Storm preppers and storm prepping.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is a little perspective.
20z1s1z.jpg

My yard yesterday. Still raining and it's still getting deeper.

2wp2t8y.jpg

No time to take or post more pics. Sorry. Trying not to drowned.

Harvey has dumped the equivalent of 5 days, 24 hours a day, of Niagara Falls pouring into Houston.

There giving a rough estimate at 11 trillion gallons so far.
I have lived here all my life and I have live through many storms. This one is one for the records.
Every time we get a little break and the water starts going down. The rain starts back up and were back at square one.
I have pumped out my mothers house 3 times already. Every time I get it pumped out, the rain starts and it comes back in.
I have not seen dry land for several days now.
My pond over flowed and all my fish escaped.
Places that never flood are flooding.
Now they have opened up the Trinity damn, and the spillway at several reservoirs.
Homes that didn't flood from the rain are now flooding as a result is the relises.
It's as bad as I have ever seen.

There giving a rough estimate at 11 trillion gallons so far.
I have lived here all my life and I have live through many storms. This one is one for the records.
Every time we get a little break and the water starts going down. The rain starts back up and were back at square one.
I have pumped out my mothers house 3 times already. Every time I get it pumped out, the rain starts and it comes back in.
I have not seen dry land for several days now.
My pond over flowed and all my fish escaped.
Places that never flood are flooding.
Now they have opened up the Trinity damn, and the spillway at several reservoirs.
Homes that didn't flood from the rain are now flooding as a result is the relises.
It's as bad as I have ever seen.

Glad you are alive and well. Whew! Great news. We didn't know if you were going to make it or not.

Glad your family is alright, too. We can replace stuff. It is stuff. Never met a single, solitary human being who was made happy over the stuff that owned them. Loved ones give meaning to us as we give it back to them.

Up date:
We are fine, My house did not get water but my mothers house next door did. She got about 4'' in her house.
My workshop got about 6'' as well.
The water has gone down and we are in clean up mode.
Pulling up flooring, removing water damaged furniture, removing sheet rock.
I don't have any pics of my personal situation because my camera crapped out on me.
Most of you have been watching and I want to thank you for your concerns.
As you have seen on TV Houston and all of the Texas coastline has been devastated by flooding.
Rockport, has been for all intensive purposes has been wiped off the map.

During the last presidential election and all the hate and racism that the media reports on is not the reality of the people of Texas.
The love and support from all walks of life during this on going tragedy has been an inspiration.
Yes we like all community's do have a some low life's that are a will try to take advantage of the situation.
Houston is a city of over 6 million people, (3rd largest city in America) so yes, with that many people there are gonna be some bad apples.
Lives have been lost, people have been up rooted from there homes and all there property possessions.
There are thousands that are now homeless and have nothing but the close on there back.

People have been coming from all over the country to help. The number of privet citizens that moved into action is amazing.
The clean up and recovery will be a long one. Some will never be able to return home. They have no home to return to.
Many if not most did not have flood insurance and for most it was with good reason. It's very expensive and many areas that flooded have never flooded before.
So flood insurance was not thought to be needed or not affordable for most on low incomes.
Though some lives were lost thankfully Houston did not have the loss of life that accrued in New Orleans during Katrina.

For those that have never been through such a disaster, It's sometimes hard to see how devastating such things can be.
Imagine if you will, getting up and walking out your door with nothing but the close on your back and not knowing what you will do or where you will go.

Also, many business have been devastated and are or had been under water. It's not a mater of when the water goes down everything returns to normal the next day. This will take years to recover from.
We were in survival mode, now we are in recovery mode.
We received 50+ inches of rain from Harvey, witch set the US record for any rainfall event on record.
Though we Texans pride ourselves in taking care of our own, but the reality is we will need help for many years to come.

For all Texans we thank you for you help and prayers that you have sent.
The deviousness that the media will have you believe this country has is not showing here in Texas. Everyone is pulling together to help each other. Thats the way Texans are and I believe is still alive in all Americans.
We will survive, we will rebuild, we will all come together to recover.
America is not as broken and divided as some will have you think.
Thank you to all that have come to the rescue.

Time for me to get back to work.

P.S. Donations are poring in from all over the country. There is plenty of time to give if you feel like you want to help.
This is a long term recovery, if you can't donate now, we will still need help for years to come.
You can still give in the coming weeks and months.
Thank you America, Texas loves you.

GREAT NEWS!! Thanks for the update. Grateful you and yours survived.
Historian Stephen Ambrose wrote of another time when America was devastated, "World War II "strengthened us as a country," said Ambrose. "We were much more committed to the idea of country, rather than region. People didn't speak of themselves any more as being, 'Well, I'm a rebel, I'm from Mississippi.' 'I'm a Yankee, I'm from Wisconsin.' [It was], 'I'm an American.' That would always spring first to their lips." Good stuff can come from tragedy. Your attitude is indicative of that.

I'm still in the clear, but not for long, just east of I24. Looks like a rough night ahead with severe thunder storms and tornadoes predicted.
Of course... nothing like what they are going through in TX!
Around here though, when he storms move from east to west, you better batten down the hatches. :eek:
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php

I'm still in the clear, but not for long, just east of I24. Looks like a rough night ahead with severe thunder storms and tornadoes predicted.
Of course... nothing like what they are going through in TX!
Around here though, when he storms move from east to west, you better batten down the hatches. :eek:
https://radar.weather.gov/Conus/southmissvly_loop.php

Hey You skinny, good lookin, food preparing, knockout, Don't get any ideas about gettin blown off your property. I've been battling starvation for a week now trying to get to your place with an A and P semi loaded with refried beans, powdered milk shakes, 26 tons of caviar, Ginger Ale and 30 dozen blueberry pies, towing a small ship of fresh lobsters.
Don't you go runnin off with another sweetheart. I'm sure he'd like some pie.

This is what I'm pulling behind my truck. snowboundtraps (2).jpg

Back