Super E-Z

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sawjo

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just won a very clean Homelite Super EZ off of E-Play. I've always wanted to try one of these little Homeys. Seller has a 99.7 favorable rating with hundreds of transactions - scooped it for $83.00. I usally just go for parts and stuff on E-Bay but the little red beauty got the better of me. Any of you Homelite guys care to comment on these little saws? I got it to play and maybe assist on small brush stuff at the burn pile.

My experience with the Homelite Super EZ AO has been most favorable. We've got one that has been in the family since new (late 60's or early 70's) and has cut loads and loads of wood. I bought another a few years ago just because it was so cheap ($20) for a runner. It seems to have been used less than my Father's saw and really cuts well. They're a lightweight saw, surprisingly powerful for their size. We run 16" bars with 3/8" regular profile chain (Oregon 72), which proves a good match for the powerhead both in balance and power.
There seem to have been three basic variations made during the production of this model. The first ones were painted aqua. The second version (like ours) was red/orange with a white band on the starter side, and an improved wrapped upper handle. The third and last were all red/orange and had some slightly different starter housings and sprocket covers. Any one of these variants is a much better than the plastic case saws Homelite replaced them with.
Overall, it is a great homeowner or trim saw. You can use it on bigger logs (16"+) but you'll find the cutting much slower in that diameter tree. These saws have no anti-vibe features, so after a few hours cutting you may feel some tingle in your arms and hands. Finally, the price you paid sounds a bit high, but if you enjoy it I think its worthwhile in the end.

sawjo said:
I just won a very clean Homelite Super EZ off of E-Play. I've always wanted to try one of these little Homeys. Seller has a 99.7 favorable rating with hundreds of transactions - scooped it for $83.00. I usally just go for parts and stuff on E-Bay but the little red beauty got the better of me. Any of you Homelite guys care to comment on these little saws? I got it to play and maybe assist on small brush stuff at the burn pile.

Given the size and age its an awesome saw.

I got one last week off ebay for $41 + 20 shipping. I put a carb kit in it and it fired up and seems to run good and strong. I still need to do some tuning on it. I bought it because they look pretty cool. Mine is the same color as the one at the site below, the air cover is the same color too, but its not that pretty the paint is peeling off pretty bad. I think the blue ones looks best.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...a646a89ddaee8f1c88256c2600186a9d?OpenDocument

They are nice little saws. They also came in 3 different engine sizes. The original had a 2.1 with later EZs at 2.3. The Super EZ had 2.5. There were numerous variants also like the EZ 250 with a special adjustment bar, and even a vibration isolated version. I think a chain brake came on some models also. I only have Super EZs and personally I think they are great for light limbing work and cutting smaller diameter trees. I like the design better than the 150s, but the 150 has a slightly larger engine. The additional manual oiler is also a nice touch on the EZs.

Have fun,
Dan

lesorubcheek said:
They are nice little saws. They also came in 3 different engine sizes. The original had a 2.1 with later EZs at 2.3. The Super EZ had 2.5. There were numerous variants also like the EZ 250 with a special adjustment bar, and even a vibration isolated version. I think a chain brake came on some models also. I only have Super EZs and personally I think they are great for light limbing work and cutting smaller diameter trees. I like the design better than the 150s, but the 150 has a slightly larger engine. The additional manual oiler is also a nice touch on the EZs.

Have fun,
Dan

The early orignal, blue, EZs also only had a manual oiler without an auto. Later on the model name changed to MINI and some of those had full anti-vibe and chainbrake.

sawjo,

Super Ez and Super Mini VI are great saws. They are very robust and will handle working hard all day. Good, hardy saw. You will be pleased having a bit of Homelite history (when they made good pro and consumer saws). I still run several big Homelites and the Super Mini VI is one of my standard light limbing saws. Great saw and runs very well. They certainly aren't light weight, but I never seem to remember that being an issue. As I have said repeatedly, I like a saw to have a manual over-ride for the bar oiler and the Super EZ and Super Mini VI has that feature. To me, a big plus and noticeable lacking on many "modern" saws. Just an insurance thing, but I find it comforting.

Back