Storm preppers and storm prepping.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
So most of you know by now we have a strong storm (Harvey) that is looking like it may do some damage to the gulf coast.
I've been getting ready and I had to run some earns and pick up a few things to get ready.
Feed, hay, fuel, new sump pump for my mothers house, and man the crazy's have already hit the road.
People running around like you kicked an ant bead.
Took a dead tree down for my neighbor yesterday and I have been mowing and cleaning up.
I got my retention pond pumped down so I have room for all this water there saying we are going to get.
I live in a flood zone by the way so we get flooded very easy here.
How's your prepping going and what kind of crazy storm stories do you have?

Get out of there now while you still can. 6 to 12 ft storm surge plus the rain and you are in a flood zone. You lose nothing if it isn't as deadly as they predict, but you very well may sacrifice everything if you remain. Remember all the folks who didn't heed the warnings before Katrina hit? I guess they figured forecasters had cried wolf one too many times.

This baby is a monster and models include the likelihood that it will reverse direction, return over the ocean, pick up more moisture, and go back over land. You've got a one hundred year old storm wall for protection? Too much risk. What do you achieve by staying there?

BTW, reports broadcast years before the New Orleans debacle, revealed the levies were precarious, dangerously out of date and would never hold up under hurricane force winds they were originally designed to handle, let alone the catastrophic conditions unfurled by Kat.

So most of you know by now we have a strong storm (Harvey) that is looking like it may do some damage to the gulf coast.
I've been getting ready and I had to run some earns and pick up a few things to get ready.
Feed, hay, fuel, new sump pump for my mothers house, and man the crazy's have already hit the road.
People running around like you kicked an ant bead.
Took a dead tree down for my neighbor yesterday and I have been mowing and cleaning up.
I got my retention pond pumped down so I have room for all this water there saying we are going to get.
I live in a flood zone by the way so we get flooded very easy here.
How's your prepping going and what kind of crazy storm stories do you have?

I don't want to be a complete idiot assuming I know what's best for you, but in the case of Harvey, there's a clear consensus that you need to get the heck out of there yesterday. So go man, get out

I don't want to be a complete idiot assuming I know what's best for you, but in the case of Harvey, there's a clear consensus that you need to get the heck out of there yesterday. So go man, get out
I'm not in the direct path but I will be getting a lot of rain with this one.
I just saw a report that in Rockport Tx they have wind gust upwards of 160 mph and maybe higher. There not sure because the wind gauge blew away.

Get out of there now while you still can. 6 to 12 ft storm surge plus the rain and you are in a flood zone. You lose nothing if it isn't as deadly as they predict, but you very well may sacrifice everything if you remain. Remember all the folks who didn't heed the warnings before Katrina hit? I guess they figured forecasters had cried wolf one too many times.

This baby is a monster and models include the likelihood that it will reverse direction, return over the ocean, pick up more moisture, and go back over land. You've got a one hundred year old storm wall for protection? Too much risk. What do you achieve by staying there?

BTW, reports broadcast years before the New Orleans debacle, revealed the levies were precarious, dangerously out of date and would never hold up under hurricane force winds they were originally designed to handle, let alone the catastrophic conditions unfurled by Kat.

After Rita, Ike was headed for Houston. People freaked out and the roads jammed up and over 100 people lost there life in the evacuation. As it turned out Houston didn't get a drop of rain. As for New Orleans, if you drain a swamp and build below sea level, don't expect me to have much sympathy.
I'm only in a flood zone because of new development and poor drainage maintenance from the county. It didn't use to be that way.
My house is high and will stay dry, but my yard and all the roads will most likely flood, witch means I'll have to stay put for a while.
For me this is just going to just be a high water event, not a windy one.

After Rita, Ike was headed for Houston. People freaked out and the roads jammed up and over 100 people lost there life in the evacuation. As it turned out Houston didn't get a drop of rain. As for New Orleans, if you drain a swamp and build below sea level, don't expect me to have much sympathy.
I'm only in a flood zone because of new development and poor drainage maintenance from the county. It didn't use to be that way.
My house is high and will stay dry, but my yard and all the roads will most likely flood, witch means I'll have to stay put for a while.
For me this is just going to just be a high water event, not a windy one.

How the heck are you, sb47? What happened?

Still There???
Yep still here. The water is gettin deep. I'll try and post pick once I get more light and if I still have internet. I've gotten 26'' in the last 24 hours. They said we would only get 26'' for the whole event. This is just the first day. Harvey has stalled and the rain keeps coming. Most all interstates and roads are flooded. Many are trapped in there attic at this time. Even some second floor homes are getting water in the upper floors. It's as bad as I've ever seen it and it aint over.

Back