Straight gassed crank usable

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leerod83

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So here's my question. Is it ok to reuse a crank that was in a straight gassed saw? There is no discoloration on either end and there isn't any play up and down. I can however move the little end of the rod diagonally and get movement.

I thought so. I sprayed carb cleaner through the bearing and washed it out with mix gas then poured a little Stihl ultra in it. I just wanted to be sure and not have to tear a saw down again to replace it. .

Straight gassing toasts p and c pretty quickly, sparing any damage to crank.

I've only had a few though so take it only as my .02.
One OEM top end, one am and a Bailey's short block on MS 390. All still running as far as I know. Do top end and then pressure and vac test to be sure. I

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I worked on a straight gassed MS310 that had a trashed rod bearing. Felt good till I washed all the aluminum out of it...then the slop showed up. But that saw was in such bad shape that the piston was almost able to rotate around its pin in the cylinder. That customer got a new aftermarket engine (for budgetary reasons). (I'd bet he'll never loan out his saw again!!!)

Back