Story about an old Husky 61

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coffin Dodger

Reaction score
Hey folks.

First post on the forum here although I’ve been readin through stuff for a while now. I live in Scotland btw.

I’m wondering if there is a kinda addiction factor to saws?

Reason being up until a year ago, I’d never laid hands on a saw -(I’m 53 now) – always thought they were probably far too much to handle in inexperienced hands. To be honest I was a bit scared of the things as well!

Anyway, I was working with this guy who’s been using a chainsaw for years and years. He was cuttin, and I was lifting the rings and splitting on a nice tractor mounted hydraulic splitter. Watched this guy cutting and I thought, “I need to try doin that”. Well I wouldn’t ask to use another guy’s tools and anyway I didn’t have any experience so I decided on another way.

This guy had an old saw sitting at the side of an outhouse in his yard and when we got back one night, I said “what’s with that old wreck of a saw there?” Turned out it’d been sittin there for more than two years. It had just refused to start and the repair shop had said it wasn’t worth fixing, so it was brought back and dumped. Top cover was off, no spark plug, chain open to the elements. Oil & fuel caps were unscrewed as well, and both tanks as well as the jug were full of rainwater. I said “how about I take that away and see if I can clean it up and make it work?” He looked at me like I was an idiot and said if you can get old pile of junk to work you’re welcome to it.

So, to cut a long story short. Husky 61 (as I discovered) in pretty bad shape. Very bad shape in fact. After a bit of a search, I managed to download a workshop manual from the web. Very helpful.

Took everything apart except the case & crank & cleaned as best I could. There was just a very slight scoring inside the jug which I basically just gently smoothed off with fine wet & dry. I got a new ring for the piston, gasket set and also a repair kit for the Tillotson carb. Also took a look at the oil pump. Stripped it down, gave it a clean and then put it back together since it all looked ok. The pump seemed to do what it was supposed to. When I turned it manually after priming it with oil, air bubbles appeared.

After a good clean, the bar was fine, so I put everything back together the way it should be, stuck in a new plug, filled the oil tank, fresh fuel mix and put the old cleaned up & lubed chain back on. No way was this chain ever goin to cut anything, but I reckoned it was better with a chain on to see if it was goin to run. Chain brake worked fine too. When the time came to pull the rope, which was one thing I didn’t replace since it seemed fine, I was pretty nervous.

Anyway, I put it on the ground, slid the switch and gave it a few pulls. After about twelve tugs, I was beginning to think I’d wasted some money on parts. Back to lookin at the manual – specifically high and low settings. Did what it said and tried again. Fifth or sixth pull and something nearly happened. A few more and then nope. I decided to remove the spark plug – it was wet. I left it and went for lunch.

About an hour later, I came back and put the plug back in still thinkin I’m on a lost cause, and suddenly. I had a live chainsaw in my hands! Couldn’t believe this thing was running. Of course it wouldn’t idle – just died. And it didn’t seem to like running at high speeds either. Anyway, you folks know more than me about adjusting carbs so no point in describing what happened next.

Eventually got it running sweet then stuck on a new chain. THEN, I took it back to the guy I’d worked with and said hey, want to see what I did with your old saw? He offered me money on the spot to buy it back, but I decided to keep it. Over the summer I’ve lost my fear of chainsaws, learned how to use it safely and gained a new respect for an awesome tool.

I’m well aware how a moment’s disrespect for a saw could turn into something nasty. But I’ve also discovered something that’s maybe been latent in me for many years. Wow, do I enjoy using a saw to cut up timber. Hardwood or softwood - for firewood mainly. I love the environment around me and I also love trees, but like I said at the beginning, usin a saw gets you like an addiction. Maybe I’ll grow out of it, after all, I’m gonna be 54 next birthday. Either I grow out of it or it’s gonna be a new modern saw to supplement this old one come spring.

Hey, sorry for the long first post folks.

Here’s a pic of my refurbished old 61.

weesaw-1.jpg
[/IMG]

Sweet. Thats an awesome story. Most folks that have never done it, just don't ever try. Thats how i got started. I just started tearing junk apart, then moved onto bigger and better things.

Great story and welcome to the forum. I have a 61 and they are plenty of saw for most people looking to cut firewood, but I would almost bet you are going to get the same sickness a lot of us have here.
I have been using a chainsaw since I was 14 and I am 62 now and still addicted, doing my fence posts, furniture lumber and firewood.
The part about respecting the woods is also a big part of it.

Good Luck,
Jim
Cadenhill Farm

Duuuude, that is a cool story. Nice save on a great old saw! Aye, you have been stricken with CAD.....life will never be the same. But hell, some collect stamps.................we collect saws:greenchainsaw:

RD

And another one bites the dust!

Classic beginning signs of CAD......Welcome to the club!
By this time next year your old friends will start to avoid you because they won't understand the technical jargon you will saying, (power to weight ratio, low speed adjustment, stumble off idle, intellicarb, non EPA, faulty impulse....etc) But that's ok, that's what we are here for.

As the saying goes "one mans junk is anothers treasure", nice work. First and foremost be safe and enjoy your "new" saw.

Great story - I read every line. I'm tinkering with a Husky 44 that had been left for dead as well, though not in as rough of shape as what you're talking about. So I really enjoyed your story.

Dude, great story! Now, hang on to your wallet and hide the bank acct from the old lady. More saws be a comin'!

Now, if you really want to wake that baby up, keep your eyes out for a 268XP or 272XP top end. Bolts right on. You ain't seen nothin yet out of that old girl! LOL.

Welcome aboard, make room for more saws.

..... Now, if you really want to wake that baby up, keep your eyes out for a 268XP or 272XP top end. Bolts right on. You ain't seen nothin yet out of that old girl! LOL.

There was another thread on that family of saws recently, a bit more may be involved than just the P&C ......:confused:

SawTroll is correct. The swap to the 268XP P/C requires an intake manifold, gaskets on both sides of the intake, and the long 268 bolts with the sleeves on them. The top cover will also need modified to clear the spark plug, or replaced with a different one.

I did the conversion a few months ago to our 61. I won't do another one, as it would be more cost effective to just get a 268 or 272XP and build them in the first place.

Anyhow, great story and welcome aboard.....Cliff

Hey thanks for all your replies. Safety advice taken on board too, & thanks.

Kinda blushin now but I reckon I might've found a nice place to hang out in after gettin back home and cleanin off the sawdust.

I was also struck with the CAD as a result of my first project saw, a 61. It was a great saw to me for many years and always worked well. It was getting a bit tired and so as I never would have considerd a new saw, it got a new piston and gaskets. WOW:jawdrop: it came to life! Got me excited enough to come across this site, and now she's woods ported and muffler modded. Of the half dozen or so various Huskies I now am proud to own, the 61 is always the one I look at first. This CAD thing even has gotten me to purchase two new saws to date. I wish my 61 was as purty as yours! Great story, I enjoyed it!:clap:

Back