Stupid mistake lands me a MS880

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry the picture is on it's side. I'll play with it later and see if I can turn it.

attachment.php

So here it is. I'm gonna eat some lunch and head over to the mill and make some firewood.

This saw is no where near running lean. It wasn't even cleaning out wearing a 42 inch bar.

Oh i forgot, he even gave me a hat. :hmm3grin2orange:

I have a HD2 filter on it's way.

Thats a Ms180 for size.

What the heck is that yellow cylindrical thing sticking off the powerhead?

Very nice, I think you'll be pleased with it, I dont regret buying mine at all. Big and heavy yes but it sure is a blast to run in some big wood. The only problem is big cc saws are a little addictive, I'm constantly checking ebay and craigslist for 100+ cc saws. I need another like I need a hole in my head but hey it never hurts to look right. :msp_thumbup:

I've only picked one up at a dealer, you either have pythons for biceps or will have using that baby to cut firewood. It dang sure is one impressive sized saw, hope it does the job for you. My oldest son would love to have one, just so he could say he had the biggest saw in our area. I had to veto that idea.lol Congratulations and new saw rep!

Well I cut for 3 hours. Towards the end, I knew it was time to stop. I'll get back at it later tomorrow.

I made it through a full gallon of mix plus the free tank I got from the saw shop.

What the heck is that yellow cylindrical thing sticking off the powerhead?

Well that's a chunk of Box Elder I milled yesterday. The thing under the saw is a chunk of burl off a willow tree.

Actually maybe your talking about the fuel can that's behind the power head.

Last edited:
Here's the time lapse I made. I forgot to turn the camera on for the first two tanks. Also I set it to the side and you can only see half of what I cut. Tomorrow I'll get to cut some stuff that's a little larger. It was pretty lame cutting 6 inch stuff with an 880, but that's what I have to cut.

[video=youtube;nZWj2tTNfn8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZWj2tTNfn8[/video]

Do you notice much difference in the weight compared to the 076? + congrats on the new saw.

I'm not sure if there is a big difference. I'll post some numbers later today.

I thought the 076 was around 25lbs. I can't remember if that's with a bar or not.

The Stihl site says the 880 is 22.3.

I do have to say once I'm done with breaking it in, that will be the last time it see's anything less than 36 inches.

I finally made it to tank 11. It was a lot easier cutting firewood with a 25 inch bar. I doubt I'll do that again. Wow. That's one heavy saw to lug around.

I'm not totally impressed with it yet, but I do like it. I never ran the 076 cutting firewood so I don't have anything to compare to. It's still a little rich, but i think it might be just right for milling. I'm gonna mill a few small logs and see how it sounds.

Well I finally got to mill with the 880 and I was impressed. It holds anywhere from 8500-9200 rpm in the cut in a 45inch cut. I could feel it getting stronger.

It seems to be tuned perfectly for a 50 inch cut.

glad to hear you like it and am not regretting the purchase. the 076 is a hard to beat monster for milling.

glad to hear you like it and am not regretting the purchase. the 076 is a hard to beat monster for milling.

The 076 is an awesome saw but for some reason I've been having problems with mine. The fuel filter keeps getting stuck on a shelf in the tank and that's getting old quick. The other problem I've been having is it seems to be off for some reason or another.

I'll put the 076 back in the line up once I've got what ever is wrong sorted.

Well I finally got to mill with the 880 and I was impressed. It holds anywhere from 8500-9200 rpm in the cut in a 45inch cut. I could feel it getting stronger.

It seems to be tuned perfectly for a 50 inch cut.

Cool!!!! Id say really cool, sounds like it running strong!!! If you really want to see how is tuned in the cut run a few more tanks then while loaded up in the cut kill it pull the plug and post up a pic of the electrode firing tip!!!

Last edited:
Cool!!!! Id say really cool, sounds like it running strong!!! If you really want to see how is tuned in the cut run a few more tanks then while loaded up in the cut kill it pull the plug and post up a pic of the electrode firing tip!!!

Thanks. I'll get a pic the next time I mill a log. I could hear it clear out in the cut and every once and a while it would load up. I could also pull it out of the cut just a little bit and it would load up like in that video Brad posted.

Almost forgot. I'm up to about 25 tanks ran through it now.

Latest posts

Back