SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope you don't burn a hole in your piston with all that spark. LOL

Out of curiosity, what capacitor did you use?
It was the one from Mouser Electronics, I am having trouble logging back into my account to find the part number but it was mentioned in this thread a few times. I couldn't find any on Ebay.

I finally found this thread after owning my 056 for over 30 years it's developed what I believe is this problem. While I haven't read all the posts on this thread I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has done this fix and had their saw working reliably for several years now? Before diving in to repair my saw I just want to know that the repair is pretty dependable for the long run.
Thanks

I recently acquired an 056 super it would run for a few minutes, and then would loose spark once the saw got warm. After reading foggy's thread, and some testing... I decided i would attempt a fix. i did not want to mount an external cap. Being an electronic technician by trade, and dealing with this sort of thing frequently, I decided to excavate the potting and replace the cap. I shielded the pulse transformers and ther things i didnt want to get hot with some thin metal. Aluminum foil will work in a pinch. I then warmed the potting with a heat gun to soften it. After removing the potting and circuit board i found the capacitor that foggy had mentioned to have a crack in it. Attached are photos. I am planning on replacing the cap with a pulse grade layered film capacitor https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Kemet/C4ATJBW4100A3DJ/?qs=pqRVuuzkf6Yl561bNRN1xQ==
And repotting with a thermally stable high voltage potting. I am currently waiting on my capacitors to finish the repair. 1612831867450.jpeg

Attachments

• 5714A180-B77E-400C-89B2-EEF8530AEF86.jpeg
    5714A180-B77E-400C-89B2-EEF8530AEF86.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • 5C353D5D-42C1-4AEB-979E-0241D7F70D1A.jpeg
    5C353D5D-42C1-4AEB-979E-0241D7F70D1A.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 68
  • B2828747-D2FA-4300-A8E3-07DAFABF33CF.jpeg
    B2828747-D2FA-4300-A8E3-07DAFABF33CF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 61
Pretty awesome. Thermal protection for the cap is obviously the key. It will be interesting to see how your approach holds up. That's an awful lot of work just to determine if it will.

Now if you could just figure out how to fix the SEM modules....

Pretty awesome. Thermal protection for the cap is obviously the key. It will be interesting to see how your approach holds up. That's an awful lot of work just to determine if it will.

Now if you could just figure out how to fix the SEM modules....
It is definitely risky, given the amount of work to do this type of repair. I am unfamiliar with an SEM module. Do you have any info so i can research. Curiosity gets the best of me.

There are a few pictures of them scattered throughout the thread. The main issue with them is what appears to be impregnable potting containing the circuit. I'm unaware of anyone attempting to dissect one..., at least not on purpose. It's more like dense bakolite than epoxy and would require some delicate micro-surgery to investigate the internal components. I thought I had a couple handy pics, but can't seem to locate them at the moment.

Looks like a type of potting i have come across before. I never had any success. Extremely hard. The few times i have attempted dissecting something with that hard stuff... I destroyed it.

Has anyone ever reverse engineered the circuit of this module? With the simplicity and super cheap overseas PCB services now it seems not too big a task to create all new ignitions from an understanding of the circuit and a schematic. Remotely locating the cap, like foggy did could even be designed into the circuit.

Hi everyone I’m new to the forum but I have an 056 Skil saw that I don’t wanna let die so I’m gonna try this a foggy cell repair I just have a real quick dumb question he mounted the second wire to the casing inside cannot not be wired to the casing somewhere else rather than running the wire through the hole I mean I’m assuming it’s just the ground for the other side of the capacitor if anyone can help me I’m sorry for the dumb question just trying to save a little work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did and it was a-lot of work to get the 2 wires thru the hole!
However i will try it both ways and comeback and post results.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back