storying saws over winter.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuskyMurph

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
just wondering what you guys do with saws you wont be using for awhile. might not be cutting to much wood over the winter. should you run gas out of saw?? anything else to do.newbie to this

nick

Provided that you use normal pump gas, and you're not going to use the saw for more than a month or two, dump the tank, and then allow the saw to run out of gas at idle.

In theory, if you use an ethanol free gas or avgas, you don't have to do this.

Down here in Kansas, I only cut in the winter but same storage rules apply nonetheless.Empty tank as much as possible then let it idle till it dies, pull starter rope slowly a few times afterward with on/off switch off. Looks like 2009 was a decent year for you. You hit it out of the park with your first saw ever. Congrats. REJ2

Do what you want to make YOU happy. We have 18 work saws and they stay fueled up and ready to run on a moments notice 365 days a year. Never know when wind or storms will cause damage and they will be needed.

I do run a family recipe of mix and have had no problems in 40 years and have never had a saw to stop or show any damage from the fuel or from leaving mix in them.

I make up 10 gals at a time. 9gals. 2 quarts of AV fuel one quart of diesel and one quart of Seafoam and two bottles of Stihl or Huskey mix oil. It stays in the saws and in the mix jug till it's gone. Also run it in all 2 strokes. We run AV fuel in all other small engines mowers, splitter and such. They start anytime hot or cold and run just fine.

You will here all sorts of comments on this subject I'm just telling what works for us.
Joe (Pres. of The Sawmill Gang.)

Last edited:
Down here in Kansas, I only cut in the winter but same storage rules apply nonetheless.Empty tank as much as possible then let it idle till it dies, pull starter rope slowly a few times afterward with on/off switch off. Looks like 2009 was a decent year for you. You hit it out of the park with your first saw ever. Congrats. REJ2

sounds good. first year with my own house and burnign wood. have about 5 cords at my house....whats the reason for pulling starter rope

I use ethenol fuel because i can't get any better. I add Seafoam when I mix up the oil. I leave my filled too.. In summer when storms are less likely and it is too hot I will pull the plig and add a few drops of Seafoam on the piston.

Seafoam was made in the 40's I think for outboard motors, and it works great for me. I use it like i would 'Stable' and i think it is a lot better than that stuff.

I found the piston top clean on a sticky wicket saw that has no primer, and didn't want to start. Old Homlite.

wow

Do what you want to make YOU happy. We have 18 work saws and they stay fueled up and ready to run on a moments notice 365 days a year. Never know when wind or storms will cause damage and they will be needed.

I do run a family recipe of mix and have had no problems in 40 years and have never had a saw to stop or show any damage from the fuel or from leaving mix in them.

I make up 10 gals at a time. 9gals. 2 quarts of AV fuel one quart of diesel and one quart of Seafoam. It stays in the saws and in the mix jug till it's gone. Also run it in all 2 strokes. We run AV fuel in all other small engines mowers, splitter and such. They start anytime hot or cold and run just fine.

You will here all sorts of comments on this subject I'm just telling what works for us.
how'd you come up with that recipe or you pullin my chain. sounds like you have it figured out. i might have to try that sometime. thanks

HuskeyMurph,
I'm a fourth generation sawyer and a wood cutter. All my grand fathers before me were sawmillers, and sharecroppers. It's imbedded deep in my redneck body and soul. I have only one son and one daughter to pass this fine heritage to and am doing all I can to make sure it lives on.

I've been in the woods since I was 10 snaking logs with a mule or a tractor or whaterver they had to work with. I grew up in the woods so only fitting I'll more than likely pass from this world in the woods also. That's where I started and as age allowed I was moved up in the ranks of the woods to a feller, a trimmer, bull pin operator and stacker. If it has anyhting to do with a sawmill or wood I was in it. As for Pa's recipe he ran it for years and I still do. He ran kerosine in the tractor radiator to keep it from freezeing and to keep it cool. We did with what we had and it seemed to work. Now folks are going all high tech and I'm Sthil stuck in another more fun and relaxed day.
If you get a chance do as we do once in awhile. We have an old sawing day. No modern saws all the old gear drives axes hammers and Stihl wedges. We cut like this to show the folks that have never seen it how it was done then.

The family currently does not have a going sawmill but it's here all it needs is to set it up. Not much need for one these days. We have 18 working saw and abunch of old show offs and are always looking for more. Like I said it's in my blood. I guess the only way to get rid of it is to bleed out and start over but I'm to old for that so I'll go on as I am I'm not going to change. I Stihl wont run nothing but an o model Stihl. These new ones bite.

I would not pull your chain if I did it would have a log on the other end you can ride on. Good luck saw safe and give thanks to the Man upstairs for every day above ground.
Joe

Once I left a 266 in the basement for a little over two years with gas in it. Thing fired right up with the old gas. Let it run for a few seconds and dumped the gas. Just sayin...

The best way to store a saw is to run it. Never let the gas go bad by letting them sit still.

A saw is made to be run at 12000+ RPM's not at 0 RPM's

just wondering what you guys do with saws you wont be using for awhile. might not be cutting to much wood over the winter. should you run gas out of saw?? anything else to do.newbie to this

nick

You sure you aint from KY? I never story to my saws.... maybe to my wife.... we heck yeah, I have to story to her out of necessity, but never to my saws! But I prep 'em with some Stabil so they are ready to go at a moments notice. Hmmmm, maybe I'll slip a lil' Stabil in the wife's wine........:jawdrop: What ya think????? Should I give it a try??????:greenchainsaw:

Just dump the fuel and hang 'em back up.

If you're hanging around here much, you wont be able to let them sit for more than a couple weeks anyhow.;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

You sure you aint from KY? I never story to my saws.... maybe to my wife.... we heck yeah, I have to story to her out of necessity, but never to my saws! But I prep 'em with some Stabil so they are ready to go at a moments notice. Hmmmm, maybe I'll slip a lil' Stabil in the wife's wine........:jawdrop: What ya think????? Should I give it a try??????:greenchainsaw:

hahahaha you will probably notice from future posts dont use to much spell check. cut safe everybody and thanks for the advice.
nick

I make up 10 gals at a time. 9gals. 2 quarts of AV fuel one quart of diesel and one quart of Seafoam. It stays in the saws and in the mix jug till it's gone. Also run it in all 2 strokes. We run AV fuel in all other small engines mowers, splitter and such. They start anytime hot or cold and run just fine.
nts on this subject I'm just telling what works for us.

So you don't mix 2 stroke oil in with your mix?
:confused:

So you don't mix 2 stroke oil in with your mix?
:confused:

Nanuk you win the prize you caught me. I saw that and wondered who would catch it. Yes I use two of the 2 1/2 gal. Stihl or Huskey mix what ever we have on hand at the time. Good job.

Latest posts

Back