Straightening cherry tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Area Man

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a friend (in zone 7) who has a cherry tree that was planted several years ago ... in an interesting manner. The tree leans significantly. A photo is attached. (I rotated the photo to make the vertical plane accurate.)

Please advise on what can be done with this tree. Should we simply stake it and bend it as needed?

View attachment 249032

Should we simply stake it and bend it as needed?

I've done just that with small fruit and ornamental trees.The idea is to do it''slowly''over a period of time.Not to much stretch to root systems! If done in small increments, should be fine.
Unless you'd rather go complicated?We can get you there another way....But..Keep it simple.....

Last edited:
Looks like a plum, seen this way to often. All of them where planted too deep. Buttress root support system has rotted out. Best to remove tree & start over. If you must save, reduce tree by half & maintain small profile. Install guide wires for the long term.

Like I said..We can get you there more complicated.....:laugh:That appears to be a healthy tree.If there were root rot problems,there would be visual clues.And if there is,I can't see them from this pic.And if it happens that there is excessive soil over the root crown which I doubt(pic is too small to see)simply remove the excessive soil..Being careful not to disturb the roots that have migrated upwards.Like I tell my clients,simple is better!

cheers

Last edited:
Please don't confuse pathogenic root rot fungi with non-pathogenic wood decay fungi. That would be misleading to the OP.

Got it backwards.....Your quote is misleading.You're evading the issue...straightening the tree is what is important..I'm not into verbal sparring.Not interested in a dog fight...:laugh:
The HO?more than likely is not interested listening to east/west coast hoohaa..Straightening the tree....Straightening the tree...Repeat after me.......:laugh:

cheers!chuck

Last edited:
yes it be root issues; please post a pic of the base of the trunk with the top roots.

re the lean it's a little late to move it; the crown has self-corrected.

Don't mind me, I've only personally dealt many of these listing plum trees. They tend to be over & improperly planted around here. The tree's health is being supported by advantageous roots. The trees supporting root system (buttress roots) have failed due to planting too deep. Just grab hold of it and give it a good wiggle than let me know how anchored it is.

I have a great idea, lets stand it back up & let it grow three times it's size. I'm 100% sure it'll never blow over. :bang:

Some thing caused it to lean in the first place, be it wind and wet soil, or root problems. I don't have much experience with cherry trees as they don't do well in this area.(looks like a plum to me too). I doubt that tree will grow 2 or 3 times bigger then it is. Even if it does it wouldn't be much of an hazard if in some storm it was to blow over.
Going to all the trouble of setting up guy lines or digging(other then to expose root flair if needed)and replanting at this stage seem like wasted effort and could cost more then replacing the tree.
The tree may of corrected any root problem cause by instability of its roots in the soil and go on to flourish, even with a slight lean. If it is a root decay issue,(have an arborist check it out)it should be identified so you'll know if its safe to plant a new tree in the same spot or not.
At this point it maybe easier to plant a new tree if the lean is disturbing . Just be aware if the problem is pathogenic, a different kind of tree or a different area then the one now may be required or the new tree could get infected.

Latest posts

Back