super split splitters

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burlman

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I took out my old super split today to chop up a few blocks that we dragged home from the first removal of the season( short season, T- shirts today tomorrows forecast 6in. of wet snow) anyway I was servicing the splitter , and noticed the manufacturing plate that claims I have now had this splitter for 20 years . I remember being sceptical of these machines when they were introduced, I mean 2 flywheels and a rack and pinion ram as opposed to the traditional hydraulic systems. well here it is still on the job. any one else out there tried or has one of these splitters.

yes thry are still being made. I believe it goes under the name of gripo splitter but that could be just the french name on it now I think they are made in montreal now. In all the use I put mine through I'll say I did little work to it. When the dealer I went to see offered it to me to try for a weekend, I was hooked, mainly it was the speed I liked, around a 3 second cycle. It is kinda like slicing baloney on an electric meat slicer. It has a few draw backs like in big narly, yellow birch, or white elm, the wedge is more like a knife, it slices the wood, not like a wide wedge hydraulic that forces the wood open. but in a nice run of maple I'll split and pile 2 cords an hour alone.

Fellow Quebecer

Burlman;

I grew up in Aylmer Que. and used to go skiing at Vorlage and Edelwise. I went to Philemon Wright high school in Hull. I'm sure you have heard of all these places. I now live in Coboconk Ontario northeast of Toronto and run a small firewood business. Also glad to hear your splitter is still running after all those years. I have a hydraulic splitter that is at least 20 years old as well. It has 14 HP Wisconsin engine on it and a big cylinder. I should measure it some day.
How about some pictures of your splitter.

I saw one on ebay. The guy has had it for 15-20 years and it still works great, he claims. I was gonna go check it out, since he lived near by but never giot the time. I don't think it sold. Maybe because his reserve was $1000.

I have 2 that are 26 years old (older than I am), and one that is 22, plus one thats 6 months old, and will probably order another soon. We split as much with our super-splitters as about anyone I'd bet. We've tried all but the powersplit (I've had a 16way built-rite, and have a tw7 timberwoolf) and the super splits are by far the fastest.....

Last edited:
Sure looks like the way to go,but how good does it work in red elm?Me and my friends cut alot of wood out of fencerows and it all has alot of forks and knots.

Back