Stripped recoil starter threads

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldhardwood

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Stihl ms362 has two stripped threads holding the recoil starter on. What do you all use to repair them?

I install helicoils or go up one size in metric. I had 6 mm threads strip out on a dirtbike manifold I went up to 7 mm bolts and repaired it.

When I was assembling 155 mm howitzers for the us army the goverment heli coils all the aluminum gear housings. We glued the heli coils in with a dab of lacquer paint before installing the heli coil.

When I worked in the machine tool business I would drill and plug the hole, file it flush then transfer the location of the hole from the mating parts and drill n tap a new hole the orginal size.

Thjere is def nothing wrong with Time Serts if there is enough meat left to hold them, a drop of Locktite when installing them and they won`t back out or leak. Installed maybe two dozen different ones by now, even stripped spark plug repairs without a problem to date.

I appreciate both methods, plus would be interested to see if there was one on the middle of cheap and expensive.

Helicoils work fine. EZ-LOK kits like this one run around $18 if you shop around. Come with stainless steel inserts. I have a few and have no problem recommending them.
https://www.ezlok.com/ezcoil-kit-SK40520

Or you can go with a Chinese kit like this which is a flat out bargain any way you wanna look at it. I bought one a few years ago and have successfully repaired tons of threads in both metal and plastic with zero failures. Also highly recommended for the economy factor if nothing else even if you only ever use half of the sizes. Only negative is the lack of a 4mm size and some may complain of the coils not being stainless. But for 90% of what they would be used for on a chainsaw they work just fine.

https://www.ebay.com/i/382750137698...vr9FY7wgGfGn6H90Iq-xw777GIdBJq_0aAoqjEALw_wcB

Back