Sugar Maple with red leaves?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BostonBull

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I am a bit confused I believe I was told on this site that thwe only maple that has red leaves is a crimson king (norway maple) BUT I did a tree for my grandmother in law today and she said the tree that has the same bark and growth structure as a sugar has RED leaves?????

Could it be ?

BostonBull said:
I am a bit confused ?????...Could it be ?

Yes and now I am. What is the question? What did you do to Granny's tree and did you do it in public? I hope she didn't have to watch. :dizzy:

Last edited:
Elmore.......your quick on your feet!! Great job thats hilarios.

CAN WE MAKE THIS A STICKY?

But seriously do you know the answer?

But seriously do you know the answer?[/QUOTE said:
I may have the answer but first...I must know of the question. Forgive my insolence but can you be more specific?

WHAT other maples besides Crimson King Norway maples have red leaves in the summer? Do sugar maples have them in the summer?

Are there any OTHER Maples with red Leaves? How about a Silver?

CAn someone PLEASE answer this question?

OK that might be it. The leaves are red in the summer from what I was told. I'll have to see for myself. It has the growth pattern of a sugar and the bark of a sugar or possibly silver. But it has been pruned and is in the backyard near a fence with a bunch of other dominant trees around it. Do all the royal reds or crimson kings bark look like a norways bark? Or could they look peely like a silver/sugars bark?

Uhh, Schwedlers are red early, Crimson kings are more of a purple during the summer, and royal reds are a little more redish during the summer, as I recall. Don't bet on it though. I'm no Norway Maple expert, they are considered invasives around here.

Back