Stove pipe help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STLfirewood

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm going to be installing a new gas furnace. The old one was a 80% furnace so it has a 6" pipe running for exhaust. My new furnace is going to be at least a 90% furnance. I'm going to be able to run a pvc pipe out of the side of the house for exhaust. Is there anyway I can use the old pipe for a wood stove ion the basement. Can I adda liner or anything to make it work. I can't access the pipe because it's behind walls. I just want to make sure everything is safe.

Thanks Scott

Without knowing what kind of pipe, I would guess probably not a good idea.
Burning wood requires pipe that is designed for it. It is not a scheme to take
advantage of anyone but rather for safety reasons. There are also proper clearances
around stove and chimney pipe that are extremely important. Do a AS or google search
for stove and chimney pipe and you will be surprised how much you will learn.
Preparing for wood heat can be a significant investment but if you can cut your own wood
and do some of the installation yourself it can be very rewarding. Before you go any further
with the wood heat idea, reading about it is the best thing you can do.

Don't do it. Galvanized pipe can emit toxic fumes at high temps., and is probably too small, I would guess the furnace had 4" pipe on it.

Without knowing what kind of pipe, I would guess probably not a good idea.
Burning wood requires pipe that is designed for it. It is not a scheme to take
advantage of anyone but rather for safety reasons. There are also proper clearances
around stove and chimney pipe that are extremely important. Do a AS or google search
for stove and chimney pipe and you will be surprised how much you will learn.
Preparing for wood heat can be a significant investment but if you can cut your own wood
and do some of the installation yourself it can be very rewarding. Before you go any further
with the wood heat idea, reading about it is the best thing you can do.

Great reply!

Mike also made a great comment. Galvanized pipe can cause zink oxide poisoning. Galvanized flue pipe which if super heated by a wood stove or furnace will emit a gas that causes a severe reaction in the form of nausea and pains running down your face to name a few reactions. The heating code does not allow for it either.

Class A pipe or what's known as all fuel or ht (high temp) is what is required. Clearances change...single wall 2100 degree (ht) is 18"...double wall non-insulated is 6" and double wall insulated is 2".
You should also have a flue that is the same diameter of the collar on the appliance or you can go up a size or 1". Code actually allows for like 30% increase,but most manufactures want that pipe to be about the same size as the collar. Code also says to follow the manufactures requirements.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back