Summit Fire 05/22/2008

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2dogs

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The Summit Fire has burned about 4000 acres of brush and timber in southern Santa Cruz County near the community of Corralitos. The fire started near the Santa Cruz/Santa Clara county line in an area difficult to reach in the best of times. Most expansion occured the day and night of the 21st when the wind volocity reached near 50 mph. The terrain is very steep but this was a wind driven fire. Had the fire started without the wind I doubt it would have reached 20 acres because of fuel moisture and our local weather. More likely less than 10 acres even though the fire started (was reported) at 05:20. The area is served by Cal Fire full time and volunteer units.

During March 2006, IIRC, the main road into the area from the Santa Clara County side washed out in a storm. I happened to be staying at Camp Loma for a Boy Scout adult leader training during the storm. I had come down the road to the camp but had to leave out the bottom of Eureka Canyon due to a wash out that occured just above the camp. The County has ignored the washout even amidst local resident outcries. The road closure slowed down responce for many units. There are some very expensive homes in the area along with run down house/traler/shacks. The residents are engineers from Silicon Valley, wacky tobaccy farmers, locals and several reteats/camps. Many of the locals lived in uninsured homes. From what I have heard insurance rates are extrememly high in the area. I can believe why.

Our family has several friends who live in the area of the fire. So far all of them hve dodged the bullet and have not lost a house. About 20 houses have been lost. Ron is retired and pushing 80. He and his wife were coming back from a 3 week driving trip and were in beautiful Barstow when they saw the news on thier motel TV. His house sits on the top of a ridge above the fire but the wind was on his side and pushed the fire away from his house. Still, after the wind died the fire ran uphill to 1/4 mile from his house. He had to birddog 2 handcrews down Bonzai road to a hotspot.

Nancy is also retired, her husband died a few years ago. She lives a mile down a dirt road from the "main" road. The fire took several houses on her road but spared hers. Camp Loma was given a 1% chance to make it through the fire but when the dozer crews found the camp had running water and a full propane tank the made it thier home. At one time there was 3 dozers and 3 engines protecting the camp. The crews fired up the water heaters and broke into the huge kitchen and they were NOT going to let the camp burn!. It is amazing what the promise of a hot shower can accomplish.

I will add a Cal Fire link and add some pics (as I get time). My son Cody and I spent the day at Ron's house which is a few miles past the road blocks. The fire should fully controlled by the end of the week and mop up will last another week. I hope! My boss has been out of state for a wedding so I doubt I will get any work out of this, but I can hope.

The reason I posted this here is our county has banned logging on any parcel under 40 acres. The various fire departments require homeowners to clear their properties but the county won't issue permits. Neighbors complain about other neighbors when they cut brush. Many lots are covered in old cars and trash. The threat of being shot by drug dealers is real so many parcels go uninspected. Meth labs turn up every year as do plantations, both with booby traps. I don't have a good answer to our problems but drugs are at the heart of so many troubles in the mountains.

http://cdfdata.fire.ca.gov/incidents/incidents_details_info?incident_id=263

A hot shower after a long shift on the line makes one feel almost human again.
I spent a Thanksgiving somewhere between LA and San Diego. The brush was 6 feet high and very unyielding. It was a high whining factor fire because the Colyfonia people limited us to 8 hour shifts to save money so we didn't make much money. We made overtime on the day they forgot to pick us up.

Even Sunset Magazine writes articles about how to landscape your house in that area. It is hard to believe that people still object to clearing out the brush around homes. I guess there's stupidity everywhere. Hope your friends make it unscathed.

Latest posts

Back