Stumping?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ammoaddict

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I have heard some of you guys talk about using a saw for "stumping". Does that mean just cutting the stump off flush with the ground or actually grinding the stump out with a saw?

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I have heard some of you guys talk about using a saw for "stumping". Does that mean just cutting the stump off flush with the ground or actually grinding the stump out with a saw?

Just another fancy word for falling timber.
ec8303538f6a20683eae6ac00b9b3d66.jpg

Getting ready to “stump”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After taking a tree down, cutting it as close to the ground as possible

There’s another way if the land is being cleared I leave the stumps 2’ high so the dozer can push them up. Otherwise there cut flush. Today stump grinders are more plentiful.

And don’t forget to bevel the edges of the stump with your saw so when you drive over it with your tractor or truck it is more forgiving for your tires.

Sent while firmly grasping my redline lubed RAM [emoji231]

Generally push mower level in the city, riding mower out of the city. Beyond that cutting the stumps up after they have been pulled if there is a need. Some are full of beautiful lumber. Wood turning bonanza.

And yes I own a stump grinder, a really old one that works good, however it is not always the correct tool.

Septic drain fields installation prep the stumps have to be pulled, no grinding allowed, for instance.

Sometimes a stump gets cut out of the ground, if it is the best option.

Latest posts

Back