Sugar Maple Problem....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skeeter

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have some pics of a sugar maple that I am trying to figure out this problem.

What would be the cause of this huge gash on its west side?

It has the start of another on the bottom of the east side as well.

Thanks for any help....

Skeeter

Can you post the pics?

If it is not mechanical damage, sounds like sunscald (esp on S or SW sides) or frost cracks. But would need pics to rule out canker or trunk decay issues though.

Well....I thought I had attached the pic...

I cant seem to get the pic to attach ???

What am I missing here guys/administrator ???

Thanks Again,

Skeeter

Interesting, Skeeter. I'm having the same problem.

If you do figure out how to attach, let me know, 'cause I still can't get it to work either.

My pics are the right size and type, and show up in the attach file window, but don't post.

I'm running Mac w/ Netscape if that matters. I wonder if cookies have something to do with it?

Are you using windows to post pic or are you posting from website? Are you just putting picname.jpg? If you are just double click on it when you find it. Also the pic could be to big. Downsize it and try again. Here is a pic of my kid sleeping after eating skiddy.

I was going to give you a hard time Darin and show skeeter the benefits of downsizing HUGE pictures. BUT...I waited the fifteen minutes for it to download in its entirety and decided I wouldn't touch THAT picture for anything! Thanks for posting it...I'll eat my lunch now with a mushy grin. Great picture. Che

Oh...Brian's right...I lose every picture I've ever 'previewed' first.

Darin, that kid is cute! Thats how I feel after a big pasta dinner, too.

That messy mush is about as bad as what happened to me on Halloween. I was taking my 9 yr old trick or treating, and my 2 yr old was up riding on my shoulders. She sat up there eating candy and using the top of my head as a dish rag for her chocolatey fingers, and a parking place for a lollipop.

Thanks, all, for the pic's advice.

Heres the other side....

...90 degrees around the other side is the start of this split.

Whats goin on with this tree?

It is large and an old tree, prolly 70' + and 30" DBH or so.

The city would be liable to take it down if it would have to be taken, but it is getting to be an eye sore and I think its beyond help.

Thought I would ask the pros here...

Skeeter

Sorry guys....still gettin the hang of this pic posting here

I think that last pic was too big.

Lets try it again....half sized this time.

Skeeter

First pic is more worrisome since likelihood of decay there is much greater than last pic, which isn't too bad.

Again, could be frost crack from a rapid deep freeze, or sun scald injury during a droughty heat wave. Both leave long lateral wounds.

Another possibility: If the trees were there, and smaller obviously, when the lot was cleared & drive was boxed out, that could have been when injury occured. Which came first, the trees or the driveway (road?)

Which compass directions are the wounds on?

At least we got our pic posting figured. ;)

Anyway, not a good tree to leave on any property, public or private.

Answers.....

Hey Sylvatica

Yea !!! Finally pics to go with the story.

(Q) Which came first, the trees or the driveway (road?)
(A) Not sure, this house and property was built in 1927 so Im guessing the road was close to that old. The question is, how old is this tree? Can that be determined? My neighbor, a little old lady of about 85 remembers her tree being 10' tall when she was a lass. That would be about te same timeframe as the house being built vs tree age I guess.

(Q) Which compass directions are the wounds on?
(A) The huge crack faces due west. The second smaller crack is opposite on the east side. They dont get much sun on the trunks as they and their neighbor maples ahe 70-80' tall.

At least we got our pic posting figured. ...Yes indeed !

Anyway, not a good tree to leave on any property, public or private.
(Q) Should I have it taken out or leave it?
I vote to leave it to find its fate.....

Opinions ???

Without more history of the tree's past, the solution to it's wounds origin may remain a mystery..............simply too many variables with minimal history! In my opinion, which is merely given on the provided pictures, I would say that you could rule out frost cracks...................this particular crack is too wide...............the level of decay is too advanced. Frost cracks typically and I stress typically open under constriction in the colder months and more-less close in the summer. Being that part of the wound faces west, sunscald could have been a factor in the tree's more juvenile years, when the bark was more thin and smooth. Judging by the evident 'rams-horning' (curling of wound-wood), the damage occured many years ago. Typically the insulative value of thick, furrowed bark makes trees more resistent to such temperature fluxuations. The sad part of an arborists life, is that all (well almost all) forms of damage are irreversible. Once it's done, it must be dealt with. I wouldn't rule out a bad mechanical wound that allowed a point of entry for decay, such a ripped off limb or possibly a poor (meaning aweful) flush-cut.

I would suggest that you call in a local expert with the credentials to add validity to his/her assessment. Find out the structural integrity and the overall vigor of the tree in question. Seeing how you have already identified a problem, you are aware of its potential hazard. Even if the city/town is responsible for the care and removal of the tree, it will most likely stand there until you show them the problem and hastle them into solving it!

In determining if a tree is a hazard there are two main considerations. First is the condition of the tree, second is the targets should the tree fail.
This tree has obvious structural flaws which put it at a higher risk of failure.
It seems you don't want the tree there anymore, based on your comment about its' appearance. A call to the town would be all it would take to get the tree removed. You see, once you notify the township of the hazard, it greatly increases the towns legal liability should it fail.
If I'm wrong and you want to save the tree, then you need to take Shane's advice and call in a credentialed expert.

Originally posted by Mike Maas
This tree has obvious structural flaws which put it at a higher risk of failure.
you need to take Shane's advice and call in a credentialed expert.
Once hazard is determined, how to mitigate comes next. Removal is the easy answer, but short of that crown reduction can lessen the strain on the defect(s) while preserving enough canopy for the tree's survival.
I'm not seeking Round 5 of the Reduction=/="Topping" harangue with mm, just noting that it can reduce risk while preserving an asset. :angel:
Before you stress yourself out about those defects lean a ladder up there and tap those areas with a rubber mallet. My guess is you'll hear a hollow but there is plenty of tough wood on the outside. Measure the hollow by shoving a stick in there, but anyone who applies the decay/strength loss formulas :confused: should do so with caution, for they don't take into account the toughness of that woundwood. Plus you have to start with the fact that the tree has been standing for quite a while with those defects.
Those are the first two steps this CA would take; if you do em yourself you may allay much of your concern.:cool:

It seems you don't want the tree there anymore, based on your comment about its' appe

Mike and Guy,

Mike....I absolutely do not wish to remove the tree at all....it is providing alot of (free) 2pm-6pm shading to my house.

Im just looking out for it is all. It is looking terrible in the last few years and I just wondered what to expect and/how to deal with it.

Guy....I will lean a ladder up there and poke around and tap as you suggest. I shoulda done it yesterday, but was busy watchin football ! GO Cheifs 9-0 !

What if the tree is indeed hollow near the top of the crack?

How should it be dealt with?

TIA....Skeeter

Back