Stripped out plastic threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Honda_man

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Anyone have a good solution for a 020T with stripped out threads in plastic for rewind screws? The screw in it now has the large or deep threads for plastic threads and the plastic is stripped. I'm not interested in rigging but I'm looking for some viable solution that will 1) give me good threads for the foreseeable future and 2) help me avoid replacing the tank assembly.

Thanks in advance.
56fb5d9ad5afc134598d26a15415b97e.jpg

Not sure of the brand name, but I use a insert that was originally intended for cabinet work. It has deeper threads than normal and it really help it in plastic cases. Once it's in you have a brass or steel thread to use a standard machine screw.

Steven

Edit: EZ-lok is the brand.

Anyone have a good solution for a 020T with stripped out threads in plastic for rewind screws? The screw in it now has the large or deep threads for plastic threads and the plastic is stripped. I'm not interested in rigging but I'm looking for some viable solution that will 1) give me good threads for the foreseeable future and 2) help me avoid replacing the tank assembly.

Thanks in advance.
56fb5d9ad5afc134598d26a15415b97e.jpg
Ask the forum member called Lone Wolf, he builds and sells more of the ms200t's and it's predecessor the 020t, I bet he has a suggestion on the best fix. :cool:

I've had good success with helicoils in plastic Poulans and an Earthquake. I used inserts for 5mm X 0.8 threads.

echo has a brass insert kit to repair threads in plastic. will look up the part number and prices monday. IIRC it comes with like 4 inserts/screws and is for M5 bolts

add to that, stihl has them for the brake flag on the 391. dont have the part number on that one but its another that is worth looking into

Chris, did you put epoxy on the helicoil ?
Nope. I did find that you must make sure the screw goes well into the insert - if it only gets a few threads on the end it will easily pull out the end of the insert. There are apparently longer inserts that would get more threads, but I have not tried those.

Otherwise they have worked very well. I've done recoil bolts, carb mount bolts, ignition coil bolts, etc.

1491089109732313468880.jpg 14910892014941498197845.jpg
When ever I get stripped out brass inserts;
I knock good ones out of bad tanks right before they go in the trash, and save them to repair stripped ones.
Simply heating them up on a stud and reseating them by way melting the plastic. A quick shot of an air nozzle sets up the melted plastic to keep it from getting crooked.
A dry empty fuel tank first though, obviously.

I know you said you're not interested in "rigging", but I have slid a zip tie in the hole and then put the screw in.

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Back