Strange Wood Scrounge Experience

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kd460

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So a huge old oak came down by the side of the road on my way home from work. It blocked the road initially, and the fire dept. cut it up and moved it enough to clear the road. It is rural, farm land in between the town I work in and the town I live in. The tree crew was out last week trimming and grinding the smaller stuff, and I saw another gut cutting some up.

So today I had a few hours of time and decided to go get a pick up load full. This is right on the edge of a two lane 50 mph road, about 5 feet from the edge of the road in the area that the county maintains.

So I am cutting and loading what I can, and am about full. Then a car pulls up behind me, a woman driving with a small white rat dog in the passenger seat. She is on a cell phone and is writing down what appears to be my license plate. She gets out of the car and say "can I help you?" I make some comment like "no, just getting some firewood" and she replies "this is private property, this is our wood, I live right down the road", etc.

So I'm thinking great, she was watching me bust my butt cutting this stuff up and loading it, and when I'm almost done she is gonna call the cops and make me dump it-probably at her house. So I hurry up and load up my saw to get the heck out of there. She is then back on the cell phone in the car, and I get into my truck. I'm ready to drive off and think, "if she is on the phone with the cops, and I drive away, this is gonna look bad", but I want to get out of here. If I give her my phone number then leave the cops can't really say I "just left" and if I'm gone, they probably won't do much about it anyways.

So I write my cell phone number on a piece of paper, walk back to her car, give her my number and say "I'm sorry, I thought it was OK to gather this wood, I saw someone else here the other day cutting wood and I don't want any problems. I really am a little ticked off because I figure you watched me cut and load this and now your gonna make me dump this at your house".

She is still on the phone talking to someone and I start to walk away as a car is coming down the road. She says "don't go away". I'm thinking great, she wants me to wait for the cops. I tell her I'm going to the other side of car, cause a I don't want to be in the road. I go to the passenger side and she rolls the window down. She is still on the phone and rat dog jumps up to be petted. So I make nice with rat dog while she is on the phone. She hangs up the phone and says "we are gonna use this wood for a wood burner and we are gonna make some boards out of this". I told her I was gonna use this for firewood also, and again said I was "sorry for the problem, and thought this was fair game".

She then starts to tell me her and her family own all "this land you see around here" (farmland and some woods), and all four houses in sight. She goes on about her dad having a saw mill, and cutting the oak for one of the houses she is restoring, and then goes on to tell me about the land, points to the house she is restoring, points to the farm she grew up on, etc.

I decided now would be a good time to introduce myself, apologized again for the misunderstanding and me being a little stand off-ish at first. I told her I was tired, worked all day yesterday gathering some elm wood and I thought this was fair game as well, and I felt you just waited for me to load it all up and now your gonna make me dump it"

She then says "elm?" Do you want to see one of the oldest American elms in Michigan? And then points to a huge old tree in the middle of a plowed field about 1/3 of a mile away. She goes on about how the university has taken scrapings of the tree and are studying it to see why it has survived without disease for so long etc.

Now things seem to be turning around. She is smiling, I am loosening up (at first I was really pissed off). She seemed really proud of the land. She then tells me she was talking to her dad on the cell phone and I told her I thought it was the cops, she laughed and then offers to let me come and cut up some of the downed wood in the wooded areas of the farm.

I looked at her totally dumb founded. I thanked her, told her I was totally surprised at her reaction, thought I was gonna be dealing with the cops any minute now, etc. She laughed again, and told me a little bit more about the farm, the deer, the pheasants, the coyote, etc. She then said again that I am more than welcome to gather more downed wood from the wood lots, and that I could even come and go as I please, etc.

I thanked her again, offered to drop the oak I had off at her house and she said replied "no, go ahead and keep it-take as much as you want". At this point I said thank you, told her I had to leave and got the heck out of there.

