Stove pipe question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

A.E. Metal Werx

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
hey guys... prob a really simple question but... i am installing my twinwall stainless insolated pipe through my roof.. well i am out of my roof at the moment and if i do as the book says i will have 9 feet sticking out of the roof the meet the 2' above the highest point 10' away. but everyone i have talked to and has seen my set up "house and pitch of roof and such" has said that 6' will be plenty. my house is a good 25' to the lowest part of the roof and then a good 35' to the peek. do i really need the full 9 feet? or will 6 be plenty as people say. also what is the main reason for the 2' above the highest point? is it just for draft or is there a fire issue or something im missing. thanks for the help.

In the shop (flat roof) mine is only 1 foot above the roof in the house I did the same.

the winter wind comes from the north and the shop stove pipe in on the south there I get no back draft.

On the house stove pipe is on the west side and in the same wind I get a back draft, but only when the wind is 45 to 50 mph more or less I get no back draft.

I was told I could fix this with a directional chimney cap rotates with the wind. but it is better to go the full height. I just dont like the way it looks.:monkey:

read this

hey guys... prob a really simple question but... i am installing my twinwall stainless insolated pipe through my roof.. well i am out of my roof at the moment and if i do as the book says i will have 9 feet sticking out of the roof the meet the 2' above the highest point 10' away. but everyone i have talked to and has seen my set up "house and pitch of roof and such" has said that 6' will be plenty. my house is a good 25' to the lowest part of the roof and then a good 35' to the peek. do i really need the full 9 feet? or will 6 be plenty as people say. also what is the main reason for the 2' above the highest point? is it just for draft or is there a fire issue or something im missing. thanks for the help.
racer428...make sure to follow the codes for your area...or insurance won't cover it...check this web site out...http://www.woodstove.com/pages/prefab_chimney.html :) :popcorn: halfway down in this article you will see an illistration of the measurements...good luck, Dan

Last edited:
as dwinch has referenced in the article the chimney must be 2' higher than the roof within 10' no and ifs or buts no matter what your people think they know, which they obviously aren't qualified to comment on, this is for a fire issue

all i can say is thanks for the help and that i was RIGHT!! i was preaching "doing it by the book" and they keep saying.. ahh its fine, you dont need all that pipe!. i'll show them. once again.. thanks!

This is the way Vermont casting wanted me to install my stove pipe

Better safe then sorry

attachment.php

Latest posts

Back