Storing Saws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have heard of people doing both.

Prediction: You will hear of people doing both.

I usually drain 'em if it's going to be more than a week or two, just because I'm typically not sure when I'm going to need (or play with) a particular saw next.

Have you tried the search function? Seems that there oughta be a thread or two on this topic.

Ma

storage

Prediction: You will hear of people doing both.

I usually drain 'em if it's going to be more than a week or two, just because I'm typically not sure when I'm going to need (or play with) a particular saw next.

Have you tried the search function? Seems that there oughta be a thread or two on this topic.

Ma

i put fueal stablizer in tank drain carb dry and store.
saw clean dust of take wd 40 coat bar and chain.

I put mine away for the winters, maybe four or five months, weather depending. I drain and run dry.

I have let them sit for as long as two months intending to drain them but now and then don't get around to it. I've never had a bit of trouble with them starting right up and running fine. If I am leery, I just dump the gas and refresh. But I haven't had any trouble. Perhaps the stabilizer in the Stihl 2c mix works. But in any case, I've had not problems with them sitting two months. I don't recall ever doing it longer than that.

For winter [longer term] storage I always give a complete cleaning of the exteriors.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.
Whats your opinion on storing chainsaws for a couple months. Should you leave gas in them or run them bone dry? I have heard of people doing both.

My stuff? Run it dry, pull air filter shoot WD40 into the carb/cylinder.

Others, however they want. I'll fix it when it doesn't start the next time they go to use it :)

attachment.php

I clean the saws, and inspect them so that I won't have as many surprises when I need to use them again.

Look for any damage, cracks, loose screws, parts or repairs needed, etc. Check the air filter and pull cord. Sharpen the chain, file the bar if needed, etc.

Then I run them dry to protect against gumming.

Any left over gas goes into the car with a full tank, where the 50:1 get diluted to something like 1,000:1.

Philbert

(Spell checked for your protection!)

dump the fuer reservoir empty when warm run out idre saw dry tirr stopping of motor evident by rack of sound from saw machine

You rikey my Engrish?

Sorta rike tomtrees goes to china yup a phenomenon indeed yessir

:greenchainsaw:

Back