Suggestions for a new saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you thought of looking at the Jonsered range, they're cheaper than Husky or Stihl, but imo probably as good. Dont know about the pricing over there but they're cheaper over here. I'm currently running a 50cc and 95cc Jonny, as well as stihl toppa, Husky 254, Husky 136 for little jobs and back-up.

Molecule said:
thanks, I leaped right over that quote ... for the Stihl 260-usa, catalog config is 16" RM2 (chisel with "triple-humped" tie strap) in 325 x 063. Not an ideal chain. For the 440, 20" bar 3/8x050 -- again RM2 "triple-hump-ump-umped" ties. Doesn't seem fair to run that chain against a Oregon Vanguard (if that is std for Dolmar in Europe-?) for the 70cc-3/8 range ? Any European members know which chain dolmar uses for the 50cc's ?

Speaks volumes for their saws and chains, doesn't it !

Molecule said:
thanks, I leaped right over that quote ... for the Stihl 260-usa, catalog config is 16" RM2 (chisel with "triple-humped" tie strap) in 325 x 063. Not an ideal chain. For the 440, 20" bar 3/8x050 -- again RM2 "triple-hump-ump-umped" ties. Doesn't seem fair to run that chain against a Oregon Vanguard (if that is std for Dolmar in Europe-?) for the 70cc-3/8 range ? Any European members know which chain dolmar uses for the 50cc's ?

I don't think that those chains are standard on this saws in Germany, where the test took place.

The test has been shown and commented on at this forum earlier, and there is several factors that make the results questionable at best.

-Lack of knowledge about cutting attachment is one.
-Undue focus on rip cutting performance is another - who does a lot of this with 50 cc saws? :angry:
-It seems only one saw of each model was tested.
-The PS 5000 was pre-production, probably with a lot of time on it, while the others were new and probably not run in. :angry2:
-The test was conducted in collaboration with Dolmar, and cannot be regarded as an independent test, I think. :angry:

SawTroll, I wholeheartedly agree on the lack of validity of this test. They should be using the same chain on all the saws. Also agree on the lack of importance of a rip cutting test with a 50 cc saw. I also find it hard to believe that the 346xp came up that short. This saw needs to be kept in its "sweet spot" as far a rpms go for max cutting speed. Was this done? If they were forcing the saws in the cut my 353 probably would have posted a better time.....

The test is certainly far from perfect, but it does give valuable information. Obviously there is going to be bias, especially since Dolmar assisted with the testing. To ber more fair, they should have had factory technicians from each company represented to optimize each saw, and they should have used the same brand and type chain on each saw. They also should have ran at least 10 tanks of fuel through each saw before any testing began. I would not take for gospel truth all of the figures, BUT, the test does show that Dolmar is building a very competitive product worthy of consideration. They would not be winning awards in Germany, otherwise.

I agree that the 353 probably would have beaten the 346xp in that test cutting. :blob2:
To be a little blunt, to me the test seems to be specially designed to make the Dolmars shine, on Husky's cost.
The whole thing reminds me more of biased journalism, rather than serious testing.
:angry: :angry2: :angry:

Anyway - I think that chip and dust clearing is a weak point in Husky's designs, at least for the 372 and smaller saws. I think it is one of the tradeoffs Husky has made to get the saws slimmer, and better handling. Whether it matters is up to the user to decide.

Although these tests are not perfect, they do give an excellent outlook on the various products.

I know some here will say that the Dolmar tech. or the others had to be bias, but they would also have said the same would he have been a Stihl rep or other rep. except for a the rep. of their chosen brand.

I believe that when companies are faced with such scenarios they lay down very stringent ground rules to prevent sour graping in order not to undermine their credibility and responsabilities.

I wonder what some would be posting here if it was a tech rep of their chosen brand and the results were still the same.

Food for thought.

Good and valid points by all. Sawtroll, the 372 and 365 have inboard clutches and dont seem to have any trouble during "rip cutting". 359 and below have outboard, right? Tony, you are absolutely right. Dolmar is and probably always has made a first class, very competitive product. Lobo, you are right. No matter who did the test, someone that favored another brand would be crying sour grapes no matter what was done to make sure the test was fair.

brent denny said:
...........No matter who did the test, someone that favored another brand would be crying sour grapes no matter what was done to make sure the test was fair.

Thank you! :)
I really don't favour any brand. I am quite sure that I would have had a Dolmar saw by now, if dealer support had existed. :angry:

Jonsered saws sure are the prettiest though. :blob2:

E-lux weight issues

I have seen a lot of statements about Husky (and Jonsered) "overweight" on this site, and I have made such statements myself. Some posters have even tried to make/state general rules, as to how much overweight they are.

DLG has weighted the saws as they should be weighted, less bar & chain - but with cluch cover etc.

Just for the record:
Husky models 357xp, 359, 362xp, 365 and 372xp "advertised" weights are:
5.5, 5.5, 6.0, 6.0 and 6.1 kg.
Test weight for these were:
5.9, 5.8, 6.1, 6.1 and 6.4 kg.
As we can see it varies a lot how much overweight they are, with the 357 xp as the worst case (.4 kg equals about 8/9 of a pound)! :angry:

One conclusion is that, contrary to what many people believe, there are as much weight difference between 365 and 372xp, as there are between 359 and 365! :blob2:

Most smaller Huskys weight .1 kg more than adverticed.

Stihl MS 361 was tested at 5.6 kg, as adverticed.
Stihl MS 440 was tested at 6.2 kg, .1 kg overweight.
Stihl MS 460 was tested at 6.5 kg, as adverticed.
Stihl MS 660 was rested at 7,3 kg, as adverticed in Germany.

Dolmar 6400, 7300 and 7900 were all tested at 6.4 kg, which is .1 or .2 kg overweight (adverticement varies).

Husky 385 was tested at 7.1 kg, .1 kg overweight.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back