The whole ride home I wondered what the heck just happened. At first I thought I was in trouble with the cops, waisted an hour of back breaking work in a snow bank on the side of a road with nothing to show for it, and ended up with a place that is right on my way home from work that I can stop and gather wood at any time. I guess it pays to keep your cool. Still kind of a strange experience. Still kind of wondering what happened. Must be my natural charm, might of been the making nice with rat dog, who knows. :chainsaw: KD

Not sure what to even say to that...

It's amazing how people can surprise you!

Yes, I called my wife on the way home and told her the story. The first thing my wife asked was "how old was this woman?" I told her "about my age". My wife then let out a suspicious sounding "uh huh".

I read that response and didn't dare mention that the woman was a nice looking blonde. I'm not that stupid.

I was wondering about the meds thing also. Some of the things she said (that I did not mention in the original post) just kind of made me a little spooked. I'm gonna proceed with caution. KD

Last edited:
There are nice people

out there and not everyone wants to stab you in the back. I would proceed by getting to know these folks better and take her up on the wood offer. Proceed with some caution of course but maybe you just stumbled upon a free wood goldmine :clap:

On meds? Maybe she likes a sweaty wood chip/mix smelling man???

Brian

Last edited:
Kyle, I agree.

I was thinking of stopping by on my way home from work one day this week. Maybe drop off a small gift or something, thanking her again, heck I don't know.

It seems like a situation where, if it was a guy, I would drop off a case of beer or something like that, say thanks and make small talk. Not really sure what to do seeing that shes a woman. Maybe offer to leave some of the wood that I cut up for her/her family as well. KD

With ya

Kd, A little difficulty working with the woman but take your wife along with you. She can do all the talking while you cut. Maybe the 2 will become friends allowing you to cut wood more often :greenchainsaw:

This has happened with my wife and I. We got to know a couple because I coached their daughter in soccer. We have become good friends with them and the wives talk daily. A whole new world has opened up because of their kindness and friendship.

Brian

Fascinating story.

First, the oak you cut up sounds like it was in the right of way and you have no legal worries about taking it. Many road crews will purposefully let limbs and trees in the right of way for woodticks to scrounge. Just be careful about obstructing traffic and look out for your own safety. My preference, though, is to touch base with the adjoining land owner whenever possible just to avoid any conflict.

People can get weird about land and property, so I try to tread cautiously and pour on the syrup whenever I'm walking close to that line. I've had the same thing happen, though. People are initially wary of you, but warm up once you have a chance to show you're not any harm. I try to mention a local farmer or business person that could possibly be a mutual acquaintance - that works almost all the time.

I've also run into gold mines by working through friends/intermediaries. Older folks especially will often have someone who just kind of looks out for them. If you can have that person approach the property owner with you, and vouch for you, then they actually come to like having you show up periodically to take some wood and "check up on the place." I'll often stop in and talk for a few minutes, have the wife bake something as a gift, and be sure to offer a load of split and dried wood if they burn it. I've got a few older ladies who especially like walking the property with me to "select" which trees they want down. They're normally hesitant to go out themselves in case they should fall.

I would cultivate this friendship, but make sure you don't go on the property by yourself with this woman present until after you get to know her a bit. I think you know what I mean... I would also ask around about her and the family, just in case they have a rep for being a little...umm....too interesting.

Kd, A little difficulty working with the woman but take your wife along with you. She can do all the talking while you cut. Maybe the 2 will become friends allowing you to cut wood more often :greenchainsaw:

This has happened with my wife and I. We got to know a couple because I coached their daughter in soccer. We have become good friends with them and the wives talk daily. A whole new world has opened up because of their kindness and friendship.

Brian

go back and drop off a bottle of Merlot wine.

you'd be amazed at what a bottle of wine as a gesture can do. it worked for me. the county was taking down a few maple trees down the street before xmas. so, i stopped and asked about the wood. they said "no problem, take all i wanted". they even dropped off two huge logs in my yard! the people that owned the house also told me to take all i wanted. i offered to clear out some smaller brush along the road for them as a way to say thanks. the owner then told me he has several large trees in the woods he wants down and when the ground gets dry he'll show me which ones they are.

i went back and gave the two county guys each a bottle of wine and gave the woman a bottle as well. i'm still cutting wood off their lot and we haven't gone in back yet. so far, i got about 2.5 full cords of maple and there is still more for the county guys to drop when they return. they said they didn't have a place to haul it and i was doing them a favor anyways.

so.....go back with a bottle of Merlot.....it shows you have some class.

