Stove cord equals 2/3rds of a full cord???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy553

Oakaholic
Reaction score
Last weekend an old guy called and wanted me to bring him a stove cord of firewood. So, I brought him 1/3 of a cord, thinking stove cord, face cord, same thing. When I got there he told me a stove cord is 2/3rds of a full cord. We argued about it, me saying no, same as a face cord, him saying no, 2/3rds of a cord. Eventually we agreed on a price for the amount he wanted and I went and got the rest.
I told him about this website and how no one on here ever mentions anything about a stove cord being anything but another name for a face cord and told him I would put it out on here to see what you guys thought of it. I think back in the day, that may have been possible, but not today.

Any comments would be interesting!
Thanks!
Ted

Perfect example of what is wrong with using non-standardized, un-definable, obscure terms like "face cord", "stove cord", "rick cord", or "binky-winky cord". What would you bring me if i just ordered a "pile" or a "stack"? 'Cause ordering a "face cord" or a "stove cord" is just as specific as ordering a "pile". If the guy would have just ordered 2/3 cord in the first place everybody and their mother, and the mother's horse would have known exactly what he wanted. To my thinking it should be a "lesson learned" for you... the next time anybody orders using a term other than a full cord or a fraction of a cord I would ask, "OK, just exactly how much wood do you want? A 1/4 cord, a 1/3 cord, a 1/2 cord, 3/4 cord or a full cord?" Problem solved forever!

But we've beat this particular horse into the ground more than once.

Oh great! Let the good times roll. Please everyone don't get to angry about another wood measurement term. We already know there is no such thing as stove cord. Only full cord.

My ad in the local paper does indeed say 1/3 cord, 1/2 cord or full cords! I totally agree with ya Whitespider on terminology!
And I know this horse has been beaten til it don't hunt no more, just had not ever heard of it being 2/3 of a full cord so I thought I would see if any one else had.
Ted

Last edited:
Last weekend an old guy called and wanted me to bring him a stove cord of firewood. So, I brought him 1/3 of a cord, thinking stove cord, face cord, same thing. When I got there he told me a stove cord is 2/3rds of a full cord. We argued about it, me saying no, same as a face cord, him saying no, 2/3rds of a cord. Eventually we agreed on a price for the amount he wanted and I went and got the rest.
I told him about this website and how no one on here ever mentions anything about a stove cord being anything but another name for a face cord and told him I would put it out on here to see what you guys thought of it. I think back in the day, that may have been possible, but not today.

Any comments would be interesting!
Thanks!
Ted

Why didnt you just bring him a face cord of 16 inch like he asked for?That is 2/3 of a cord and cut to stove size.

I always thought a stove cord was this big by about this big. Never heard of it ever being any different unless maybe he was left handed.

This is the only stove cord I know of...

0Ljq9ZtNOPikLdS_7A-I9ypNYIfQHXM9_5eavrBBH-Q06fBPvxcKY28aGqC6ppqTPeu1_wDov7v5dwM_99JrLne2w3OjDNJhcn94fAYXD0MeRlehA9AsYi7D9DFyTw3AqNBZJszc-VA

In terms of measurement, typically about 4' long.

The following is from Measurement Canada:

Terms that are not recognized (illegal) for the sale of firewood in Canada include:

* apartment cord
* furnace cord
* rack of wood
* short cord
* bush cord
* pile of wood
* tossed cord
* single cord
* face cord
* processed cord
* truckload of wood
* stove cord

Anyone ever heard of an "apartment cord"?

I suspect that a "stove" cord was a "face" cord that was cut to 12" lengths.

Terms that are not recognized (illegal) for the sale of firewood in Canada include:

* apartment cord
* furnace cord
* rack of wood
* short cord
* bush cord
* pile of wood
* tossed cord
* single cord
* face cord
* processed cord
* truckload of wood
* stove cord

That would be a half cord the old man said 2/3 cord so I bet it would be face cord of 16 inches which equals 2/3 cord.

* apartment cord
* furnace cord
* rack of wood
* short cord
* bush cord
* pile of wood
* tossed cord
* single cord
* face cord
* processed cord
* truckload of wood
* stove cord

:agree2:

You forgot a fireplace cord. I been asked for one of these before.

That would be a half cord the old man said 2/3 cord so I bet it would be face cord of 16 inches which equals 2/3 cord.

A 12 inch face cord would be a 1/4 cord and a 16 inch face cord would be a 1/3 cord unless I have tripped over the cord and struck my noggin.

I suspect you're on the right track with the length Guido, but not the face part.

3 4' x 8' ranks of 12" wood, would be 3/4 of a cord which is fairly close to the 2/3rd cord the old timer was quoting.

I don't get my panties into too much of a knot over face cord, etc ... as long as both parties agree that the seller's definition of a PurpleZoggerine equals the buyer's definition of a PurpleZoggerine, what the local custom of calling the wood volume is doesn't really matter much. If you're unsure, ask for the dimensions and figure it out. When folks take advantage of newcomers who don't know local customs, that's a different issue.

It is VERY helpful when you come on to national forums like this to speak in terms of a cord or fraction thereof.

Though this definition of a stove cord is a classic:
0Ljq9ZtNOPikLdS_7A-I9ypNYIfQHXM9_5eavrBBH-Q06fBPvxcKY28aGqC6ppqTPeu1_wDov7v5dwM_99JrLne2w3OjDNJhcn94fAYXD0MeRlehA9AsYi7D9DFyTw3AqNBZJszc-VA

Defining measure based on "local customs" is a blatantly deceptive practice.
And largely illegal in the USofA. Unacceptable. Not intended to be factual.

Defining measure based on "local customs" is a blatantly deceptive practice.
And largely illegal in the USofA. Unacceptable. Not intended to be factual.

If you can't compete on price and/or quality , ACCUSE THE OTHER GUY!
"I tell you, on the day of judgment people will give account for every careless word they speak,"

Matthew 12:36

Back