Stupid response

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can somewhat see some haggling sight unseen. A few years ago I did a turbo LS swap, 4 link build on a 67 Chevy II. Guy called from 600 miles away, didn’t mention a thing about negotiating until 30 minutes after he showed up with his truck and trailer. Now, if you’re going to drive 1200 miles round trip and not bring the full amount with you, you must have more time than I do. I told him it wasn’t negotiable, he paid it, loaded the car and left.

I don’t see a damn thing wrong with asking if the price is negotiable sight unseen. Lowballers....I typically just tell them it’s already sold.

I go to CL meetings concealed as well, so far, no bad experiences.

So I was checking out craigslist and noticed a saw that I'd like to try to get running so I said I'm interested and asked if the price was firm or negotiable.
I got a response saying "double for u" wtf is that crap? Another person who found grandpa's saw and want's a $1000.
Whatever happened to civility?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
You didn’t say if you went and looked at it and asked, or if you called and asked. I buy on CL, almost never sell. I give away a lot of saws, I sell a few. I put a fair price on my stuff. If someone calls and asks if I’ll take less before looking at it, I’m with the other guy. Every one knows cash is king, go look at it and make an offer. The other thing is most of the stuff on CL has been for sale, and did’t sell. The wife said get that POS out of the garage before it scratches my new car! If the guy had it priced cheap and you asked to go lower without looking, I find that rude, or figure you just want to flip it. I’ll also say, “ I can come over in about an hour, have you had many calls? I don’t want to drive all the way over and miss it by five minutes”. If he say he’s had a bunch of calls I’ll say, “ well, I can’t make it till the weekend, I’ll call back and see if you still have it”. If he says he hasn’t had many calls then you know you can deal. If he says he’s had a bunch of calls, and you call back in a few days, and it’s still there, you know you can deal. You never insulted him by asking to sell less before looking, but found out every thing you need to know.

So as not to get too far off topic I wasn't "miffed" that the seller wouldn't take my offer, non was given, I simply asked if the price was negotiable.
I was "miffed" at the response of "double for u".
Being new to the hobby I had paid too much for several saws and I know that from being a lunker for a while before being a contributor.
I asked only so I can decide if it's worth the hr drive 1 way and the over priced saw.
Many sellers list firm or negotiable and I only asked in case it was accidentally omitted.
Maybe some here have deep pockets and don't mind wasting time but I don't and do.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
In the 6th line you said you were trying to see if it was worth driving to look at an over priced saw. If it’s overpriced why call. This is a great hobby, and you can enjoy it cheap. I bought an old Homelite 7-29 with a 52” bar and helper handle for $60 at a farm auction. Every one there thought I was crazy. A collector here on AS offered me $800 plus shipping fir it, I sold it to him. You have to know what you are looking at. I’ve bought a few saws I paid way to much for, part of the learning curve. I’ve found I do best at old farm auctions, only bought one Homelite XL 700 on eBay. The seller said he had it running good. Turned out he got it fired up with ether, and kept squirting it in the carb till he melted the piston. Never got one off CL, they ask too much for most of them.

I bought my Stihl 032 AVE for $40 on Kijiji. The listed price was $50, I offered $30 and we settled in the middle. This was all before I met the seller. I find it easier that way. Agree on a price before, then the meeting and swap is much quicker. Anyone who is offended by getting an offer on a buy/sell site should not be selling on these sites.

As a seller, I won’t bid against myself before someone comes out and is actually making an offer.

If the buyer/interested party wants to throw out an offer, like OP apparently was willing to do, then do it. But it is stupid to expect the seller to back down from asking price before buyer has tendered an offer and then get miffed when he won’t play along.

Absolutely!

The seller recognized early on that he was dealing with a waste of time.

I was going to sell two new husky saws for $1,200 on cL. The guy messages me on a Friday that he gets paid and has $750 for both when can he pick them up. Again sight unseen. I’m so tired of dealing with buttheads. I told him I don’t need the cash. One saw cost me $1,200?

Btw, on eBay you can contact any seller and make an offer wether make an offer is listed or not.
When I see a add relisted or listed for a longtime I make an offer.

I have used it with great luck on a variety of items. Last time I used it though the guy burned me. He was selling a Pro Mac 700. Talked back and forth. Was 1 1/2 hours from me which I already didn’t like but communication was there. I got there and the guy was no where to be found. So a 3 hour round trip for nothing. I told myself right then and there I would never drive more than 30 mins 1 way again for any thing.

Some people get pissed when we start to haggle they have no clue of the old country way of life. Face to face haggle. Or I make an offer and they go down $0.25 at a time then freeze.
Note,
Dealing with local bargain papers. They come out on a weekly basis. Example I watched this motorcycle for three weeks in the bargain paper. The fourth week it wasn’t in the paper. My gut feeling it didn’t sell for $400 it’s a 72/185 suzuki. We drove there after calling. It was the night of ok Simpson’s bronco run. We listened to it all the way there on the radio. Ok we arrived and I got it for $250 with some haggling. The first clue to haggle was he told me I’m the only one who called and came to look at it. That’s my signal to low ball. Read the seller but you need to be face to face. The bike was mint and the carb needed cleaning.

It’s the art of the deal and how to read the seller, be upfront but not too harsh. Be subtle when offering not to fire prices at the seller go slow.

I learned to haggle from two older experienced horse traders as I call them. You want to see the deals they get. I sit back and watch, listen and learn.

I seen one deal were one got a 444, 2100, plus boxes of new oem cylinders, pistons and parts traded for one of those new at the time jred little top handle saws. No cash was exchanged. Such a deal.

I don't understand why you guys badmouth (buyers) using Gmail.
When you think about how most people won't block any scripts whatsoever.
About a third of the people I've ever contacted through C'list have infected computers that are sending spam with infected links.
Sh#t... The garbage that hit's my Craigslist gmail account is crazy.
I'll keep that email address until it gets too much spam to be usable and then pick a new one.

No eFing way I'd use anything other than a disposable email address, for dealing on Craigslist & most other sites.

Gmail is a free service, but the servers auto-scan your emails and collect keywords that they use to target you with advertising.
If you want true data protection you need to use end to end encryption.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back