Last edited:
Kyle, I agree.

I was thinking of stopping by on my way home from work one day this week. Maybe drop off a small gift or something, thanking her again, heck I don't know.

It seems like a situation where, if it was a guy, I would drop off a case of beer or something like that, say thanks and make small talk. Not really sure what to do seeing that shes a woman. Maybe offer to leave some of the wood that I cut up for her/her family as well. KD

You just gave yourself the answer .... drop off the case of beer to her father. If you take the wife with you, she can see that it's all good and that you are not just going there to smooze up the daughter.

Chances are that the father has final say anyway. Who knows, maybe he has some old equipment that he needs removed as well.

Maybe you are on the brink of a goldmine like Kyle1! said?

Let us know what happens!

Right of way, around here the landowner has first rights, but many times, especially oak, there's folks drooling as the county crew drops the trees, I'm no exception, but I call the town tree super for a heads up, it helps a bunch, as well as talking to the landowner.

You seem to have fallen into it that's for sure, and the fact that the rat dog liked you probably said plenty. If they want/need some stuff cut into lumber, then you may have a great opportunity to get a bigger saw, csm, and do some expense work for them, and build a reputation too, could lead to more open doors. You have skills/tools they can use, it's barter time.

When I saw the title I was thinking in a more red light manner.....don't ask. :dizzy:

Well, taking my wife along is a great idea. The wine is a good idea, but, I don't want to send any wrong signals. Especially if I am stopping on my way home from work.

At this point, I'm thinking something like a gift card to the local gas station or car wash is practical and non suggestive. I really do want to stop by to just reaffirm that I'm not a bad guy and am really interested in the offer. Maybe meet her father. I was a little pre-occupied with wanting to get the heck out of there, but also trying to be polite and thankful, so who knows how that was read.

Did I mention prime hunting land also? Hmmm. I really need to make a positive impression with these folks. I did mention that I could help out with the larger pieces of wood if they/she was interested.

I was carefull to not start this thread with one of those farmers daughter's stories that begin with "this sort of thing does not happen to me but" or "I know your never gonna believe this but," :censored: ::popcorn:

Thanks guys, you made me laugh. Also thanks about the rite of way info. I really thought it was fair game. Seen scroungers many of times doing what I did. KD

I believe it is the same here also, the landowner still owns his land up to the road, the town just maintains a right of way as far as the road and maintenance. I would suggest being more up front to begin with and ask permission from the nearest house, at least then you have tried.

Around here it is like a pack of wolves if they find a tree down by the road. But I do know I would be a tad upset with someone taking wood off my land even if it is by the road, it doesn't mean I have it there for free.

A little story about stealing firewood:

I had my house built in 1990 and I instructed the builder to leave all the wood as it was mine to use. He said ok.

well, over the course of a week I noticed about 10 cord disappear. needless to say I was a bit irate and the builder assured me it was not him. I made trips by when no one was expecting me hoping to catch who it was. I sat in the dark up there with my rifle waiting in the early morning, later at dusk and night and had no luck, I could not catch the theiving A**holes.

the next week while working it all of a sudden hit me that the theives must be going there while the crews were gone to lunch. soooo.

I grab my rifle and head up there at lunchtime, backing up my 600 foot drive and lo and behold, there is this arse loading his truck with his kid. I jump out of my truck with the rifle and I thought this clown was going to soil his drawers. He couldn't stammer fast enough when I asked him who the hell he was and what the hell he thought he was doing on privater property stealing sh*t and did he think this was the proper thing to teach his son??

Yeah, he unloaded, left and never came back, I think he learned something that day.:chainsaw:

I might have lost access to a logging site because of that.

