Sugi Hara Stihl Chain Options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glockem45

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
So I understand that if I order any of the Sugi Hara Bars say in 16-25", that stock Stihl RS chains won't fit as they are about 2 links longer than what the Sugi Hara bar uses. Is this correct, and if so, what brand and size chains do you guys get?

I remain confused on this. The 25" Sugi Hara bar even says it is a 3/8 84DL chain, but if you buy a Stihl RS Yellow 84DL it will be too long. What gives guys, I'm confused.

Have you tried mounting the proper chain on it or are you just going by Internet hearsay? You can always get the chain broken and made the proper length if it is indeed too long.

I'm running a 20" Sugi bar on my ms461 , using Stihl full chiz chain 3/8 0.63 72 dl . I would recon a 25" would run a normal 3/8 0.63 84 dl chain .

I mounted 24" sugi- hara on 044, 85 dl.

Especially if want to try 8 pin rim

28" takes 93dl

36 takes 114 or 113?

Don't trust their numbers

Cannon is same way

Then why is the primary US Dealer of Sugi telling me I can't use stock length 84DL Stihl chain, and that I will have to have 2 links removed to fit the 25" Sugi bar ?
My 28" I got for my 660 I had to remove 2 links. Made all the chains I had useless for that bar. That alone has me thinking of going to a different bar or back to a Stihl bar.

24" Sugihara bar on a Dolmar 7910 running Stihl 33 RS3 chain, 84DL in the picture. I also have a Tsumara Total Super Bar 32" for this saw, running Stihl 33 RSC chain, 105DL and these are standard Stihl retail packaged loops.

Dolmar7910-24-Sugimara.JPG

I have a Sugi 28" bar. Local dealer had a buy one get one free chain saw a few months ago. Long story short i thought the Sugi 28" bar was 93 drivers, but wasnt 100% sure. Of corse the dealer didnt have any chains in that length, so I went with the 91 driver setup not knowing thats what works for a stihl 28" bar. Needless to so i will be posting these chains for sale soon.

Yes, the Sugihara 28" bar is 93DL and I think the Stihl 28" bar uses 91DL. You pretty much gotta go with what the bar wants, because the shape of the bars varies quite a bit and there's only so much adjustment range on the saw.

A rough figure is You need 6 drivers off the tail of the bar 7 with an 8 pin
This works on most saws I make chains for

Back