suggestions on what saw to buy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that is not what i was responding to. you put forth the criteria of "best bang for your buck", not which saw has the largest dealer network.

Best bang for buck is a $15 carb kit for the 70cc MAC he already has. OK, maybe another $20 for a fuel line and air filter.

When you get that PM700 you're looking at murph, you'll understand.

Last edited:
that is not what i was responding to. you put forth the criteria of "best bang for your buck", not which saw has the largest dealer network.

OK, but for me bang for your buck includes having a saw that I can get parts for in a timely fashion. Example you could have a a 10lb 8hp super saw for $400 dollars, but the first time it broke down and you couldnt get parts, it would be useless IMO.

Hey if you have a good Dolmar dealer close to you, or dont mind waiting for parts should a problem arise then by all means check them out. It is just my opinion, but the dealer and parts availibilty is a big part of the total package with the bang for your buck deal.:cheers:

TS,
i can have my parts overnight and still pay a comparable amount as i would if i picked up a similar part from a H or S dealer.....i know, i have all three brands.

Thats cool. I am just an impatient person by nature, and like the fact that my dealer is less than 10 miles away. He has also been a Jred dealer for along time, so he stocks ALOT of jred parts. If I roll in there in a pinch he will usually stop what he is doing to get me fixed up right away. But I also have spent alot of money at his shop, so I guess thats fair.

aren't the 365 and 372 the same saw not withstanding the p/c?

There is about a halv pound weight difference, even though the specs show less difference.

In the US the difference may be a tad larger, as the 372s usually are high-tops, while the 365s are not.

They both weight more than the specs say, as do the 6400/7300/7900.

Based on a number of supposedly reliable independent test results, I believe it goes about like this;

365, 6.1kg
372xp (low top), 6.3kg
6400/7300/7900, 6.4kg

I doubt if you will feel the difference, picking them up - and the choise of bar is much more important for the end result....:biggrinbounce2::laugh::laugh:

...and heavier - LOL

7oz heavier
.3hp more powerful

and still being produced

why does husky list a different weight (for 2mm's less bore, but with a 2mm larger piston) for the 2 saws that are identical except for the p/c, and dolmar list the same weight for the 64/73/79's? i still have a 6401 that i can weigh. i am putting a 79 top end on it next week. i am interested to see how much the weight changes. i have weighed my 7900 with just little gas at about 13lb 10oz.

There is about a halv pound weight difference, even though the specs show less difference.

In the US the difference may be a tad larger, as the 372s usually are high-tops, while the 365s are not.

They both weight more than the specs say, as do the 6400/7300/7900.

Based on a number of supposedly reliable independent test results, I believe it goes about like this;

365, 6.1kg
372xp (low top), 6.3kg
6400/7300/7900, 6.4kg

I doubt if you will feel the difference, picking them up - and the choise of bar is much more important for the end result....:biggrinbounce2::laugh::laugh:

Niko,

You ever run a 6400? I have. It's real close to a 372XP. Now, full disclosure. The 6400 was well broken in and the 372XP was just starting life.

The 6400 rocks,

ole joat

For a guy who says '' He doesn't cut that often'' I would go for that used 390 Stihl, and I'm not even a Stihl fan. Buy it for $325 and use the extra to fix your other 2 saws. You may have a little leftover coin for a comealong or some other nice to have item.

If you need to go new I just got that Baileys e-mail and they have a sweet deal going on the Makita 6400 thats right at your numbers. You'll never need another saw.

Latest posts

Back