Storing/Stacking trunk sections?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emt1581

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if there's an accepted term for sectioned up trunk. However, for purposes of mobility and space, can trunk sections be stored/stacked or does it need to be split in order to start seasoning?

I have a 1/3 acre of property. With starting to harvest my own wood the ground is going to be cleaned up real fast leaving plenty of room to keep firewood in my treeline. Then I can keep a solid 4 cords under my upper patio (on my lower patio) ready to season/burn. But I'm thinking if I find a ton of fallen trees I can section up...maybe just leave them in sections stored in my backyard's treeline and wait to split until each spring when my lower porch is empty and ready to be stocked again. That way I want get while the gettin's good rather than leaving perfectly good wood because my lower deck is filled.

Sound like a plan or is there a reason this sounds like a bad idea?

Thanks

-Emt1581

The sooner you split the wood the faster it will dry. Its usually easier to split it sooner than later. It also depends on the species of wood. Silver and red maple, cherry , and other sweet woods will start to rot quicker in log form. It won't bee the end of the world if they sit there for a long time unsplit. I just think its best to split them as soon as you are able.

Depending on the length of trunk you're talking about, those would be called logs, or rounds. Rounds are cut to stove length. Logs, usually 8' or more.

To answer your question, yes, you can store them that way, but no, they don't dry very well until split. Logs especially won't really dry very much in the course of a year. Rounds will a little because they can evacuate moisture out the ends, but still not like splits do. So, the best thing to do is just split it soon as possible. Also, whatever shape the wood you want to store is in, you should keep it off the ground.

You can call them rounds, blocks, chunks. If you have room to store the big pieces around the perimeter of your property, split and stack the wood like a fence. I'm going to pick up another load of downed Oak logs today. These were cut several years ago and still have bark on. I had planned on posting pics on your other thread about standing dead wood to compare how wet these logs are that were cut and left on the ground, versus the standing logs. I have a spot on the lower part of my property where my wood is out of sight from the neighbors. I would dump loads of blocks there. In the summer when I was mowing the grass, every time I went by, I'd get off the tractor and split and stack one or two blocks. That way I never wore myself out with long splitting sessions. But, got the wood processed ASAP. The sooner it's split and stacked the faster it dries and the less you loose to rot. If I get some picks up you will be able to see how storing blocks really does not start drying very much. As long as the bark is on and in the round it will hold moisture, Joe.

Stacking rounds might prevent them from starting to rot (if you get them off the ground on poles or something), but it won't get them drying much - that doesn't really start happening until they are split.

So - split ASAP.

Thanks for the info...okay so rounds it is. Also sounds like it wouldn't really benefit me at all to store stacked rounds instead of just processing them.

I think I'll grab a ton of stone up the road so I can eliminate the mud-pit effect, scrounge a bunch of pallets and start making good use of the 12x16 area next to my shed. I should be able to stack at least 4 cords of wood there. So I might have to bust my hump to make 8 cords right now this year but that'll get me started for future seasons so I only have to process 4 each year and will always have seasoned wood.

I've seen what I'd estimate to be 2-3 cords of wood within 100yds...of my house! Some on my neighbor's property, some on public property and some on my own land. Just gotta grab some permission and get to work!

Thanks!

-Emt1581

Get your pallets up off the ground too. If you can't source some concrete blocks for cheap, just use splits under them. Airspace under everything helps immensely - and rotting pallets are no fun to deal with, IMO.

Pallets can be free, but I also like the half round landscaping beams. They look like 4X4 pressure treated 8 feet long, but they only cost about 3 bucks each on sale. Pallets also stack well on them, Joe.

If you have a lumberyard close by, go in and see what kind of warped/twisted treated boards they have laying around and make an offer on the pile. I know here at the yard I work in, we bundle up a bunch(about a nice pick up load) and then put it out front with a small nominal price on it just to get something for it. Doesn't matter how we store the crap, brand or quality we buy, there is just a certain amount in every unit that starts to twist. Makes good blocking to get firewood up though!

I can only get to the bush when crops are off and ground is frozen so I haul home 13'4" logs. I stack the logs on crap wood usually poplar or some other rotten wood. About 400 logs in different piles at home right now and 50 sitting in the bush on the other side of the water ready to come out. It's freezing again right now so I'm itching to get back. I cut into rounds and then split and splits drop off the end of my conveyor and dry. Firewood sales were so bad last fall that I have maybe 10 cords sitting and getting extra seasoning for sale next fall.
IMG_20170122_155200.jpg IMG_20161230_165158.jpg

I can only get to the bush when crops are off and ground is frozen so I haul home 13'4" logs. I stack the logs on crap wood usually poplar or some other rotten wood. About 400 logs in different piles at home right now and 50 sitting in the bush on the other side of the water ready to come out. It's freezing again right now so I'm itching to get back. I cut into rounds and then split and splits drop off the end of my conveyor and dry. Firewood sales were so bad last fall that I have maybe 10 cords sitting and getting extra seasoning for sale next fall.
View attachment 554965 View attachment 554968

That's what I try to do also. For me the reason to store logs in whole form is to do the maximum amount of logging/skidding while the ground is frozen. Splitting and stacking can happen later, though really, I prefer doing that in colder temps also.

I can split stack at any time and any weather conditions so I have no problem getting that done. My hold up is from my yard to the bush is a very short window and can weather never be predicted. Last year it froze and we got dumped with snow so no access to the bush. Year before I spent 3 days blowing/ plowing a trail to the bush. Before I got a chance to cut one tree down we had a storm and 1 hour later the trail was full again. I work on the road a lot so I never know when I'm going to get time to get to the bush. Was off for Christmas this year and we had a thaw, no time hardly in the bush.

If you have access to stack the rounds in full sun they will dry in around two full years. If they are left in the shade they will rot before they dry. As the other guys said, keep them off the ground!

Back