stuck sparkplug

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fubar2

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Does anybody have any good ideas on how to get a recessed, rounded off shoulder, stuck sparkplug out? Without tearing the motor down. Its an aluminum head and champion plug. Its been in there for ten years and i cant budge it. Thanks in advance.

Maybe try a pin socket? It might be able to grab onto that rounded off plug.

you might knock off the ceramic and get some of those rounded bolt removal sockets bob villa advertises for sears.Squirt some blaster or transmission fluid on it and let soak .good luck

The big if>That is,if you could get it started the aluminum would expand enough to allow the plug to be removed.I had the same thing on a Lombard,after I let it run for about 5 minutes,it came right out.

ceramic is already broken. its soaking in pb blaster now. im afraid if i use a chisel the ceramic around the electrode will drop into cylinder. i think im gonna try the bob villa thing next. thanks.

If there's room, you might file flats on either side of the plug for a wrench. Or file all six sides down to a smaller socket size. Make sure and use a six point socket. I've used a hacksaw or a Dremel to cut a slot for a straight blade screwdriver socket and a hand impact tool, though that might break ceramic bits into your cylinder. Good luck.

What ever you try to do to get it out you should try to get the piston past the intake port in the cylinder just in-case the rest of the ceramic breaks this would help to keep it out of the intake port, if after it is out you are still concerned maybe remove the muffler and inspect the cylinder some for any fragments that may have fallen in the cylinder. As Al suggested heating the cylinder would help to release it some.

It's just another of those engineering things .... they make cylinder heads out of alloy and spark plugs out of steel.

So guess what happens ... well you're all helping with this one, you get electrolosis, erosion etc and the darned plug is stuck real good.

The best thing to try after a good soaking of lube is a ratched gun on air (I know some were thinking different, tch tch) the impact vibration is what works best. Rattle that plug outta there.

Makes sure your going anti clockwise too.

If you bugger the thread you can get it helicoiled.

If you have tryed pb blaster and it has not come off their most be something very wrong that stuff will pull about anything off. What I do is spray it on once a day for 3 days and I have never had anything that hadn't come off. I would try heat to thats about the only thing really left.

Hello,

if you have space enough you can even electric weld a longer big bolt on the spark plug screw. The Aluminum will transfer the heat much better as the steel and will not melt.

We once torched an hardened steel reduction ring out of an aluminum cylinder without damage to the surrounding aluminum.

Best regards
Christian

I like the heat idea, if the plug is rounded you might try a slighter smaller six point socket either in standard or metric, pound ( tap) it down over the plug to get a bite on it then use the heat thing and Blaster with a breaker bar for extra leverage. I would think it would come out after that. Just be careful, you could screw it up worse than it already is.

Bare in mind the danged thing is siezed.If you just try brute force,it could end up pulling the threads out of the head.It would then be fubar,Fubar :)

Happy Days,,,three days of pb blaster and bob villa came to the rescue. Its out now and running. Thanks to all who felt my pain.

Congrats, That Blaster is good stuff, Sears is OK , I would get banned if I said what I think of Bob Villa. Glad he isn't on This Old House anymore.

While were talking about Blaster, do they still make that lubricant in the red can?? local sources here quit carrying it and I miss it. Haven't found a decent substiute since then.

My blaster was in a yellow and white can. I was in Auto Zone today and do remember seeing something in a red can, but I cant remember the name of it. It was some kind of penetrant. Im not sure if it would be what your looking for or not.

Glad to hear you got it out without to much of a pain, did the rest of the ceramic hold itself together to did it crumble when you took it out?

Latest posts

Back