Storm felling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I am surprised any such instructional video exists. I have spent years of my life playing pick up sticks after monster tornados moved through Tennessee and Alabama. Probably will do it again and soon. If anyone needs to learn that stuff just come down here. Can hardly avoid it.

Y'all be safe up thar!

Glad you liked it

I'm glad if someone liked it, was reading about the tornado times in USA so I thought it could be useful for somebody with a little video :)

be safe / Kristoffer

Can you tell me what the guy was saying when he was drawing a circle with his wax pencil on the cut stem?

Circle

Yes, thats the part of the wood that you get payed for as a forest owner, if the wood is going for lumber and not pulp !

/Kristoffer

Thank you for posting this. Very well done and informative. Even though I do not understand Swedish.

updated

SWE#Kipp:

I saw this earlier, about two months ago. (Thanks to your posting of the other video).
But this has been updated since.

I think most of those that deal with this sort of wind events fear the broken stems more than the over by the roots. The root wads are dangerous too; just that we've had more injuries and fatalities with the stems broken off from 10' to 40' up.

The video dealt with the root wad salvage more than broken stems.
Was this because that was what was most prevalent?
I've noticed some storms produce more of one or the other.

Kind of an odd little item.
The very end of the video showed an extreme leaner being cut with a v pattern, then a series of back-cuts.
It is somewhat similar to the Coos Bay cut.
Same theory that was developed in two different worlds.

Coos Bay cut ?

Did a google search for "Coos Bay cut" but didn't find any on it ??
what does it look like ? , is like the "v-cut" or something different ?
In the film they show some cuts that release the tension in the stem away from you i think you can apply those methods in more than just lying trees, or what do you think !?!?

/Kristoffer

very useful instructional video.

even if it was in swedish. was able to gleem a ton of info.
this video shows how to deal with leaners, showing proper method for a bore cut

that strap used looked pretty useful for storm damage. where are those available?

we just had a mino tornado rip thru locally

Strap

You can use a strap with two loop in the ends of it and a timber hook, but the strap with the metal clip on is sold here buy husky and jred, but I think stihl also sells them over here, they are very useful you can twist down very large trees depending on how long stem you use for leverage !!

/Kristoffer

Maybe this link can help a few out?? And maybe not, just depends on your PC

http://www.skogforsk.se/info/film/kd/storm/fald-avv500.asx

Informative but I dunno, why wasn't that leaner right at the end felled using a bore and strap release cut?

That method shown with the "V" doesn't have a hinge and risks a barber chair .... this is something that is shown in the Husky manuals as well and was part of a vigourus debate amongst tree fallers.

Or is that the suggested method for the thin ones where there isn't enough meat to do a bore and strap release cut?

Barber chair

I don't think it will barber chair due to the relief cuts made, with the "v" method you get a tree that will fall to the ground slowly with good time for you to get safe, or thats the idea with it anyway, but you should not try if don't think it will work ,,,,
"You will not get the precision of a open face cut with "v-cut" , a thing to have in mind if you want to try it !!!!

/Kristoffer

don't think that leaner used for example was large enough to do a plunge cut.

slicing a V grove, then slowly cutting in would not be an ovious technique.

has anyone else used this technique for smaller leaners?

coos bay cut

Coos Bay:

Cut in at a right angle to the lean about 40-45% of the way in. (Might want to put in a wedge just snug to keep the kerf from closing.)
Do the same from the exact opposite side.
This leaves a bit of holding wood that is straight down the center that faces the lean.

The in from the back, gingerly.

Again, no face. Directional control wasn't a concern anyway.

But no hinge of any size to sponsor a barber chair split from.
I would think this feature would make a barber chair less likely than with the triangle shown in the video.

I've never even seen it done.
But it did make it into Gerry Beranek's book.

We get a few of these leaners from snow weight most years. Typically smaller diameter Lodgepole Pine that are similar to the tree shown for size.
Guess I'm gonna have to try something new on those guys.
Just look what youy've got started.

Last edited:
thanks so much for the video i loved it i watched them 4 times all ready. and went out yesterday and tried some of what i learned.

i wish someone on this site could make a nice chainsaw safety video and show some good cutting tricks. and post it online. i would love that.

thanks
Jason

Well I have all my chainsaw certs so I suppose I'm "authorised" to make a vid .... but it'll be boring wont it?

Like the key parts are starting, grip, stance and PPE.

What else do you want to see?

hi Eric first i want to say thanks so much for sharing your knowledge with us it's real nice of you

and a basic safety course on chain saws would be real helpful for people like me that are new to using them i bought 2 chain saws this year and went all out on safety gloves eye and hearing protection for cutting up firewood and would love to learn some nice cutting tricks for cutting logs on the ground so i don't hit the ground with my chain and wedge my saw :)

after looking at your videos i tried some hinge cut that was fun.

i know your a real busy man but if you ever have the camera rolling and your cutting up logs show the Roosterboy how it's done down under ;-)

Thanks
Jason

Last edited:
Not that it hasn't been said before, but that was a good video. We do a fair bit of deadfall/storm cleanup in a nature preserve and I can think of a few guys who ought to watch that video so they'll stop getting their saws stuck or even crushed, or hurting themselves.

Thanks for sharing that!!

Latest posts

Back