stupid estimate question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zopi

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I hate to ask this, but I have no clue what is fair...one of my landscape clients has right about a cord of wood he wants split, it is already in rounds and stacked semi neatly..He wants me to bring my splitter and bust it for him, anyone have a ballpark figure on this?

The going rate around here if you are charging by the cord to split is $60, and if you are a real nice guy stack it as well. Not a lot of money in splitting wood for someone else if they have only one cord to split by the time you figure in your transportation cost, fuel, set up, etc.

Thanks, that is about what I figured...not something I want to make a habit out of, as you say..no money in it..but these folks are good customers and I stand to do several thousand dollars worth of tree work and landscaping for them in the next couple of years...

If it were me I would do a job like that for nothing if I knew I was going to make a few grand off the guy doing something else. For me it often
pays off to do small favors for people who can make me money later on.

If it were me I would do a job like that for nothing if I knew I was going to make a few grand off the guy doing something else. For me it often
pays off to do small favors for people who can make me money later on.

Sounds like a good idea, but it has been my experience in the past that anytime I do something for free, one of two things happen.Either they then expect me to do all kinds of things for free after that, or some weekend warrior comes along and underbids me and takes the work right out from under me.

Nope, I figure the best way is charge them a reasonable fee for the work and hope that the quality of my work and the value they get by hiring me will keep both of us in a good business relationship.

It never hurts to be as polite as possible and explain to him all the factors involved. I'd agree to do it but tell him its going to be a no rush kinda job...maybe fit it in when you are already there doing other work. Just so you don't loose out on the deal. I get a kick out of people that think just because I charge $60/hr, they think Im making $60/hr. Many a customer has had to be put in place by asking them if they would like to pay for my fuel, equipment maintenance, insurance, taxes so that I could make $60/hr.

Back