Sugar in the tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have all missed the boat on this, think "powderd sugar' it will useally clear the filters and does wicked damage with heat.
An dy

sugar in tank

If you were to add some flapjacks and back-bacon with that piston you'd have a solid breakfast that would stick to ya ribs for sure, lol. This could be a case for the local police, taking justice into your own hands ( although seems like a good idea! ) can only lead to more problems. There is always two-sides to every story, than the truth!! If it can be proven that the neighbour was responsible, than, the saws owner made be able to recoup the cost of a new saw or, at the very least the repair bill ( Which i know won't be cheap!! ). Either way, it sucks to have this happen to any saw.

Mr. said:
I got a neighbor I am going to deserve. Chainsaw 10 oclock at night. He works second shift, so chainsaw at noon it is.

Who ever said we are wasting our time here.

I have seen sugar in the injectors of a FI vehicle so forget the filter business.

Sugar does not "dissolve" in gas. It creates a suspension. Think iced tea.

Fred

Sorry, but it does not create a suspension. It just gets wet and lays in the bottom of the contrainer. It will plug up filters but that is about it. Try it yourself.

Harry K

Theres no way to tell this by eye.

You would need to first check the specific gravity of the gasoline used, then add sugar and wait a couple of days shaking occaisonally.

After this you could recheck the specific gravity and then you would know for sure.

Jim Mesthene said:
Dissolve some sugar or Karo corn syrup in Drygas (alcohol), add to fuel.

You hit the nail on the head, most pump mixes have a alchol, some have a little suspended water, both would take sugar into the engine.

In Dean's case, I think that if it were sugar, it would have been added to the supply can, and not the saw,,,,, it would also fallow most take in there saws in, but leave the gas can out near the wood.

But if this guy really wanted the bone-head award, why suger, when food coloring and pure gas would have wiped out the saw while he cowered in his window?

I been thinking. From the pic there is alot of build up all over in that saw. If it was sugar or syrup. Could you just imagine how much it would take to do that. Dean, what did this gentleman store his gas in? I would also look it the can it was in too. Something like that did not just happen in 1 tank full . If it did the saw should have not ran with that much garbage going through the carb.
Later
Bob

BlueRidgeMark said:
I've often wondered what a bit of nitromethane would to to an ordinary engine....

:D

try some in a diesel motor they sound real good at 10,000 RPM just befor the crank comes out the pan:hmm3grin2orange:

well I jsut got a call from the owner and all his other saws are fine. We got to talking and now the thought might be it came from the dealer this way. I know he has not been the happiest with his dealer and it was suggested that maybe he pizzed an emplyee off.

ASD said:
try some in a diesel motor they sound real good at 10,000 RPM just befor the crank comes out the pan

Is that the voice of experience speaking? :hmm3grin2orange:

klickitatsacket said:
Here is a little more to the story...... I went back into the shop and smelled the cylinder. Now I could smell burnt sugar. Some of the other guys in the shop said they could smell maple too, but I only smelled burnt sugar. The residue of fuel in the tank was some what thick and did have a strange feel to it. No matter what was put in it the end result is that the entire saw is going to have to be gone through and cleaned. The tank, lines, carburetor, boot, crank case, piston and cylinder. A lot of labor just to make sure and protect this saw. When I called the customer back he explained the story of the neighbor not being happy with him and thinks that it might have been him. That is all I know of for sure. I am convinced it is some sort of sugar. Maybe a syrup or pop orregular sugar, I do not know for sure but the smell of burt sugar is a tough one to miss.

Hey Klickitatsacket - Didn't mean to sound like I was questioning what it was or you sense of smell, just questioning how it got there. Some other posts mentioned alcohol blended fuel and powdered sugar - either may be the answer. Bottom line is someone put something in there and it stinks! I think someone on this site will come up with something. I have an old Sears 2.0 (Poulan I think). I may just sacrifice it to the cause and load it up with sugar to see what happens.

My Uncle found out years ago what caused the glazed saw innard mystery.... He named it "The Milkjug Effect!!" As many rednecks here in our area need some more fuel mix to get a job done with a saw that someone let them borrow for 20 minutes. So when they get to the minit mart, they rumble around in the dumpster, pull out an old milk jug, and use it for their oil mix... That hard glazes from cooked dissolved plastics from the milk jug, and the saw is ruined........

My Uncle found out years ago what caused the glazed saw innard mystery.... He named it "The Milkjug Effect!!" As many rednecks here in our area need some more fuel mix to get a job done with a saw that someone let them borrow for 20 minutes. So when they get to the minit mart, they rumble around in the dumpster, pull out an old milk jug, and use it for their oil mix... That hard glazes from cooked dissolved plastics from the milk jug, and the saw is ruined........

Looking online at piston failures in 2 strokes, this is exactly what they describe happening when gas comes in contact with non-fuel rated plastics. Let me see if i can pull up some info...

check this out http://static.squarespace.com/static/502a4f5ae4b0ce22e4c46e54/t/510c394ae4b0b50dd94e38cd/1359755594807/2-Cycle Failure Analysis Report.pdf

I've seen similar pictures like the varnished gas picture, saying thats what happens when unapproved plastic containers dissolve in fuel and then deposits are formed in the engine.

Latest posts

Back