Suggestions, please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

58HUSTLER

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Bought a home on 2 acres, lots of trees, mostly pines, vast majority not more than 15-20 yrs old. A friend recommended a 455 Rancher (20in), which I bought but I seem to have a lot of trouble keeping the thing together (throwing chains, etc). I will readily admit part of the problem is my relative inexperience with chainsaws. That withstanding, I now know the 455 is basically a homeowner saw mainly for minor usage. Would it be advisible for me to consider a more powerful saw (I was looking at a Stihl 660) considering I'll need to be doing a lot of cutting. The 660 has twice the horsepower of the 455. Do you think the 660 is overkill? Recommendations appreciated.:greenchainsaw:

I would think that a 660 would be overkill. You would probably be happy with a 70cc saw. It will cut about twice as fast as the 455. The 660 won't really show its power until you get into wood about 30" or so.

It would be overkill for what your doing, but its a fun saw.

I was thinking is your chain dull and you are heating and stretching the chain? Just asking some of the guys will have some good info for you but we got to start somewhere.

if the 455 ranchers was working then i could sujest saws in the 50-70cc category and id feel the 660 would be overkill.

a stihl ms 270 would likly do all you needed . or maybe a used 260 or 026. heck the 455 rancher you have isnt a bad saw.

i think youd better look at the operator on this one

Last edited:
Run that 455 regularly for 5 years........................................THEN get yourself a better saw.
That way you will make all of the greenhorn mistakes on a 300.00 saw and not a 1200.00 saw.

JMHO

Mike

The 455 will do the work you have to do, worn bar grooves,uneven bar rails,dull cutters on your chain, worn drive sprocket and or worn nose sprocket can all contribute to chains being thrown. You could buy a new bar,chain and replace your drive sprocket for a lot less than replacing your saw. That said, A bigger more powerful saw is a hoot to own and run but will cost you out of pocket.
Pioneerguy600

The 455 ain't the fastest or lightest, but they will get most jobs done without any flair for a homeowner or on the farm.

If you are throwing chains you have some newbie issues you need to address before picking up a saw with more power, cuz you'll still have the same issues.

The trees you describe don't need any more than a 20" bar to drop, so even a good 50-60cc saw will do.

Get yourself a couple of good chain loops(Saw shop, not the box store!), and start with a properly tensioned chain. Keep the tip outta the dirt, and learn when the chain is dull and needs the file so you don't overheat it and stretch it.
The 455 has a slightly adjustable oiler, so set it on max, and check it for oil flinging off.

Wear PPE as even the pro cutters slip up now and then, and saws do horrible things to flesh and bone.

Stick around here, search the forums for proper methods, and don't be afraid to ask questions. If somebody makes a snide comment, just accept that they have either forgotten what it was like when they were new, or simply are grumpy.

And remember that this is FUN!;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

The 455 should be a perfect saw for what you are doing, tighten that chain just a little more and learn what makes it fall off. You will learn alot with what you are doing, don't spend the big money 'till you know you need too. We have a 455 at work, I was not impressed with it at first but it has proven to be a good saw for what we do.

that 660 will weigh a ton

In addition to what everyone has already said, the 660 will weigh a lot more than you will want to carry around. And the power will be wasted on small stuff. I think someone mentioned that.

The 455 ain't the fastest or lightest, but they will get most jobs done without any flair for a homeowner or on the farm.

If you are throwing chains you have some newbie issues you need to address before picking up a saw with more power, cuz you'll still have the same issues.

The trees you describe don't need any more than a 20" bar to drop, so even a good 50-60cc saw will do.

Get yourself a couple of good chain loops(Saw shop, not the box store!), and start with a properly tensioned chain. Keep the tip outta the dirt, and learn when the chain is dull and needs the file so you don't overheat it and stretch it.
The 455 has a slightly adjustable oiler, so set it on max, and check it for oil flinging off.