Currently I haul my firewood from a logging site about 30 miles away. The dry stuff is no good to the loggers and the Forestry guys want those dry logs out of there to reduce the fire hazards.

I pay the logger for piling the wood near the road (it's not much, but he is happy as it easily covers his fuel costs) and I pull in and throw it on my truck and trailer.

He also has piles of his money wood laying around as he builds up his volume until it is worth hiring the logging trucks to haul the wood out.

The last time I was out there I noticed that someone had been cutting his money wood and taking it away.

I saw the logger on the way out and let him know what I had seen. One of his operators was with him and informed us that he had seen someone cutting that wood, but thought that he had arranged with the logger to do so. We know the guy that did it and he has no excuses as he was specifically told not to touch the money wood.

My suggestion was to block off the road when he wasn't there so that no one could get in. That means that I cannot get any firewood either, but the way I see it is that operation is his livelihood, while my firewood hauling is something that I can do elsewhere.

I have not been out since, but he told me that even if he does block off the road he would bring some to the landing for me. I guess it may work out for me, but it ticks me off that people will go in and steal what others have worked for.

I

I grab my rifle and head up there at lunchtime, backing up my 600 foot drive and lo and behold, there is this arse loading his truck with his kid. I jump out of my truck with the rifle and I thought this clown was going to soil his drawers. He couldn't stammer fast enough when I asked him who the hell he was and what the hell he thought he was doing on privater property stealing sh*t and did he think this was the proper thing to teach his son??

Yeah, he unloaded, left and never came back, I think he learned something that day.:chainsaw:

I know how you feel. I've had a lot of stuff stolen from me. You wished you could have been there when it happened. . . . to administer a little old fashioned justice.

BUT - what if things went wrong? There's a dozen bad scenarios. Suppose the guy pulls out a pistol and puts one between your eyes. Or, goes after you and you put one between his eyes. Now there's a boy growing up without a dad because of a cord of wood. I'm sure you wouldn't be bragging about this story . . . from prison. Or suppose you accidently shot the kid. That would be a good story for message boards, hey?

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I've had a lot of stuff stolen from me. You wished you could have been there when it happened. . . . to administer a little old fashioned justice.

BUT - what if things went wrong? There's a dozen bad scenarios. Suppose the guy pulls out a pistol and puts one between your eyes. Or, goes after you and you put one between his eyes. Now there's a boy growing up without a dad because of a cord of wood. I'm sure you wouldn't be bragging about this story . . . from prison. Or suppose you accidently shot the kid. That would be a good story for message boards, hey?

For crying out loud!!!!! He wasnt bragging, he was relating the story as it happened. And, in my humble opinion, most folks would bring along a weapon if they knew that they may end up confronting a thief in progress of a crime. We all have the right to protect what is ours. It may not be worth shooting someone over, but doggone it, dont even start with the lectures about what could have happened. It didnt happen, the theif left without the loot, and he was protecting his property. End of story.
Besides,the kid would be better off without a dad if all he has is a dad that not only shows him that it was okay to steal, but brought him along in the coarse of the crime.

For crying out loud!!!!! He wasnt bragging, he was relating the story as it happened. And, in my humble opinion, most folks would bring along a weapon if they knew that they may end up confronting a thief in progress of a crime. We all have the right to protect what is ours. It may not be worth shooting someone over, but doggone it, dont even start with the lectures about what could have happened. It didnt happen, the theif left without the loot, and he was protecting his property. End of story.
Besides,the kid would be better off without a dad if all he has is a dad that not only shows him that it was okay to steal, but brought him along in the coarse of the crime.

Thanks, you are absolutely right, I was in no way bragging. I brought the rifle because of exactly that, I had no idea who I might be up against.

It did in fact all work out as the effect of just having it with me was enough. And you are so right about what this lowlife was teaching his kid. I would be willing to bet you that 17 years later that kid is probably around 27 and I would bet a $100 bill he has some sort of record already because of what his father had him doing. THAT is not a loving parent my friends, that is a SCUMBAG.

Last edited:
Back