Stove cord equals 2/3rds of a full cord???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A "face cord" of 16" lengths is 1/3 cord, not 2/3.

Harry K

Would you mind explaining that?If a face is 16feet long by 4 feet high with 16 inch long pieces how does that equal a 1/3 cord?If a cord as you all should agree is 16 feet x 4 feet x 24 inches agreed?If you cut the 24 inch logs in HALF that is 12 inches now you half half of what you started with so how the heck can 16 inches equal a 1/3 if 12 inches equals a half?So in your estimation it is 1/3 cord so 16 inches x 3 equals 36 inches a log length in a cord is not 36 inches long it is 24 !What say all you guys good at math am i right?

http://www.onlineconversion.com/percentcalc.htm Harry type in 16 is 24 what percent of and you will get 66 not 33 percent 66 is 2/3 type in 8 is what percent of 24 and you get 33 which is one third .

Last edited:
Last weekend an old guy called and wanted me to bring him a stove cord of firewood. So, I brought him 1/3 of a cord, thinking stove cord, face cord, same thing. When I got there he told me a stove cord is 2/3rds of a full cord. We argued about it, me saying no, same as a face cord, him saying no, 2/3rds of a cord. Eventually we agreed on a price for the amount he wanted and I went and got the rest.
I told him about this website and how no one on here ever mentions anything about a stove cord being anything but another name for a face cord and told him I would put it out on here to see what you guys thought of it. I think back in the day, that may have been possible, but not today.

Any comments would be interesting!
Thanks!
Ted

How did you calculate that 1/3 cord?

How did you calculate that 1/3 cord?

This is exactly the problem with using a non standard volume measurement. Around here a "face cord" or "rick" is generally considered one row of wood 4' high by 8' long. If it is cut to 16" then you have 1/3 of a cord. 24" wood is 1/2 of a cord. This is the definition of face cord other posters are using to calculate. Your definition of face cord is different than other's and that is the basis of this thread.

I don't sell firewood but if I did, I would make sure the definition of non standard measurements was understood by both parties before delivering any wood.

Have you noticed that almost every post is from folks north of the Mason-Dixon line? Look at all the adds for wood in my area and you won't see them priced by the cord, just a fact. Although it is not legal, 99% of the wood sold in this area will be advertised and sold by the rick. 4'x8'x however long you want your firewood. This year I've seen it priced from 25.00 you pick up, to as low as 35.00 delivered and throw off, up to 45.00 delivered and stacked. The weekend warrior wood sellers all have a single row of wood 4' x 8'x 18"-20" stacked between two fence post in their front yards as close to the highway as they can get with their price signs hanging on them, it's just the way it's done in my neck of the woods.

WoodChuck

The following is from Measurement Canada:

Terms that are not recognized (illegal) for the sale of firewood in Canada include:

* apartment cord
* furnace cord
* rack of wood
* short cord
* bush cord
* pile of wood
* tossed cord
* single cord
* face cord
* processed cord
* truckload of wood
* stove cord

Anyone ever heard of an "apartment cord"?

I suspect that a "stove" cord was a "face" cord that was cut to 12" lengths.

I am wondering how much a a apartment cord a woodchuck can chuck.

Have you noticed that almost every post is from folks north of the Mason-Dixon line? Look at all the adds for wood in my area and you won't see them priced by the cord, just a fact. Although it is not legal, 99% of the wood sold in this area will be advertised and sold by the rick. 4'x8'x however long you want your firewood. This year I've seen it priced from 25.00 you pick up, to as low as 35.00 delivered and throw off, up to 45.00 delivered and stacked. The weekend warrior wood sellers all have a single row of wood 4' x 8'x 18"-20" stacked between two fence post in their front yards as close to the highway as they can get with their price signs hanging on them, it's just the way it's done in my neck of the woods.

I know... :dizzy: Fortunately, I've got a handfull of customers who know that a cord is 128 cubic feet tightly stacked, and we measure when we're done unloading... Takes the stress out of my life... A fellow asked me the other day how much was on the gooseneck I pulled in with... I just had to say, "I have no idea... Let's stack it up and measure..." I've found people kinda like that... Takes the guess work out... Plus they tend to help stack it that way, cause the tighter they can get the pieces, the better deal they get!!! My favorite customer is the math professor at the local university... He measures and calculates it for me...
:big_smile:
Now there's a fella who knows what a cord is...

A 12 inch face cord would be a 1/4 cord and a 16 inch face cord would be a 1/3 cord unless I have tripped over the cord and struck my noggin.

Are you aware that if you stack a pile of wood 16 feet long and 4 feet high x 12 inches?How in the hell is that a 1/4 cord ?If a log is 24 inches and you cut it in half it is 12 inches that is a half not a 1/4.

I think they're wondering how you came up with 16' as a face length... Is that something traditional where you're at? I've never heard of that one... I find this stuff interesting...:msp_wink:
A face cord is a cord that looks like a cord from the front 16 foot long 4 foot high .It can be cut to many lengths 8,12 ,16 ,18 or 20 for example .In order not to rip anyone off if you tell them it is a Face cord of 16 inch logs they will know what they are getting .you cant just say face cord because it can be any size under 24 inch .Please tell me you understand this?Now if you cut all the wood 12 inches long it would be a half cord do you agree?

I hear you Hedge, I try to educate customers on what a cord is, so they understand what they should be paying for, however, many of my customers can't afford to buy a full cord at at a time. Your professor must be related to the professor from MSSU that buys hay from me, he gets it down to the pound when paying,lol, and he's always about four-six month in paying his bill, or I should say "was", because this year it's cash up front or no hay gets loaded. He is a professor in the business department, in the past he has proven he doesn't understand the definition of "payment is due within ten days". I wish I had more customer's that could afford to buy a full cord at a time.

A face cord is a cord that looks like a cord from the front 16 foot long 4 foot high .It can be cut to many lengths 8,12 ,16 ,18 or 20 for example .In order not to rip anyone off if you tell them it is a Face cord of 16 inch logs they will know what they are getting .you cant just say face cord because it can be any size under 24 inch .Please tell me you understand this?Now if you cut all the wood 12 inches long it would be a half cord do you agree?

Oh... I understand it... I'm just curious as to the "Why" part... Most terms have a base in local custom or something unique to a certain local region... Where I came from, the term "face cord" was used primarily in terms of cookstove wood. They measured 12" long out of necessity, due to the fact 16" would not fit in some of the old cookstoves. They based a cord on 4 stacks of 4' high by 8' long with 12" pieces. So what you were getting was the "face" of the cord. Which was 1/4 of a true cord. Make sense?

Latest posts

Back