Strato Only From Now On

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think there are significantly different combustion efficiencies between a saw like a 660 and my plastic Poulans? Serious question, not being a smart ass.

Do you think there are significantly different combustion efficiencies between a saw like a 660 and my plastic Poulans? Serious question, not being a smart ass.

Without weighing production efficiency against combustion efficiency between the two machines and their likely/intended production environments, the question is simply rhetorical with no logical answer based upon such an abstract pretense.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb anyway with a silly wild-assed opinion based simply on the displacement difference and say..., oh, I dunno...., uh....,"Yes"?

Poge

Last edited:
Without weighing production efficiency against combustion efficiency between the two machines and their likely/intended production environments, the question is simply rhetorical with no logical answer based upon such an abstract pretense.

But I'm gonna go out on a limb anyway with a silly wild-assed opinion based simply on the displacement difference and say..., oh, I dunno...., uh....,"Yes"?

Poge
Umm....what? The issue was how cleanly it burns, not how much you can do with it or whatever it is you mean by production efficiency. The statement is that a 660 wasn't producing fumes. I don't know much about a 660 other than it's larger displacement. What would make it burn more cleanly?

No such 'statement' was ever made.
Well, there was the quote by Quote MacLaren
"I run a modded 660, and Ive never really noticed smelling any fumes. If i did it wasnt enough to even remember. I guess it depends a lot on what type saw a man runs? BTW, i use Bel-Ray H1R"
which is not quite exactly the same thing, but then I didn't realize we were playing semantic games. That is how a 660 got into this thread to begin with.

So to recap, the question is if a 660 doesn't produce any noticeable fumes, why is that, and is there some fundamental difference between the combustion efficiency of a 660 and my plastic Poulans? You went:
"out on a limb anyway with a silly wild-assed opinion based simply on the displacement difference and say..., oh, I dunno...., uh....,"Yes"?"
but have not come up with any explanation. And displacement is mostly irrelevant as to whether it burns cleanly, at least in these ranges. I'll just assume you really never had any idea and were just emitting fumes.

Based on that information I was actually trying to figure out if there was a difference. It's probably past time to end this thread now.

Last edited:
you guys are still having a pissin match in here? Lol..wood heat warrior..you are one sensitive dude.you didnt like my sense of humor and now your pickin at people's sentences....chill out bro!

you guys are still having a pissin match in here? Lol..wood heat warrior..you are one sensitive dude.you didnt like my sense of humor and now your pickin at people's sentences....chill out bro!
What - I was asking some simple questions about combustion efficiencies! And you know you only ever posted in this thread in order to stir up crap for fun anyway, and still are, so don't be playin' the voice-of-reason now.

Look, one guy says his 660 doesn't make fumes he can smell - fine, I ask if there's a difference and what it might be. Another guy tells me there's a difference and that it's because it's a bigger engine, then claims it was never said. Whatever - the reality is unless it's a strato engine, the differences are likely to be things like mix oil, mix ratio and tuning.

This was a simple thread about new engine technologies and exhaust fumes which apparently bothered some folks by threatening their manhood or something. Then I guess I bugged some more by asking about the difference in engine technology between plastic Poulan and a 660. Gee, I'm so sorry. But like I said, it's passed its sell-by date anyway.

how dumb do you need to be

I think that the first time i used an oil based fuel i worked out that it pays to be upwind , dont know how dumb you need to be to sit in the exhaust . Most saws push the fumes one way and most times you can be either up wind or hold your breathe and turn your head to breathe not to mention being covered in wood chips . Your brain is your most effective personal safety equipment.

PS I DO HAVE THE LUXURY OF TIME TO PICK WHEN I CUT SO I MAY BE A LITTLE HARSH

Last edited:
I think that the first time i used an oil based fuel i worked out that it pays to be upwind , dont know how dumb you need to be to sit in the exhaust . Most saws push the fumes one way and most times you can be either up wind or hold your breathe and turn your head to breathe not to mention being covered in wood chips . Your brain is your most effective personal safety equipment.

that's a good idea and all but you can't always conjure up wind when you want, and you don't always have the luxury of moving to the other side of the log.

When I am felling and there is wind, the direction the smoke is going is the least of my concerns.

And this is why it's time to end this thread.

that's a good idea and all but you can't always conjure up wind when you want, and you don't always have the luxury of moving to the other side of the log.

Good point. That's why I generally pick the windless (or close to it) days for felling & days with wind to limb and buck--but I too have the luxury to schedule like that, a luxury I realize doesn't easily apply to large operations. Being a one man show, It takes me quite a while to clean up one days worth of felling to my liking!

Latest posts

Back