Strato Only From Now On

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jeeeeez guys. Seize the day. Stress is the number one cause of most health problems. So stressing over clean air and a clean environment for clean breathing kinda seems a little counter-productive no? Everyone relax.

Now where did I leave my Marlboros?

Yes, I use PPE. Im sorry if i offended any of you guys or gals or guys that think they are gals. I have no problem with strato saws either. I just dont understand how sensitive some of you are. Sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings. Do any of you guys get your panties in a wad when the paint wears off of your bars? That must have something to do with cheap bar oil useage. Run stihl oil at $16 gal and it wont scratch up as much.:msp_w00t:

Not offended bro, just amused. I get so worked up when my bars get scratched up, I have a work bar and a show bar for each size. I only put the work bar on when I am in the woods and out of sight of all the tough guys I am trying to impress. When I am done cutting, I put my show bar back on and proudly display it as I walk out of the woods. I usually hang a bar on her that is at least a few inches longer than I need to make myself feel more "competent". When I get back to my Subaru Brat (with camo decals I picked up at autozone), I put the tailgate down and crack open a cold Budweiser(actually it is a corona with lime that I have resealed in a bud bottle). Then I look around and try to find stuff I can call guys sissies for doing. When I see somebody doing something that isn't TOUGH I really let'em have it! Then I laugh loud and try real hard to push out a macho fart or burb, to impress the fellas, then I drive home and hide my work bars.

Yes, I use PPE. Im sorry if i offended any of you guys or gals or guys that think they are gals. I have no problem with strato saws either. I just dont understand how sensitive some of you are. Sorry if i hurt anyone's feelings. Do any of you guys get your panties in a wad when the paint wears off of your bars? That must have something to do with cheap bar oil useage. Run stihl oil at $16 gal and it wont scratch up as much.:msp_w00t:

seriously? you wear PPE? do you wear an innertube also in case you slip and fall so you don't hurt your bum-bum?

so if you wear PPE then you must be concerned with sissy things like protecting your body from harm. WOMAN!!!!

but you give the OP crap for wanting to protect his body!!

hypocrit much?

Seems you're quite confused with topic here. Quite. It's got NOTHING to do with bar oil usage.

Rather, it's MIX fuel and oil short-circuiting from transfer to exhaust and spreading unburnt HCs in the immediate area. (You've got plenty to search on there, to get eddicated.) Stratified scavenging largely eliminates that, putting fuel and oil to work and greatly reducing consumption of both. Check YouTube.

If you insist on alluding to your "opponents" as being effeminate, someone may just call you out on that. (That's getting you nowhere, big fella.)

Seems you're quite confused with topic here. Quite. It's got NOTHING to do with bar oil usage.

Rather, it's MIX fuel and oil short-circuiting from transfer to exhaust and spreading unburnt HCs in the immediate area. (You've got plenty to search on there, to get eddicated.) Stratified scavenging largely eliminates that, putting fuel and oil to work and greatly reducing consumption of both. Check YouTube.

If you insist on alluding to your "opponents" as being effeminate, someone may just call you out on that. (That's getting you nowhere, big fella.)

It seem there are at least a couple types of folks one here--those that are really looking to share info and those who contribute little, but just sit to the side & criticize reasonable questions or informed posts about things they have no clue about. While it would be nice to have a forum without that, that's what the ignore list's for.

After modding both 'old style' two-strokes and stratos, I look at the old style as an inferior design. It isn't just emissions and fuel economy, the stratos can put out more power.

I no longer call the old style two-strokes as 'conventional' two-strokes, as they are no longer the accepted design, they are past their time. They are 'old style' and will slowly fade into obsolesence.

Its funny that three years ago that this site had a negative attitude about stratos - 'they can't be modded' was the big one. Well, that one has been put to rest, Crikey, if you're going to mod a saw, make it a strato - the design has more potential. It's kinda like the debate between wedge head versus hemi head engines, which one has the most potential to start with.

I run a modded 660, and Ive never really noticed smelling any fumes. If i did it wasnt enough to even remember. I guess it depends a lot on what type saw a man runs? BTW, i use Bel-Ray H1R

i have ran husqvarna 61 and now my 365sp, i have cut hundreds of tonnes of firewood and cut and fell trees almost everyday now for a living,now the type of fella i am,nauturally first time i used a chainsaw i needed to have top gear,trousers,gloves,husqvarna helmet with decent ear protection, i also use A MASK.... i don't see nothing wrong with a decent mask,it makes no differnce after a few hours you even forget you have it on.

the one i use now is an industrial one,with two filters at both sides,all it will do is increase my lung capacity from breathing through it whilst working with it. and it's rubber and big,you wouldn't even smell the saw if it was running on PURE OIL only :laugh:

seriously,the mask is the way to go,i don't care what fuel you are using or what engine type,a two stroke is a two stroke stratto or not and they all produce harmfull fumes,only the stratto less.

don't delude yourselves,i have a stratto also my 440torq,and it still produces fumes!!! at the end of the day
you are going to be still using oil to lube the engine and possibly petrol with it they all release carbon monoxide when they cycle

Last edited:
i also use A MASK.... i don't see nothing wrong with a decent mask,it makes no differnce after a few hours you even forget you have it on.

