Striking rich!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimplyGreen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Do you guys in the tree service industry think we can be rich doing tree service?

I mean like 250k a year take home?

:blob5: :blob5:

I've done work for two companies that may have pulled that kind of profit from 2-3 crews but it was at the expense of the customer and more importantly the workers in the feild. :Eye:

It is my opinion that anything is possible so long as you are willing to accept the consequences, or pay the price.

It depends on whether you are talking about a small operation like most of us here, or a big time operation like, Bartlett, Davey, Nelson, Asphlund, Hendrickson, and a whole slew of others. I am sure the top guys of the afore mentioned companys make at least $250K a year. If they aren't, something is dreadfully wrong. If you are the owner of a company operating a 3 man crew, it is real easy to make $100K a year, (your salary, not gross of the company.) Don't lowball, try to get middle to high end clientele and give service that far exceeds the others. That will give you loyal customers with lots of referrals. Currently 100% of my business is repeat or referrals. I don't take someone who just calls me from the phone book.

Yes, I ONLY take repeat and referrals. If someone new was not referred to me by an existing customer, I tell them I cannot take any additional work at this time, which is true. January is already booked up and I have about 6 days in February booked also. I turn down about 5 jobs a week, and I don't advertise. Our book phones come out in August. Next year I plan to change my business number to a residential line so I will not even have the small print free listing that comes with a business number. As crazy as it seems, I get depressed when I come home and see that I have about 5 existing customers to call because they need something done. I am real happy on the 3 or 4 days during the month that no one calls. I really would like to run a 2nd crew, but the problem is my customers expect me to be there. Maybe I trained them too good.

I know a few places where the owners pay LOTS of money each year for the work, but they want the boss there when the work is going on. The boss doesn't have to be working the whole time, but the boss had better be there.

Simply, hate to break the news but it is not a get rich quick job. Anyone who thinks differently is dillusional. It is a make a good living doing something great industry.

Especially if you are a owner operator who is behind the saw or climbing most of the week.

The $$ kick in when you view it for what it is, the service industry. You are in the business of buying and selling man hours. Buy for cheaper than you sell. There are different formats. Some with fat margins, some with thin margins. Thin margins being on the commodity end and fat margins being on the value added end.

It is a great industry, but if you are chasing money alone, there are easier avenues. Medicine, real estate, law, ............

It is what you make of it.......;)

The most common mistake I see among small tree businesses is lack of business plan. Just an "everybody is my client" approach. No target clientelé or defined goals.

Last edited:
i wish i had never gotten into this business the amount of work and effort i put in does not give me the financial rewards that i would get if i was in another business, i'm sure had i been in another profession i would be a millionaire by now

Butch, There was a time when Iwas spending millions per day but that time has passed.
No, I am not kidding.

However, they were million peso notes-in a seriously devalued currency.

In fact, I'm so rich I've been toying with the idea of throwing an AS bash. I'll pay for everything, even ya'lls transportation and hotel rooms. Of course, I couldn't do that cuz then ya'll would be snuggling up to me, trying to get a 'lil of my bling bling, and lose all respect for me. So, for the time being, I'm gonna act like a normal guy.

Latest posts

Back