Suggestions for a light weight saw for trimming and limbing?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for occasional trimming and small stuff I sometimes use one of the older Wild Thing Poulans. They're dirt cheap around here and easy to work on..Some of the older Wood Sharks are good too...
My Craftsman 4218 still runs strong:
Craftsman 4218.jpgPoulan made it but my Echo CS-3900 cuts just as fast and will likely last forever.

Thanks guys....just ordered that Echo 352 off of eBay. $200.....and it will be here Monday . Saved me almost $80 over buying locally when you figure in tax.

Almost too good to be true....hope it's not a refurb saw or something....and hope you doesn't trash it.

Nice! At first it may feel strange and possibly not worthy of cutting too much because it is so light. lol Also, the rings seat after about 5 tanks of gas and the power does increase. I read about this and found it to be true. Then of course theirs the muffler mod. Several of us reported that our 352's that were made in 2018 did not have a cat conv. However, opening up the mufflers small exhaust port and the tuning did wake the saw up.

If it is not brand new or of it is damaged report it to ebay. They are very supportive and responsive when it comes to fraud sales. However, always contact the seller first to see what they have to say.

The biggest savings was the fact that the same saw is $250 locally....and I got it for $200 on eBay. At this point, it doesn't look like eBay charged me tax....so I saved another $20+.
Indiana always charges me sales tax on ebay purchases but that's the way they are in this state. I think they call it greed..

As others have said: echo 2511t. Probably will be my next saw because it's light and supposedly muff mods very well.
I'm patiently waiting for echo to bring the 2511wes to the states. Looks to be under 6lbs for a rear handle.

I picked up a lightly used 352 for $110 at a pawn shop last week.

Thanks guys....just ordered that Echo 352 off of eBay. $200.....and it will be here Monday . Saved me almost $80 over buying locally when you figure in tax.

Almost too good to be true....hope it's not a refurb saw or something....and hope you doesn't trash it.
Congrats.
Look forward to hearing how you like it.

Well, my "Brand New" Echo CS-352 came in today. I'm a little disappointed....just because it looks like it's been ran, but maybe they do that before they leave the factory? The tank smells like fuel, the bottom of the case and handle looks like it's been scuffed up, the muffler has oil/carbon all over it, and the chain has thrown some bar oil inside the clutch area. It looks like it's been ran....but not cut anything (the chain is clean). Probably not even worth worrying about...right? Maybe I can get the ebay seller to give me a little bit of a refund. I guess for $200, I really can't complain.

I'll try to get out tomorrow and cut some wood with it! It's going to look a lot worse after I run a few tanks of fuel through it.

DI61F4E.jpg

NOoQm84.jpg

B0jNu8z.jpg

sAX0RIg.jpg

Not sure what to think about the condition. I'd send the pics to the seller and ask why it was used but advertised as brand new. That would also mean not to use it until an agreement is met. Then again, its a nice saw and you got it for a good price, especially without paying taxes.

Actually.... thinking about it a little more. What if someone bought it a registered it already for the warranty.......then returned the saw? Is there any way for me to check that?

My echo dealer will not allow a new saw from his shop with out running and tuneing it for the area.
Echos at one time had a rep of being sold adjusted to lean and pukeing quick.

You can always send in the numbers to Echo and ask if it is now regustered in your name.

:D Al

90% of Echo,s require muffler modifications for optimal power . Even without Muffler Mods , retuning of the carbs in most Regions is eventually needed , once broken in due to their epa restricted style carbs . I always advise the customer to have the Dealer agree to saw tuning at a later date prior to purchase by the owner . P.S. Also as previously advised understanding the owner liabilities of the 5 yr warranty is critical !

My local husky dealer never gave me a saw he didn’t take out of the box new and run for me first. He cut and adjusted the carb. I’d rather have him check it first.

Note, tru value stores had sales on the Stihl ms170 for $159 the past few holidays. It’s no world beater or for cutting the giant redwoods but for the small stuff it’s perfect.

Back