Is that you Logger? :hmm3grin2orange:
221083d1328102391-eminem-hockeymask-jpg

View attachment 221083

Right now, I use one of these an inexpensive 3M dual-filter: Professional Multi-Purpose Respirator-62023HA1-A at The Home Depot

The cartridges (the pink ones) are advertised as "NIOSH approved and offer at least 99.7% efficiency against solid and liquid aerosols, including oil". Seems like just the ticket.

There are some much more expensive ones out there, like the Sundstroms, but I haven't tried one of those. At this point the only reason I'd get a more expensive one is if it lasted longer or was alot more comfortable. Or until someone comes out with one with a hockey-mask pattern:)

Last edited:
The mask is another option. Lets not forget about all those fine particles we are so worried about getting past the air filters of our saws. I know my shirt is covered with them when I'm done sawing. May be I'll try one but my problem is fogging up my glasses. Its one thing when that happens when I'm running a drill or a sawsall at work. A chainsaw bites harder.

I suppose a mask would be logical, but I dunno if I could get used to that - especially when it's warm enough to get sweaty! The disposable ones get beat up, and I have to take the gloves off to adjust everything. I can just see trying to work in my forestry helmet with the ear protectors and a full respirator.

Well, something to consider anyway. For now I'll just try to take basic keep my saws tuned properly - rich enough to run well but not stinky, use good oil, etc.

After modding both 'old style' two-strokes and stratos, I look at the old style as an inferior design. It isn't just emissions and fuel economy, the stratos can put out more power.

I no longer call the old style two-strokes as 'conventional' two-strokes, as they are no longer the accepted design, they are past their time. They are 'old style' and will slowly fade into obsolesence.

Its funny that three years ago that this site had a negative attitude about stratos - 'they can't be modded' was the big one. Well, that one has been put to rest, Crikey, if you're going to mod a saw, make it a strato - the design has more potential. It's kinda like the debate between wedge head versus hemi head engines, which one has the most potential to start with.

Hemi-head is no big help, really, except as a marketing tool for Dodge in some areas. Pent-roof, with 4-valves per cylinder, now you're talking. As seen on BDA or DFV engines (Cosworth, son) they put all the previous out to pasture. Current engines with such chambers still work great- docile running with high specific output, etc., etc. (You can pop the spark plug right in the middle of all the valves.)

My antique-design 2-smokers will be slowly worn out, and not replaced w/same. With 2 stratos now in-house, future engines will be stratos, direct-injection, or whatever works as well.

Using a dust-mask with chainsaws can be a big help when there's infectious stuff (fungi) in the wood, or the dust is allergenic (black walnut & others.) One fungus infection, for example, was horrible.

silly question, but what's worse...breathing the stuff or the stress that comes with worrying about it? As for me, my old saws will continue to be my work saws, and the smoke screw in the old cummins will stay adjusted to black death cloud. Not exceptionally efficient but it's what I enjoy. As long as I live in the good ol' USA and have the choice, I will consider myself blessed

BTW, what is PPE?
.404 full chisel rocks, and chain brakes are for wusses

Last edited:
silly question, but what's worse...breathing the stuff or the stress that comes with worrying about it? As for me, my old saws will continue to be my work saws, and the smoke screw in the old cummins will stay adjusted to black death cloud. Not exceptionally efficient but it's what I enjoy. As long as I live in the good ol' USA and have the choice, I will consider myself blessed

BTW, what is PPE?
Oh manly one, your assumption that this issue causes me any stress at all is faulty, but I suppose that's understandable. In my world thinking about things and learning how they work so as to make better choices is not a stressful activity. It's just what I do, it's why I joined AS, it's why my stuff works. I know lots of people who have trouble making good choices, and I've observed their lives are full of stress.

Do you have those kewl dual 6" chrome pipes up through the bed so everyone can see your manly back smoke better? My truck is a '94 F250 extended cab long bed with dual tanks, a 5.8L gasser and an 8800lbs GVWR. It's slow and inefficient and I don't like driving it, but it's a truck for working not posing. Since it's old and doesn't get driven much paying for it causes me no stress.

BTW, what is PPE?

Having the freedoms we have, including the freedom laugh at your own health, and the environment we all share is a valuable thing.
But having the wisdom to not abuse the freedoms others have died defending is priceless.

Let me put it another way. Choosing to exercise freedoms and rights makes them stronger. Choosing to abuse them as an individual makes them go away for everyone.
You do live in the good ol' USA and you do have that choice.

Last edited:
well, i knew that was going to stir the pot, but I stand by what i say. No 6" stacks, and she only blows smoke when I tell her to, 21 MPG and able to pull as much trailer as I need....paid off and I don't drive it unless I'm hauling something, so maybe you have made some false ASSumptions also bud. I agree with the takes on abusing freedoms, and I disagree with blatantly violating laws and "pissin off the neighbors" but I also know I enjoy myself and am not going to be ashamed for doing it.

well, i knew that was going to stir the pot, but I stand by what i say. No 6" stacks, and she only blows smoke when I tell her to, 21 MPG and able to pull as much trailer as I need....paid off and I don't drive it unless I'm hauling something, so maybe you have made some false ASSumptions also bud. I agree with the takes on abusing freedoms, and I disagree with blatantly violating laws and "pissin off the neighbors" but I also know I enjoy myself and am not going to be ashamed for doing it.
That's nice. Maybe you should start a thread about trucks - it may have escaped your notice but that's not what this one was about. I promise not to jump in and discuss chainsaws in it.

Back