Wear PPE as even the pro cutters slip up now and then, and saws do horrible things to flesh and bone.

Stick around here, search the forums for proper methods, and don't be afraid to ask questions. If somebody makes a snide comment, just accept that they have either forgotten what it was like when they were new, or simply are grumpy.

And remember that this is FUN!;)

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

:agree2:

That was a very good response yote

I would suggest getting a good chain (or two) and taking care of it. A lot of people new to saws seem to think that all you need to do is put gas in and pull the trigger (not saying that's you-- but it's a common misconception).

My mother in law has a 455 and it wouldn't cut worth a darn until I put a pro chain on it (think it was LGX). Good chain makes all the difference in the world. If I remember right the factory safety chain would heat up and stretch on her-- She didn't know any better.

For the wood you're cutting (<20" pine) this saw is just fine, and a ms660 would be too much of a step-up. Just accept that the 455 isn't the fastest out there, but it's definately adequate for the job!

That 660 WOULD be fun though!

Wow, awesome. Thanks everyone.

Yea, I know the majority of my problems are my being a novice, but I would like to get a high quality chain for the Rancher. I purchased it at Lowes (yea, I know, not the place to get quality), and all they have is the standard Husq chains & Oregon. Went to a pro shop that specializes in Stihl & was told none of their chains would fit the 455. Anyone have knowlege where I could purchase a quality chain for my saw?
Also, someone mentioned a 044. Must be a discontinued saw, what is the current equivalent?

The 441 is the new replacement for the 440 which replaced the 044. What size chain does the 455 come with? If it is 3/8 .050 gauge the stihl dealer should have that on a roll.

if the 455 ranchers was working then i could sujest saws in the 50-70cc category and id feel the 660 would be overkill.

a stihl ms 270 would likly do all you needed . or maybe a used 260 or 026. heck the 455 rancher you have isnt a bad saw.

i think youd better look at the operator on this one

:agree2:

The 441 is the new replacement for the 440 which replaced the 044. What size chain does the 455 come with? If it is 3/8 .050 gauge the stihl dealer should have that on a roll.

Yes, it's a 3/8 .050 - the whole thing was rather curious because the person who recommended the 455 had the previous generation 55, & he said he had a Stihl chain on it, & suggested I get the same & tried to do so the next day. But, not knowing anything about it myself, I didn't try to argue with the lady behind the counter at the pro shop so I left, thinking perhaps either the bar on my saw was a little different from the 55, or the sales lady made an error.

Most of the time, and there are exceptions,

when I have to ask a woman about parts, etc, she doesn't know much and tries to be a big shot and recommend something she does not even know anything about. I am not sexist, that is just what I have found around here, so please don't bash me.

The 455 is all the saw you will need with the cutting your describing. The chain throwing and other problems your having is most likely from improper usage on your part. Practice makes perfect. :)

You would be crazy to get a 660 to maintain 2 acres of land. Stick with a homeowner saw and learn from your mistakes before you bite the bullet on a pro saw. This is what I did with a cheap home depot homelite saw. I tore the piss out of that thing until I all but ruined it. Now I got a couple sweet well maintained pro saws.

Somebody is pulling your chain on the chain. You can get a chain for it anywhere they sell the pitch and gauge you need. I suggested the 044 it's a better saw than the newer ones. I don't buy the MS models they will never live as long as my old 044 will. They ain't got the guts like the old work horses do.

Mine was in logging every day for ten years and now it's in the firewood group. It cuts more there than where it was and have never had one minutes trouble from it. It's run daily and gives 110%. Look after them and the will look out for you.

The 455 will do what you want to do most of the time. I tried one and it was a joke. The bearings are incased in rubber and the mix will turn it to mush. Then the crank starts to wobble a bit before it comes out the side of the case. First hand info they look funny when they fly all to Hello in your hands. Not to mention it'll scare the crap out of a good sawyer.

Good luck and saw safe.

Back