success with Pinscher?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Just curious whether or not anyone has had any success with reducing the quantity of fruit on ornamentals by using products such as Pinscher, Florel, etc. Client wants this done, but I'm hesitant to try it as I've only heard mixed results. Any help here?

Thanks.

Fruit reduction

Nothing has worked that we have used. (we have never used Pinscher)

Florel sprayed at flower opening has had some success - but the timing window is extremely small. Thus we no longer use it as we have had to refund too much money.

Injections with this product (pinscher) causes weeping wounds since it is a solvent based product. The tissue around the injection dies back and the wounds cannot close very well. The killed wood is usually attacked by wetwood bacteria. An ugly mess. I have never seen any research on it.

Since it is a type-one growth regulator (causes cell division to stop in cells it contacts), I cannot imagine how it works. This material is not specific to tissue that is associated to flowers or fruit - thus the whole cambium would be affected.

Without research on its effects - I would say it is a risky treatment. Since the fruit is just a nuisance and not a real problem.....

Hope this helps

Last edited:
thanks

Thanks for your input. I had heard about the wounding issues, and as it is we tend to favor the Mauget approach versus the Wedgle system so I'm not real thrilled about using Pinscher anyways. I agree with you on the fruit, but I guess she keeps getting nagged about it by her neighboring businesses. Maybe I'll experiment with it and let her know about all the downsides. Again, thanks for the info.

Dixon

For only one tree

Since you are only treating one tree, I would spray florel. It does work very well. Timing is the key - you need to spray just after flower opening.

Let us all know how it works if you do it.

When using Florel, you also need temperatures above 60 -65 degrees. That's why it works better on later flowering species.

Back