Storm Sandy causing chimney fires?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good grief. Yuppie prejudice delivered as news. Sigh. Mark Twain said, "People will believe any damned lie; half of them because they're afraid it's true, and the other half because they want it to be."

It would have been just as easy to say, "Don't burn green wood," but the yuppie reporter doesn't want anybody burning anything.

As somebody born in Hartford (but was thankfully extracted to New Hampshire at age 2), my reaction was:

View attachment 264645

A friend of mine had a 1/3 cord of pine he didn't want, I made a couple of boards out of the bigger pieces and the rest got cut to firewood length and stacked in the world's worst holzhauzen to be mixed in with my 2014 wood. If evergreens caused chimney fires, the Rockies would have no buildings standing....wood has to be DRY to burn.

The story SHOULD'VE SAID: Don't burn freshly felled wood. Cut it, split it, stack it, and wait a year or two.

Sheesh.

I liked the comments from the Fire Marshal:

When residents are trying to figure out what wood not to burn at home, fire marshals said one trick is seeing if it is sticky. If it is, that means there's sap and when it burns it will cause that problem in the chimney.

"That (sap) lines and coats the chimney and eventually chokes the opening of the chimney down to the point where the chimney won't function," Smith said.

Really? Wouldn't ya think that long before the sap choked the chimney you'd have one helluva chimney fire?

I came across this article from the Hartford CBS news:

Officials warn people about burning wood from trees in storm - WFSB 3 Connecticut

Where I am in CT, people were cutting up telephone poles that floated in from somewhere during Sandy, they were going to use the poles for firewood!

:hmm3grin2orange:

From the article:

David Norton told Eyewitness News..."I've been doing it for 40 years," he said. "I can tell you a good piece of wood from a bad one."

David must be a member here...

anothershortjoke.gif

Well, a number of people exist who see "free" firewood laying about and they aquire tunnel vision. The "free" is all they see.

Latest posts

Back