Sugi Hara Stihl Chain Options

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So one thought I have, is that Stihl sells their bar as a 25" yet Sugi sells it as a 24". Is there truly a 1" difference? Yet both bars say they take 84DL chains.
It's just marketing, go by the drive link count.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just marketing, go by the drive link count.

So again, there are a few folks in this thread that have said their stock chains didn't work, either too long or too short depending on the length of Sugi bar they purchased, and yet some of you are saying the DL are the same across Stihl/Sugi bars. It sounds like a crap shoot for some reason.

Two bars with the same number of drive links won't necessarily be the same working length. The shape of the bar is what is different. A circle and an oval can have the same circumference, and the oval will be longer in one dimension than the circle. You can make a 24" 84DL bar into a 25" 84DL bar simply by changing the shape. Most of the standard length OEM bars for a given chain pitch stick with a standard length chain for the simple reason that it makes it much easier for the customer to buy loops that will fit, regardless of brand. If Stihl made all of their bars one drive link different (for a given pitch and bar length) just to get you to buy their chains and bars, customers would revolt.

Aftermarket, high quality bars are a bit different. For a given length bar and pitch, the engineers may be designing the shape of the bar for optimum performance, and to hell with standard drive link count on the chain. If you're after an expensive, high performance bar you are less likely to give a rat's ass if you've got to have the loops made to an oddball drive link count (or do it yourself). It's annoying, but Cannon, Sugihara and Tsumara all do it on some of their bars. Sometimes it is obvious why they do it, as in specialty bars like carving bars, racing bars, etc. because sometimes the shape is more important to them than whether an OEM loop will fit it.

I agree, though, it's confusing and annoying for the customer... especially if buying a factory loop off the shelf is important to you.

What I'm saying is if the bar is 84dl an 84dl chain should fit. Regardless if they call it 24 or 25 inch.

Back