SUCCESS!!! Just repaired Stihl 045/056 Bosch electronic ignition!!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You may want to keep an eye on these folks. They're bringing some interesting solutions to market for the older Stihl equipment. Only problem now is international shipping isn't available from them due to ongoing Covid restrictions. They have a couple items I'd like to get, so I check the status periodically via their email link. They' usually respond within 24hrs.

https://shop.saegenspezi.de/Cut-off-saw-spare-parts

You may want to keep an eye on these folks. They're bringing some interesting solutions to market for the older Stihl equipment. Only problem now is international shipping isn't available from them due to ongoing Covid restrictions. They have a couple items I'd like to get, so I check the status periodically via their email link. They' usually respond within 24hrs.

This one is a Dolmar.

I wired it both ways and was successful!
Also you only need a wire the size of ground wire as capacitor pins are so small!
So in closing one wire from module and second wire can be put to ground on case making this job so much easier.
PS Thank You Foggy sail for you efforts and sharing your success ?
We meed more people like you in our world!
Thanks Kip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Bosch setup addressed here may interchange depending on which Dolmar your chop saw is based on. There's compatibility among quite a few larger Dolmars of the era along with several large Huskys. 'Course you may already know that.
Hi Poge! Just paid a rare visit to this thread and nice to read your support for ‘’the fix.’’ Yes… it was 7 years ago when I asked Wifey to hold a tool showing how to make the repair while I took a picture for posting. After posting, had trouble explaining my red fingernail polish to all. Wifey is with me as I type here on my boat tied to my dock at a Coast Guard Auxiliary in Fairhaven MA.

The discouraging thing IMHO is the saw’s ignition should have had better cqpacitor that would increase the product cost mere pennies over what ultimately was used. The poor capacitor choice faulted an otherwise fine design causing heart aches for many, many people who depended on that tool for their living. I was and remain happy to have helped so many!!! Enjoy!

Foggy

Hi Poge! Just paid a rare visit to this thread and nice to read your support for ‘’the fix.’’ Yes… it was 7 years ago when I asked Wifey to hold a tool showing how to make the repair while I took a picture for posting. After posting, had trouble explaining my red fingernail polish to all. Wifey is with me as I type here on my boat tied to my dock at a Coast Guard Auxiliary in Fairhaven MA.

The discouraging thing IMHO is the saw’s ignition should have had better cqpacitor that would increase the product cost mere pennies over what ultimately was used. The poor capacitor choice faulted an otherwise fine design causing heart aches for many, many people who depended on that tool for their living. I was and remain happy to have helped so many!!! Enjoy!

Foggy
Hey Foggy,

Great to see you here again, and Many thanks for your time and effort on the original post and fix, its much appreciated, your time and effort has helped many people get their saws back up and running well again.

We all truly appreciate your time and effort you put into posting the fix.

Thanks again, and enjoy your day.

Hi, Foggy.

Nice to hear you're enjoying life. It's good to see you make a long overdue appearance. Lots of 1115 series saws have enjoyed new life because of you.., except my own, ironically enough. LOL

Probably one of the reasons I've kept up with the thread is I get re-energized to pull my 056 project out of the box every time there's a new post.., going on eight years now. One of these days is what I keep telling myself. It's a very nice saw with a bad SEM module. Ran across a Bosch module and flywheel locally a couple years ago and have a couple of the chips you originally specified stashed away. Just replaced my trusty old Weller WP40 last week with a new WP35, so I'm good to go when the moment strikes. I've rebuilt three other 1115's in the process of trying to get to my own. The last was an 045 with the old Bosch points ignition. Now there's spark you can weld with!

Thanks for your time, effort, patience, and contribution of "The Foggy Fix" to chainsaw folk lore and repair history!

Stay well, and kind regards.

Hey there!

I am intrigued by this... do we think this will work?

While some of the TS 350/360 cutoff saw parts interchange with the 045/056, here is an 056 specific link that may be more relevant regarding many other parts. The ignitions have had mixed reactions and aren't necessarily part of the subject matter / discussion here.

https://shop.saegenspezi.de/spare-parts/Stihl/045-AV-056-AV

I'm sure I could, but there could also be a whole other can o' worms besides the ignition in such an arrangement that I'd prefer not to tempt! I just finished a points 045 rebuild for a fellow that became an absolute nightmare and took months to finish simply due to parts being tough to find..., starting with a points crank. LOL
Plus I have a SEM 056 of my own still needing converted to Bosch for the fix that's been staring at me for a couple o' years. And I'm in Ohio, so shipping would be a little pricey.

Sorry I can't help. Maybe someone closer will chime in who can.

I'm sure I could, but there could also be a whole other can o' worms besides the ignition in such an arrangement that I'd prefer not to tempt! I just finished a points 045 rebuild for a fellow that became an absolute nightmare and took months to finish simply due to parts being tough to find..., starting with a points crank. LOL
Plus I have a SEM 056 of my own still needing converted to Bosch for the fix that's been staring at me for a couple o' years. And I'm in Ohio, so shipping would be a little pricey.

Sorry I can't help. Maybe someone closer will chime in who can.
Pogo, you don’t happen to have a NOS 056 super piston?

Greetings! Seems there are many success stories about this fix so hoping my $10 garage sale find will be one of them! My 056 super does have the bosch ignition however it seems to have gotten hot and the potting has melted and expanded leaving a sticky black substance all inside the flywheel. I have yet to try and dig the potting out but is this likely to sabotage any potential chances of a fix?

Found an 056 with dead spark, thankfully found this thread. Have capacitors on the way, hopefully they are correct, they aren't Phillips, but as far as I can tell the specs look right. At any rate, the price was worth a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/162042775412
jjdlc, did these end up working out for you? Needing to order capacitors myself, if it was a success, I might send this guy my business too!

Thanks,
Austin

Latest posts

Back