years with the fuel never drained . I shot a video see how it goes .

aokpops

aokpops

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
I got a Briggs generator 5500 watt never drained the fuel . Might get started once a year never more than 2 pulls . The Honda at work if you don't want to mess around get the starting fluid out . Do what works most hear what they want hear . No one else pays your bills . Hang your toilet paper how ever you want to

cookies

cookies

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
High temps absolutely destroy tygon that has gas in it, keeping your portable fuel tanks and saw gas tanks clean is very important. Saws I stored dry in my attic required carbs and fuel hoses and one even needed a coil and it gets 105+f here outside and guessing 150+ in the attic. Yet they seem ok in my shed that reaches about 125 with non eth fuel in them, I dont drain them but instead keep their tanks full to prevent vapor pressure and vacuum. Anything with a float bowl carb gets run dry after use and stored full.