Suggestions 4X4 to Pull 4000Lb Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DDM

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently Purchased a 4000Lb Carlton Tow Behind Stump Grinder.I Have Big Trucks with which to haul it around But i would like to buy a 4X4 just to use with the grinder. I am leaning toward a 3/4 Ton pickup with a diesel. Suggestions/ oppinions?

I had a Vermeer Stumper which was about 5200 lbs and pulled with 2001 F-350 Auto Diesel. Best truck I have used to tow stumpers the last 40 years. Just my input.

If you go with a 3/4 ton get airbags on the rearend. Thats a little bit of weight on the hitch there and they will help with handling, Dont get a one ton cause when you arent towing you wont be a pleasured driving the truck.

A 3/4 ton diesel has the same power as a 1-ton and will ride better on a rough road. on that note a 1/2 ton is better yet but I dont know if a guy can get a 1/2 ton deisel, think the engine is a little heavy.

My F-250 pulls things silly, and still glad its not a 1-ton. Do wish the tranny shifted different thoiugh.

My 3/4 ton GMC had a smaller radiator, no power steering cooler, smaller brakes, etc. compared to my 1 ton.
Personally for a work truck I wouldn't buy less than a f-550. I even find myself overloading my international trucks from time to time. Buy as big a truck as you can afford, you'll always find a way to fill it up. The cost difference isn't that great but the durability is.

My $.02

Thats my point I feel a 3/4 ton is max for a travel/light tow vehicle. If a guy is leaning towards a 1-ton it makes little sense, get a 550 or even a 650 you get more heavy duty truck bigger brakes etc.

Hmmmm I Have a 650 & 750 But There Too large to manuever a stump grinder around a yard with. I have a F350 with a Diesel and a 14' Bed wood hauler. I'll probably go with a F-350 PSD 4X4. Might want to pull the t-190 around with it from time to time.

If your only pulling a stump grinder then a srw P/U truck would do the job. Hell if you need a personal use work truck driving around doing jobs packing saws etc a regular P/U will do ya.

A F-550 is overkill for a personal use truck they ride like a tank and handle like one. Personally my old 89 F-Superduty (450) handles better and drives more like a beefed up P/U truck compared to the 550 I was driving for a company. The F-Superduty trucks do have one drawback is they are 2wd but if your careful you don't get stuck too often.

If your working in peoples yards a F-550 which weighs 9000lbs empty can sink into a lawn or damage someones septic leech field. They don't steer too sharp either so if you need to get in a tight spot forget it.

So to sum it up get a F-350 srw 4x4 you should be happy with it the local loggers use them here for work trucks.

Back